Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Anyone interested in Pelfrey or Butler?

Anyone interested in Pelfrey or Butler?

PostPost #1 by docjj » November 27th, 2012, 7:27 pm

The Mets are going to non-tender Mike Pelfrey. Now, he's coming off TJ surgery and he's a Bore-A$$ client. But he's 28 and most guys bounce back from TJ surgery nicely. He's not a strikeout pitcher and his career BB:K rate is poor- which is surprising because he's a huge guy (6'7 250 lb).

Also, the Royals are shopping Billy Butler. The Mariners are trying hard to land him. The O's may have some young pitching the Royals crave- Matusz and Arrieta. Any interest here?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Anyone interested in Pelfrey or Butler?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 27th, 2012, 9:53 pm

docjj wrote:The Mets are going to non-tender Mike Pelfrey. Now, he's coming off TJ surgery and he's a Bore-A$$ client. But he's 28 and most guys bounce back from TJ surgery nicely. He's not a strikeout pitcher and his career BB:K rate is poor- which is surprising because he's a huge guy (6'7 250 lb).

Also, the Royals are shopping Billy Butler. The Mariners are trying hard to land him. The O's may have some young pitching the Royals crave- Matusz and Arrieta. Any interest here?

Pelfrey would be worth a 250K minor league signing bonus with a May 1st opt out clause. IMO he would really benefit from working with Rick Peterson, but with Boras he'll probably end up demanding a ML contract and just take the most money offered him. For his sake I hope his career survives that.

Butler can flat out HIT but he's a natural DH and Buck seems to want to use that lineup spot for fielders that need ABs. I could see KC and Seattle getting into a bidding war over him because they both NEED his bat.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by mikezpen » November 28th, 2012, 10:24 am

If all KC wanted was Matusz and Arrieta, I'd make the move.Those two could be very good-or very bad. But I'd take that chance for a bat like Butler's. We do have replacements after all.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by osforlife » November 28th, 2012, 5:41 pm

mikezpen wrote:If all KC wanted was Matusz and Arrieta, I'd make the move.Those two could be very good-or very bad. But I'd take that chance for a bat like Butler's. We do have replacements after all.

I"d make that trade in a heartbeat. Two struggling young pitchers that are projected to be in in our AAA rotation and have a good chance of topping out as quality relievers for one of the best hitters in the game. No question. As for Pelfrey, there is no such thing as a ***bad minor league deal, but that is as far as I'd go.
Last edited by osforlife on November 28th, 2012, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 6:20 pm

osforlife wrote:there is no such thing as a minor league deal

Sure there is. You can sign a MiL player for almost any amount you want. Usually, when the money gets beyond about 500K they're signed to a ML deal, but it's not required.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 6:23 pm

osforlife wrote:I"d make that trade in a heartbeat. Two struggling young pitchers that are projected to be in in our AAA rotation and have a good chance of topping out as quality relievers for one of the best hitters in the game.

I would see those two a potential #2 SP and a potential #3 SP or a end of game reliever. That being said, I would still make that trade; however, it would be a major change of policy for Buck.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » November 28th, 2012, 6:27 pm

ofahn wrote:
Sure there is. You can sign a MiL player for almost any amount you want. Usually, when the money gets beyond about 500K they're signed to a ML deal, but it's not required.

oh sorry!!!! "There is no such thing as a ***bad minor league deal. Sorry about that. :oops:
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 6:42 pm

osforlife wrote:There is no such thing as a ***bad minor league deal

How true.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » November 29th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Based on his performance down the stretch and his likely new lights out role, I'd be wary of dealing Matusz as much as I LOVE Butler. I think I might be more inclined to deal Arrieta, Wright, and maybe Delmonico 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #10 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 3:45 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I might be more inclined to deal Arrieta, Wright, and maybe Delmonico

Except that Dayton Moore might actually WANT Matusz.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » November 29th, 2012, 8:43 pm

I believe one of the most important things we do this winter is predict the success of Matusz,Arrieta,Gonzo,Tilman and Britton. We have these guys for the next 3-5 yrs I believe, so predicting who will be the best over the next 4 years will be huge. They all have shown flashes in 2012 why they might be solid #3 pitchers or better starting in 2013. Who we keep vs who we let go will be a big part of judging our success over the next 4 years. I am all for trading 2 to get a Butler type then picking up a FA like Saunders or better to cushion that. But I really hope its the right 2.

These 5 are so close that I wouldnt be suprised that almost every team has them ranked differently. Here is how I rank them covering the next 4 years as starters and none of them I would put in the no way category. I could even have it completely upside down. I am very curious how DD/Buck/RP rank them.

1. Matusz
2. Britton (if his shoulder is old news)
3. Arrieta
4. Tilman
5. Gonzo

How would you rank them over the next 4 years?
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 29th, 2012, 10:22 pm

LA Detective wrote:How would you rank them over the next 4 years?

1. Tillman
2. Arrieta
3. Britton
4. Matusz
5. Gonzo
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 10:29 pm

1. Tillman
2. Matusz
3. Britton
4. Gonzo
5. Arrieta
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 5:20 pm

1. Arrieta
2. Britton
3. Tillman
4. Matusz
5. Gonzalez
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #15 by osforlife » December 2nd, 2012, 8:33 pm

1. Tillman
2. Britton
3. Gonzalez
4. Matusz
5. Arrieta
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles