Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Has The Denard Span Trade To The Nationals Affected The Orioles?

Has The Denard Span Trade To The Nationals Affected The Orioles?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 4:58 pm

Now that the Twins have traded CF Span to the Nats, how does that affect the Os? Moving Span into the Washington OF will require moving Michael Morse somewhere, and 1B is a natural fit although a trade is not out of the question. If the Nats decide Morse at 1B eliminates their interest in Adam LaRoche then his most viable opportunity for the three year deal he has been seeking is gone and his market has significantly shrunk.

Boston is still a possibility, but they're unlikely to go three years now that the Nats may be out of it. The Brewers and Pirates are both looking for a 1B but their budgets are limited and they may look at Mark Reynolds first, and players like James Loney after him.

The Orioles can afford two years at about 25M for a defensively solid, LH power hitting, 1B. It may come down to us and Boston and we have a better chance of being in the playoffs next year than they do.

You don't think that DD saw this coming several weeks ago when he declined Reynolds' option do you..................?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Has The Denard Span Trade To The Nationals Affected The Orioles?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » November 29th, 2012, 6:31 pm

It is a legit option; But I would rather take Chris Davis at 3.3mil than Adam Laroche at...13mil? Even though LaRoche provides much better defense and a SLIGHTLY better bat. I really only see a need to get Joe Saunders, Nate McLouth, maybe Jeff Baker/Jeff Keppinger, and minor league depth.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #3 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 7:11 pm

osforlife wrote:It is a legit option; But I would rather take Chris Davis at 3.3mil than Adam Laroche

Why does it to be one or the other? If Reynolds stayed Davis was going to play LF or DH.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » November 29th, 2012, 7:30 pm

ofahn wrote:
Why does it to be one or the other? If Reynolds stayed Davis was going to play LF or DH.

I see Betemit and Reimold DHing. I don't like CD in the outfield.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 7:33 pm

osforlife wrote:I don't like CD in the outfield

I agree that he's average, at best, in LF; but he's average, at best, at 1B. Why not put a plus defender at 1B and hope that Davis works hard on his OF game?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » November 29th, 2012, 8:42 pm

ofahn wrote:
I agree that he's average, at best, in LF; but he's average, at best, at 1B. Why not put a plus defender at 1B and hope that Davis works hard on his OF game?

Because I believe he has a better chance of becoming above-average at 1B than the outfield. He was equally bad at both positions this year, but he looked really terrible in the outfield IMO. Every part of his defense was really bad excluding his CANNON; Bad routes, bad range, bad reads. He was supposed to be an above average first baseman when we got him. Then he ended up working at 3B for alot of the winter. I think he could become at least average there.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 9:53 pm

osforlife wrote:Bad routes, bad range, bad reads.

Agreed, but a good deal of that is fixable. What I like most about Davis is the same thing I liked about Reynolds: they're smart guys who put the team first. If we ask them they'll work hard to get better at a specific position.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 30th, 2012, 12:41 am

ofahn wrote:

I agree with this. I've said it before I actually think he has a better shot of be coming an average defender in the OF over 1B. Love that he would get to put his incredible arm (best throwing arm on the team IMO, watched him throw out Teixeira trying for a double in game 1 of the ALDS is throws are strong and accurate from the OF) to good use. He just seems to have slow reactions and seems stiff, neither of which bode well for playing the infield. I also think that 1B is underrated in terms of defensive importance, the first baseman handles almost ALL throws made in the infield. That was one of Reynolds' biggest strengths because of his great hands and I would worry that Davis would have problems with that (which is NOT necessarily correctable, you can't teach hand eye coordination). And he did have a few nice diving catches in his short time in the OF this year...

Also FWIW in a similar number of innings Davis' fangraphs Defensive Runs Saved were better in the OF than at 1B. An extremely small sample size (about 350 innings at each position) but hey it's something.

ALSO, his bat would profile better in LF. Just sayin'.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » December 1st, 2012, 4:46 am

One thing to keep in mind regarding Chris Davis was that 2012 was a career year for him. I personally would like to see him tried at 1B and an alternate option in LF and when hot at DH. What bugs me most is that he's 26 years old and we do not know where he belongs. By now that shouldn't be on the agenda.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #10 by ofahn » December 1st, 2012, 12:09 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:One thing to keep in mind regarding Chris Davis was that 2012 was a career year for him

What you said is TECHNICALLY true, but when a young player is on the way up he normally has two or three "career" years in a row as they reach their potential. I think that this year he finally got a chance to play every day and showed his ability. IMO if he can learn to lay off the low outside pitch he could make a substantial improvement over last season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles