Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Jeremy Shelby and Auburn Donaldson Cut

Jeremy Shelby and Auburn Donaldson Cut

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 29th, 2011, 10:04 pm

The Orioles released OF Jeremy Shelby and IF Auburn Donaldson from minor league camp yesterday.

Shelby was the Orioles' 38th round draft pick in 2010 and the son of former O's first base coach John Shelby.

Donaldson was a 35th round selection in 2010.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Jeremy Shelby and Auburn Donaldson Cut

PostPost #2 by 2131andBeyond » March 29th, 2011, 10:37 pm

When I see this, it makes me think that we only had him (Shelby) in the organization because of his dad.

I know nothing about Donaldson.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #3 by Tenth Inning » March 29th, 2011, 11:56 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:When I see this, it makes me think that we only had him (Shelby) in the organization because of his dad.

I know nothing about Donaldson.

Donaldson was a speed/athleticism guy. Stole 43 bases for Southeastern the year before the selection. He showed pretty solid defense at second but doesn't have a bat that would play in MLB. He was experimenting with switch hitting and could get down the line quite quickly from the left side.

He's what we are quick to call an organizational player. Having spent a good deal of time speaking with his father in MiL camp, this one stings a bit on a personal level. in the global scheme, it's a no-news move, but to me it reinforces just how difficult and discouraging a grind it can be to try to stick as a non-prospect MiLB player. I'll probably write a little piece about it soon.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Don » March 30th, 2011, 9:51 am

It should not sting; it is the grind that so many countless others fail to overcome the massive amount of obsticles to become a proffesional athlete, even your highly touted players have a rough road. Bill Rowell is a recent example of even highly touted players have difficult roads. The world can be handed to you on a string and the stars still do not align for major league advacement.

I was once one of those un-fourtunate guys that simply had to find another avenue in life. The talent level between a organizational guy, a high prospect, and the everyday major leaguer is so slim that most fail to really realize it. There is a world of difference between the 97th percentile and the 99th percentile, but the two are light years ahead of even you above average college player. It is the difference between a hall of famer and the guy that never makes it big, but both are some of the best to ever lace up cleats on the diamond.

At least this kid will have the memories that so many wish to experiance. His draft day, his first day in the ballpark, the first time he put on a uniform, etc.... At first it is a disaster, but in hingsight it gives him a wealth of stories and potential life lessons to instill on future generations. It is what Donaldson can do from this point forward that will instill the test of character that brought him to this point. It should not be sad; it is simply the next chapter that he can take forward in life.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Tenth Inning » March 30th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Don wrote:It should not sting; it is the grind that so many countless others fail to overcome the massive amount of obsticles to become a proffesional athlete, even your highly touted players have a rough road. Bill Rowell is a recent example of even highly touted players have difficult roads. The world can be handed to you on a string and the stars still do not align for major league advacement.

I was once one of those un-fourtunate guys that simply had to find another avenue in life. The talent level between a organizational guy, a high prospect, and the everyday major leaguer is so slim that most fail to really realize it. There is a world of difference between the 97th percentile and the 99th percentile, but the two are light years ahead of even you above average college player. It is the difference between a hall of famer and the guy that never makes it big, but both are some of the best to ever lace up cleats on the diamond.

At least this kid will have the memories that so many wish to experiance. His draft day, his first day in the ballpark, the first time he put on a uniform, etc.... At first it is a disaster, but in hingsight it gives him a wealth of stories and potential life lessons to instill on future generations. It is what Donaldson can do from this point forward that will instill the test of character that brought him to this point. It should not be sad; it is simply the next chapter that he can take forward in life.

Well said, and I certainly don't mean to over-dramatize things. The sad fact is that this is a reality check that so many have had to and will continue to face. Scour a pickup game in the Bronx and you'll find dozens of guys with similar stories.

I'm simply noting how strange it feels to put a human face behind it. As an analyst, I try to take an objective approach to things, to treat baseball from an economist's point of view. We tend to speak of these kids as currency. But I think it's good for outsiders to get a little glimpse of the reality of things every now and then.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Return to Minor Leagues