Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Acquire INF Danny Valencia From Boston

Orioles Acquire INF Danny Valencia From Boston

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 28th, 2012, 2:20 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/blogs/baltimo ... om-boston/

The Orioles today announced that they have acquired INF DANNY VALENCIA from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for cash considerations. To make room on the 40-man roster, INF JOE MAHONEY has been designated for assignment.

Valencia, 28, appeared in 44 games for Minnesota (34G) and Boston (10G) in 2012, batting a combined .188/.199/.299. He is a career .316/.359/.472 hitter in 326 plate appearances against left-handed pitching. In 2011, Valencia led the major leagues in games played at third base (154) and led the AL in assists as a third baseman (260), while batting .246/.294/.383 with 15 home runs and 72 RBI for the Twins.

Mahoney, 25, batted .265/.319/.389 in 132 games for Triple-A Norfolk in 2012. He also made his major league debut, appearing in two games for the Orioles, going 0-for-4.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles Acquire INF Danny Valencia From Boston

PostPost #2 by birdwatcher55 » November 28th, 2012, 3:59 pm

I like this move the more I think about it 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 4:00 pm

Is this the first step in a dance that involves the trade of JJ Hardy? If Valencia plays 3B Machado could move to SS. Hmm, I wonder.........................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by osforlife » November 28th, 2012, 6:07 pm

ofahn wrote:Is this the first step in a dance that involves the trade of JJ Hardy? If Valencia plays 3B Machado could move to SS. Hmm, I wonder.........................

I wouldn't consider Valencia a major league third basemen after two years of poor play. Now we have Valencia, Waring, Wheeler, Kelly, and Britton who could all play third base for the tides.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 6:15 pm

osforlife wrote:I wouldn't consider Valencia a major league third basemen after two years of poor play. Now we have Valencia, Waring, Wheeler, Kelly, and Britton who could all play third base for the tides.

Waring doesn't have a ML glove at ANY position and 3B may be his worst. Britton is also NOT a natural 3B. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out between Kelly, Wheeler (who will play next season at 26), and Valencia.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » November 28th, 2012, 6:23 pm

ofahn wrote:
Waring doesn't have a ML glove at ANY position and 3B may be his worst. Britton is also NOT a natural 3B. It will be interesting to see how it shakes out between Kelly, Wheeler (who will play next season at 26), and Valencia.

I probably see it going down as...Waring- Tides DH, Britton- Tides 2B, Valencia- Tides 3B, Wheeler- Tides SS, Kelly- Tides RF, Avery CF, Hoes LF, Mahoney(I don't think any team will put him on a 40-man roster) 1B, Caleb Joseph C. haha thats why I'd do.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 6:48 pm

osforlife wrote:I probably see it going down as...Waring- Tides DH, Britton- Tides 2B, Valencia- Tides 3B, Wheeler- Tides SS, Kelly- Tides RF, Avery CF, Hoes LF, Mahoney(I don't think any team will put him on a 40-man roster) 1B, Caleb Joseph C. haha thats why I'd do.

I see Flaherty as their 2B and Schoop as their SS by mid year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » November 28th, 2012, 9:11 pm

ofahn wrote:
I see Flaherty as their 2B and Schoop as their SS by mid year.

Forgot about Flaherty. He can play everyday by spotting at DH, 1B, 2B, SS, 3B, LF, and RF. I think Schoop should start the year at Bowie.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 9:15 pm

osforlife wrote:I think Schoop should start the year at Bowie.

So do I, but I can see him as Norfolk's SS by mid June or so.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » November 29th, 2012, 10:30 am

My two cents: On the face of it, this is hardly a blockbuster move. However, we have seen moves like this prove to be very astute in the past. Whether we made a substantial gain, or simply rolled the dice we acquired this player for cash only.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » November 29th, 2012, 1:29 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:My two cents: On the face of it, this is hardly a blockbuster move. However, we have seen moves like this prove to be very astute in the past. Whether we made a substantial gain, or simply rolled the dice we acquired this player for cash only.

Or the Orioles bought Valencia to flip him to another team in a trade.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #12 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Or the Orioles bought Valencia to flip him to another team in a trade.

Possible, but it just doesn't have that feel to it. If another team wanted him they could have bought him. I see this as DD playing chess on a board he's not showing to anyone outside of the Warehouse.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 5:18 pm

Nice AAA depth with the potential to bounce back. I've said it many times but I love me some Duquetteball 8-)
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #14 by Jordan Tuwiner » December 2nd, 2012, 9:06 pm

Matt P wrote:Nice AAA depth with the potential to bounce back. I've said it many times but I love me some Duquetteball 8-)

Since DD made the trade, you just get the feeling it is going to work out.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #15 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 10:30 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Since DD made the trade, you just get the feeling it is going to work out.

Even if it doesn't I like that he is going after high on base guys. Like last year not everyone worked out but they were worthy gambles (Tolleson, Antonelli, etc.). Chances are it won't work out but if the guy can get on base and make even a small impact like a Tolleson or Pearce did last year it will be a success.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles