Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Your Solution for 1B

Your Solution for 1B

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » November 27th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Reynolds?
Davis?
Smoak?
Hosmer??
Who do you like and at what cost??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Your Solution for 1B

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » November 27th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I don't see that 1st base needs a solution. Chris Davis can and will play 1st base and will put up better numbers then Reynolds.

Chris Davis career major league games at 1st base---294 games and 10 errors

Mark Reynolds career major league games at 1st base---181 games and 16 errors
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 27th, 2012, 3:25 pm

Davis.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » November 29th, 2012, 1:37 pm

It seems the Orioles are poised to let Reynolds hit the free agency market. Maybe not a bad strategy. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 3:44 pm

osforlife wrote:Davis.

...until a better option presents itself.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » November 29th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Option 1: Chris Davis
Option 2: A player that was part of a package dealt to another team for receiving a young pitcher.
Option 3: Over pay Mark Reynolds or offer a contract with incentives that make the cost bearable.

EDIT: Wanted to add the following.

Brian Matusz isn't done as a SP. But he might look and fit a great deal better elsewhere. Have a look at the following and tell me if you think Matusz and one other player might net one of those below.

Darin Ruf
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rufda01.shtml

Neftali Soto
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=soto--001nef

Daniel Vogelbach
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=vogelb000dan

The big sticking point is who is that second player. I would rule out a second SP. Though I might dangle an L.J. Hoes or even a Jason Esposito. Why? Well this team really needs a legit 1B and there is none on the horizon just yet. We aren't going to get a solid one without giving up something significant.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 29th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Over pay Mark Reynolds

I don't see that happening. I don't see the decision to decline his option and wait until yesterday to start negotiations to avoid arbitration as compatible with overpaying.

Old Sneakers wrote:offer a contract with incentives that make the cost bearable

That would be my choice, but I'm not sure it's Reynolds and he's about to be a FA so he has a lot to say about that.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 29th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Option 1: Chris Davis
Option 2: A player that was part of a package dealt to another team for receiving a young pitcher.
Option 3: Over pay Mark Reynolds or offer a contract with incentives that make the cost bearable.

EDIT: Wanted to add the following.

Brian Matusz isn't done as a SP. But he might look and fit a great deal better elsewhere. Have a look at the following and tell me if you think Matusz and one other player might net one of those below.

Darin Ruf
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rufda01.shtml

Neftali Soto
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=soto--001nef

Daniel Vogelbach
http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=vogelb000dan

The big sticking point is who is that second player. I would rule out a second SP. Though I might dangle an L.J. Hoes or even a Jason Esposito. Why? Well this team really needs a legit 1B and there is none on the horizon just yet. We aren't going to get a solid one without giving up something significant.

I can see why some would want to deal Matusz. However, I'd much rather keep him, try him as a starter, and move him back to the bullpen if he can't start.

His value is low right now and I don't think trading him at this point in time would be a smart choice.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » November 30th, 2012, 1:25 pm

My 1st Option would be if we deemed Youkilis healthy is to sign him. I know he slumped the last two years BUT those two years he was also moved to 3b and injuries mounted up. If healthy, having Markakis batting 1 and Youk 3 would give us two guys with an OBA of over .380...Now put a guy at .350 OBA batting second (McClouth/Reimold/Roberts??). Gives us a productive top of the order.

I would have CDavis working hard at 1b during the spring as the back up plan, maybe flopping back and forth at DH to keep both of them fresh and healthy. I dont think its proven that CD will never play above average there.

Then we keep all of our young pitching for ourselves giving us great depth or allowing Matusz,Britton,Gonzo,Arrieta, and Tilman to maximize their value which I dont think any of them have reached yet.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Return to Baltimore Orioles