Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

"O's will dangle Tillman & Matusz more so than Arrieta & Britton"

"O's will dangle Tillman & Matusz more so than Arrieta & Britton"

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 2nd, 2012, 11:27 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orio ... otogallery

The club will look to dangle Tillman and Matusz more so than Arrieta and Britton, who the team feels still have significant upsides.

But the Orioles are confident other teams will be intrigued by all four at the winter meetings.

Not sure how I feel about that. I think Tillman certainly has the most value at this point in time, so if the team feels Arrieta and Britton will hit their upsides then trading Tillman now does make the most sense.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: "O's will dangle Tillman & Matusz more so than Arrieta & Britton"

PostPost #2 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 11:55 pm

I agree with the logic behind it. Tillman is out of options while Arrieta and Britton both are more talented than Matusz. Also, Tillman and Matusz probably have more value than Britton and Arrieta with the way last season ended.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 3rd, 2012, 12:08 am

Matt P wrote:I agree with the logic behind it. Tillman is out of options while Arrieta and Britton both are more talented than Matusz. Also, Tillman and Matusz probably have more value than Britton and Arrieta with the way last season ended.

I love the sell high attitude. I've been one of Tillman's biggest supporters and was glad to see him have a breakout season but I think now would be a great time to trade him. His success last year in the AL East has to make him an attractive piece. He did have a sub-3 ERA but a 4+ FIP which would lend credence to selling high.

That being said I wouldn't be upset if they kept him either...
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » December 3rd, 2012, 12:10 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:so if the team feels Arrieta and Britton will hit their upsides then trading Tillman now does make the most sense.

If that's how they fell and that's what they go with then I sure hope they're right. I do agree that Britton and Arrieta have bigger upsides but their inconsistencies have been maddening. Although that's exactly what we were saying about Tillman before this past season. Maybe with a couple more veteran SPs Arrieta and Britton can begin the season at AAA to refine their game much like Tillman this year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Matt P » December 3rd, 2012, 1:16 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
I love the sell high attitude. I've been one of Tillman's biggest supporters and was glad to see him have a breakout season but I think now would be a great time to trade him. His success last year in the AL East has to make him an attractive piece. He did have a sub-3 ERA but a 4+ FIP which would lend credence to selling high.

That being said I wouldn't be upset if they kept him either...

Yeah, I remember last year a lot of debate over Tillman and only a few of us thought he could still turn it around. I feel the same in that I wouldn't be upset if we kept him but he definitely has the best value. If he is the pitcher a team like KC demands for a Butler type hitter I would move him though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 7:52 am

Matt P wrote:I remember last year a lot of debate over Tillman and only a few of us thought he could still turn it around

I was one of those that almost gave up on him. It wasn't because of a lack of talent, it was because he refused to listen to what he was told. Once he did then the talent made a difference.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » December 3rd, 2012, 8:48 am

I never hear Steve Johnson mentioned even though he's only 25.Why's that? They don't want to move him?
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 8:57 am

mikezpen wrote:I never hear Steve Johnson mentioned even though he's only 25.Why's that? They don't want to move him?

I don't think his value has been recognized by the league yet.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 3rd, 2012, 10:31 am

ofahn wrote:
I don't think his value has been recognized by the league yet.

Duquette has said a few times this off season that other teams really like him.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 3rd, 2012, 10:43 am

Matt P wrote:Duquette has said a few times this off season that other teams really like him.

True, but that doesn't mean they are willing to give fair value for him yet.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles