Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Words can't describe how much I miss baseball

Words can't describe how much I miss baseball

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 26th, 2012, 10:13 pm

I'm a huge Ravens fan. They're always good and they usually hold me off until baseball starts again. Not this year.

I still follow the Ravens closely but it's really unbelievable to me how much more fun it is to follow winning baseball.

Less than 3 months until pitchers and catchers report.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Words can't describe how much I miss baseball

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 26th, 2012, 11:10 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Less than 3 months until pitchers and catchers report.

IMO there are two seasons in the year. Baseball and winter.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 27th, 2012, 12:08 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:it's really unbelievable to me how much more fun it is to follow winning baseball.

Totally agree. Having never followed a winning Orioles team (I'm 21), I never knew it could be so exciting.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 27th, 2012, 12:09 am

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
Totally agree. Having never followed a winning Orioles team (I'm 21), I never knew it could be so exciting.

I think it has something to do with the fact that baseball is played almost daily. And it's a much more complicated game.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » November 27th, 2012, 9:46 am

Yeah, I just have a tough time sitting through football the past four years. It's like 2 minutes of football followed by 4 minutes of commercials. Then there are the rules. It's barely the same sport from 20 years ago. Completely different from the late 70s or early 80s. I just can't do it anymore.

As for baseball. Yes, I am excited. However I don't expect the team to repeat the level of success it had last year. I see a .500 team.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #6 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 27th, 2012, 11:25 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think it has something to do with the fact that baseball is played almost daily. And it's a much more complicated game.

Completely agree. With football the games are very intense but the reality is there are only 16 games in the regular season. No matter how emotionally attached you may get with your favorite football team it doesn't even come close to the emotional investment in a baseball team (if you're a serious fan of course) with the 162 game schedule. They're on almost every night and the vast majority of the games have moments that are just as intense as you would see in a NFL game. I also agree the complexity of baseball really gets you wrapped up in the games. It's like the more you understand the more wrapped up you get. Casual baseball fans may not understand the significance of a leadoff single in the 8th inning when your team is down a run or the frustration of a leadoff walk given up in that situation. Understanding the game makes it more exciting.

Baseball was starting to become my favorite sport to follow before the O's amazing 2012 season (although it's not like the Redskins had given me much to follow over the past decade), but this year definitely put baseball over the top for me regardless of how the Redskins finish their season.

Thank goodness baseball has a short offseason.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by steve » November 28th, 2012, 2:12 pm

Thats why we need winter baseball. Just like the NBA has a summer league. Winter baseball both in Florida and in Arizona.
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #8 by osforlife » November 28th, 2012, 5:58 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:Baseball was starting to become my favorite sport to follow before the O's amazing 2012 season (although it's not like the Redskins had given me much to follow over the past decade), but this year definitely put baseball over the top for me regardless of how the Redskins finish their season.

Idk, I think the Redskins might make a run :D I predicted 8-8 at the beginning of the season; that'll come true if they win 3 of the last 5 and they'll probably beat Philadelphia, Dallas, and Cleveland. Need to beat one of Baltimore and/or New York.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 5:17 pm

Yeah, other than fantasy I don't care much about the NFL.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 2nd, 2012, 9:07 pm

Matt P wrote:Yeah, other than fantasy I don't care much about the NFL.

Fantasy football definitely helps me get through too.

For some reason I have never really played fantasy baseball but I would like to get an ON league going for this season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 10:31 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Fantasy football definitely helps me get through too.

For some reason I have never really played fantasy baseball but I would like to get an ON league going for this season.

I would definitely be down.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by osforlife » December 3rd, 2012, 5:22 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Fantasy football definitely helps me get through too.

I've also never played fantasy baseball and would like to start. I think a league on here would be fun.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 3rd, 2012, 6:32 pm

osforlife wrote:I've also never played fantasy baseball and would like to start. I think a league on here would be fun.

We'll definitely have it this year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles