Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back to 2013 Left Field

Re: Back to 2013 Left Field

PostPost #31 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2012, 5:29 pm

Matt P wrote:Will he go after Swisher as a FA

IMO his best position is BAT. I would rather sign LaRoche and his plus defense for 2/25M before I would sign Swisher as a full time DH at 3/40M.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #32 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 5:35 pm

ofahn wrote:
IMO his best position is BAT. I would rather sign LaRoche and his plus defense for 2/25M before I would sign Swisher as a full time DH at 3/40M.

Swisher isn't going to sign as a full time DH though. He's a good fielder.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #33 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2012, 5:48 pm

Matt P wrote:Swisher isn't going to sign as a full time DH though. He's a good fielder.

On our team he would be either a 1B or the LF. Chris Davis is NOT a plus defender, but I don't see him as much worse than Swisher; and Swisher is probably going to decline through the contract. Swisher will also NOT be a plus defender in LF. Again, I don't see him as a significant improvement over Davis there. IMO we would be better off spending the money on LaRoche and having a plus defender for at least one position.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #34 by Old Sneakers » December 2nd, 2012, 6:01 pm

My guess is a deal gets made. I have doubts about it being a cleanup hitter with so-so defensive skills. Though personally I would welcome a player with good on base and excellent defense. I know we need to get power from certain positions, but ideally we seek balance in the lineup.

Question is, what is the cost?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #35 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 7:50 pm

ofahn wrote:
On our team he would be either a 1B or the LF. Chris Davis is NOT a plus defender, but I don't see him as much worse than Swisher; and Swisher is probably going to decline through the contract. Swisher will also NOT be a plus defender in LF. Again, I don't see him as a significant improvement over Davis there. IMO we would be better off spending the money on LaRoche and having a plus defender for at least one position.

I think offensively that Swisher is so much better and more consistent than LaRoche it would cancel out the fact Swisher is a good defensive player and LaRoche is a plus defender at 1B. Who knows what Swisher could do at 1B if he signed and they told him to be ready to play 1B everyday. Same with Davis, he was once touted as a Gold Glove type 1B.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #36 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2012, 8:11 pm

Matt P wrote:I think offensively that Swisher is so much better and more consistent than LaRoche

What do you base that on?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #37 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 8:25 pm

ofahn wrote:
What do you base that on?

He's coming off a career year in which he wasn't as good offensively as Swisher was last year. Also, maybe I'm wrong but I am pretty sure I remember reading back when he was a free agent last time he was usually a slow starter who ended the season hot. Either way, I don't think he really wants to come to Baltimore. He could have come two years ago but decided against it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #38 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 2nd, 2012, 9:01 pm

Matt P wrote:It'll be interesting to see where Dan goes with this.

Will he re-sign McLouth after 2 months of mediocre play? Will he go after Swisher as a FA who can get on base and play mediocre defense? Will he try and deal for someone? Will he stick with someone in house like Reimold, Davis, or Hoes? Hopefully we find out this week.

I think he ends up going with either McLouth or Reimold.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #39 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2012, 9:26 pm

Matt P wrote:
He's coming off a career year in which he wasn't as good offensively as Swisher was last year. Also, maybe I'm wrong but I am pretty sure I remember reading back when he was a free agent last time he was usually a slow starter who ended the season hot. Either way, I don't think he really wants to come to Baltimore. He could have come two years ago but decided against it.

I don't see the difference between them at the plate, but I believe that LaRoche is SUBSTANTIALLY better at 1B than Swisher.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #40 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 10:37 pm

ofahn wrote:
I don't see the difference between them at the plate, but I believe that LaRoche is SUBSTANTIALLY better at 1B than Swisher.

LaRoche in a career year was just about the same as Swisher and Swisher has been the same since he arrived in New York. Sure, he's probably going to be a lot better than Swisher at 1B defensively but Swisher would likely play LF with Davis at 1B. Davis was touted as a great defensive 1B while he was in the Texas system. Don't forget that when he got to Baltimore he was playing 3B and 1B. Once they decide where he is going to be playing he will be able to focus on that full time to prepare for next season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by ofahn » December 2nd, 2012, 11:06 pm

Matt P wrote:LaRoche in a career year was just about the same as Swisher and Swisher has been the same since he arrived in New York. Sure, he's probably going to be a lot better than Swisher at 1B defensively but Swisher would likely play LF with Davis at 1B. Davis was touted as a great defensive 1B while he was in the Texas system. Don't forget that when he got to Baltimore he was playing 3B and 1B. Once they decide where he is going to be playing he will be able to focus on that full time to prepare for next season.

If LaRoche was a switch hitter like Swisher he would be perfect.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #42 by osforlife » December 5th, 2012, 5:19 pm

Nate McLouth resigned..Steve Pearce still hanging around..Is option C coming true?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #43 by Matt P » December 5th, 2012, 6:25 pm

I don't think McLouth signed to platoon.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #44 by ofahn » December 5th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Matt P wrote:I don't think McLouth signed to platoon.

Probably not, but it's not his choice.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #45 by Matt P » December 6th, 2012, 11:26 am

ofahn wrote:
Probably not, but it's not his choice.

It was his choice to sign a 1 year contract in an attempt to re-establish his value and get a multi year deal next off season. He could have signed with a lot of teams that would have guaranteed him an everyday job to do just that. He chose the Orioles because he likes it in Baltimore but also because of the opportunity. If they told him he wouldn't be the everyday LF he would have never re-signed.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles