Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

Re: Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

PostPost #46 by Shorebirdfan » March 29th, 2011, 3:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ch72TpQn0

Here's a video I found on Taylor Guerrieri.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #47 by Don » March 30th, 2011, 10:00 am

At this point, Taylor is simply based on potential. He does not completely repeat his delivery and the minor differences in foot placement, bend, arm angle are "tells" to better players. What you have to like about him is his frame, his effort compared to his makeup, he has solid foundation mechanically. His age, proper teaching, strict regimen, make him a worthwilde prospect that ranks as one of the better prep pitchers in this draft.

If he played in Florida or Southren California, I think he would be getting a great deal more pub and the Law's of the world would have him ranked as the best pitcher. There are some quality prep guys that can still make waves on the board including Norris, Bradley, Owens and this is a fluid group that will not be set in stone until a week or two before the draft.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #48 by docjj » March 30th, 2011, 2:34 pm

How about Illinois prospect Nick Burdi? I hear very good things about him. He's a Louisville commit, but his fastball is solid mid 90's and he's racing up the boards....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #49 by Don » March 30th, 2011, 2:58 pm

I know of him, but not much to write home about at this time for Nick Burdi. He sits in the upper 80's with some life on it and he could have three pitches down the road, but his change up and slider need work. He throws a curveball, but I not sure it translates at this time. He honeslty is a tall, slinder guy that should stay with his Louisville commitment. He is still in the top 50 of players in the prep ranks, but I do not expect him to be an early round pick, 5-7 is likely. He, like Taylor, shows a good frame, etc... He simply looks to benefit from some seasoning. Some scout could fall in love and overslot, but he looks to be back of the rotation best in my honest assessment.

This review is on my thoughts while seeing him in the summer showcases. He has talent, but I do not group him with the Joe Ross, Kevin Comer, Michael Kelly, etc...

If I were in his inner circle, I would point to Tony Zych as a good starting point. These guys were similar in thier age groups and Zych made some good strides at Louisville and could end up as a second round draft pick this summer.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #50 by docjj » March 30th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Here's a good link I found online. Sounds like a really good crop of high school arms this year.

http://athletics.scout.com/2/1059633.html
docjj
DSL Orioles

PostPost #51 by Don » April 1st, 2011, 9:59 am

The prep arms pale in comparison to the sheer depth and talent of the College pitching this season. I said a few weeks back that the first round could very well be 50% College Pitchers, which has not happened in a long time.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #52 by Don » April 3rd, 2011, 9:43 pm

It seems Nick Burdi has found some muscle and size since the summer showcases. I was told that he sat in the low 90's and a decent slider. My friend, who also was sitting next to Law, was not high on him at all. He does not like the kids slot and thinks he is strictly a bullpen pitcher. His stuff is good enough, but he is going in the early middle rounds at best.

He could still use the schooling and maybe develop a bit more. He would get stronger and havea chance to come out higher and short term to majors, both increasing his value and draft slot.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #53 by docjj » April 6th, 2011, 11:30 am

Any thoughts on C.J. Crohn where he fits? Late first round maybe? He's been murdering the ball this year, and that's with every pitcher avoiding the strike zone like the plague...
docjj
DSL Orioles

PostPost #54 by Don » April 6th, 2011, 12:37 pm

Do you mean C.J Cron out of Utah?

If so, he had a very poor season in summer ball (Cape League) and actually tore his knee up cutting his summer short. I have not seen anything on him this spring, but he also plays in the MWC. He can exploit half of the league with the weaker competition, so the overall body of work has to be taken with a slight grain.

He will most likely be stuck at DH with the better outlook on the corners. I am not quite sure he can hit well enough to be a first round pick, but sandwhich or second round is nothing to sneeze at either.

I will ask one of my friends who is a Southwest Area scout and see what he could say, but he is not the type of guy in the Orioles plans.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #55 by Don » April 9th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Hultzen has established himself of being a top 10 pick and likely the second or third arm off the board depending on who likes his skill set over Jed Bradley. 8 innings and 12 strikeouts and improving numbers could mean that he has more in the tank than most have thought. If a orgnaization thinks he can continue some growth on his base, he could be the top lefty on the board. If teams feel that he is "maxed out", they could take Bradley because he still has some room in the pants to build off his solid 6-4 frame and could see some growth because he constantly attacks right handed batters, which is rare for a draft eligible lefty.

Pope was eventually tatooed in the third go around giving up 4 runs and seven hits, 3 in the seventh. He lost control of his command and guys were hitting him squarely; It becomes the factor because teams feel that he cannot last multiple times through a lineup.

Bradley goes tonight and a solid performance takes them back to neck and neck in the eye of the beholder status.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #56 by Don » April 9th, 2011, 12:57 pm

If Cole does not go number 1, this process is a complete joke of a draft. I swear Cole is better right now that almost every third starter in the majors right now. I watch his game from last week and he is what I would call a dominate starting pitcher.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #57 by Don » April 9th, 2011, 1:00 pm

I happen to be given tape on Andrew Susac I he could be reaching the later stages of the top ten in my opinion. He shows alot of potential in the bat and teams were already aware that the Beavers backstop ability was above average. I think he is the top catcher on the board, but not in play for the Orioles, well unless he starts to tear a new one with the temperatures rising in the North Pacific.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #58 by Don » April 9th, 2011, 1:06 pm

I am not as high on Taylor Jungmann as some, but he has made his mark to become the second right handed college pitcher off the board. I am slightly cautious on his delivery, but not enough to think he cannot start. I think he needs to simply extend his stride a bit further and it could keep him from crossing his body slightly.

He simply steam rolled Baylor yesterday. He struck out 10 over 8 and sprayed 5 hits throughout the evening. My friend watched him and simply said he made Baylor look like a Legion baseball team.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #59 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 10th, 2011, 10:09 am

A few Jim Callis tweets:

Taylor Guerrieri on Thurs: Tons of 97s. Several 98s. 94-95 in 7th. Several SDs w/ top 10 pick in attendance.

Dylan Bundy now 5-0 w/ 66 Ks in 30 IP. Scout told me he'd be first HS arm off the board, maybe 3rd overall
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #60 by Don » April 10th, 2011, 11:53 am

I have been high on Dylan for sometime and it is great to see that he is improving on last season. His cutter is by far his best pitch off the 4 seamer and I really like those guys that can live off of pitches that never require the amount of elbow/wrist movement. I really think Bundy is going to be in the top 5, if the Diamondbacks somehow think Hultzen falls to 7th he could go three. I know Lee has seen him in person and came away extreamly impressed. I would not be surprised if Joe was to visit in person.

As for Taylor, I saw a tape from two weeks ago. It was not as good as Calis tweeted, but he still came away impressive. I think he needs to tweak some aspects of his game on the mound. I project him rather well with the minor movements, but he is not quite in the range of Bundy and might fall somewhere in the 5-10 range.

One name to place on the tip of the tongue, Travis Harrison. He is not for the first pick, but he can now be had in the second round as his stock should be dropping. It is someone I would not pass up on if I were Joe Jordan and ounce on if available.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to MLB Draft