Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Back to 2013 Left Field

Back to 2013 Left Field

PostPost #1 by osforlife » November 24th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Haven't seen a post in DAYS, so I became desperate. Let's roll through all the options for our left fielder (s) next year. Are you in favor of

A.) Standing Pat; How about letting In-House candidates, LJ Hoes, Nolan Reimold, Trayvon Robinson, fight for the spot?
B.) Signing a Free Agent; With Melky Cabrera off the market, are you a fan of Josh Hamilton, Cody Ross, Nick Swisher, etc?
C.) Re-signing Nate McLouth; We have Steve Pearce under contract through 2016, do we have a potential platoon here?
D.) Moving Chris Davis to Left; We would be seeking offensive upgrades elsewhere, and hopefully CD can handle LF?
E.) Other?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Re: Back to 2013 Left Field

PostPost #2 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 24th, 2012, 2:32 pm

I'd take D or C. I think Davis will be fine in left and his offense will make up for any defensive deficiencies and I definitely wouldn't be opposed to bringing McLouth back at the right price.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » November 24th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Honestly, I suspect the team tries to acquire an upgrade next month. If not I want Nate McLouth resigned and then he along with Reimold and Robinson to be our outfield. I've not given up on L.J. Hoes having some significant role. Though I would be in favor of more time in the minors with the outside chance he becomes an even higher OBP type player.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » November 24th, 2012, 4:23 pm

I'm in for four years on Hamilton and a team option for a 5th year.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #5 by osforlife » November 26th, 2012, 5:32 pm

I'd pick C. McLouth and Pearce would put up above average splits offensively. Hoes could spend another year in the minors developing & Davis could play 1st everyday.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » November 26th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I'm in for four years on Hamilton and a team option for a 5th year.

I'd have to think LONG and HARD about giving him a guaranteed fourth year at 25M or so.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 26th, 2012, 9:26 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd pick C. McLouth and Pearce would put up above average splits offensively. Hoes could spend another year in the minors developing & Davis could play 1st everyday.

I could live with that scenario.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » November 27th, 2012, 3:32 am

I wouldn't sign McLouth, and I don't think they will because he wants a multi-year. They Orioles have plenty of in-house options. The biggest, if they ever get his visa straightened out, is Henry Urrutia, the Cuban they signed last summer. He's slated for Bowie.

Till then, there's Avery, Hoes, Betemit, Reimold and Trevon Robinson.There's probably enough there to give them the production McLouth w/have given them-or maybe more.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » November 27th, 2012, 12:37 pm

I'd look for an every day OF option, keeping Davis in the DH/backup OF roll. I have not kept up with signings, but there should be a few available who can fill the Orioles need for a #2 hitter and average LF defense.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #10 by birdwatcher55 » November 27th, 2012, 1:28 pm

As time moves on, it appears we are hanging our hat on Reimold to be our regular LF. I'm not sure this is a great idea considering his injury history 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » November 27th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Roch Kubatko's article from earlier today talked about the upcoming meetings...

Tillman is out of options and his stock has never been higher. Is this the time for the Orioles to move him in the right deal or slot him into the April rotation and, hopefully, be further rewarded for their patience?

Tillman being out of options must be a consideration. However, if they do move him they had better get a really good ballplayer heading into the prime of his career. Arrieta seems to me, to be the better trade chip. To my thinking he also has a higher upside long term. I only bring this up because Roch Kubatko has proven pretty astute at times. Where do the rest of you line up on this?

To my thinking a guy that hits 30 HRs and only bats .240 and strikes out way too often does not represent a good return. To me you want a guy that smacks 20 HRs and bats .275 or better with a fine OBP. Am I the only one that looks at it this way?

Am I wrong to think moving one of the younger arms in exchange for first rate positional prospects might be the better way to go? If we are going to continue focusing our drafts on arms. Perhaps it's time to replenish our system at positions this way. For 2013 I see us as a .500 team. I know that must sound pessimistic to most of you. But I enjoyed 2012 and want more of that. But looking at our farm system. I just do not see anything astounding on the horizon past Bundy. Yes, Gausmann perhaps, but we just do not even know about him just yet.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #12 by osforlife » November 27th, 2012, 3:24 pm

mikezpen wrote:I wouldn't sign McLouth, and I don't think they will because he wants a multi-year. They Orioles have plenty of in-house options. The biggest, if they ever get his visa straightened out, is Henry Urrutia, the Cuban they signed last summer. He's slated for Bowie.

Till then, there's Avery, Hoes, Betemit, Reimold and Trevon Robinson.There's probably enough there to give them the production McLouth w/have given them-or maybe more.

I see McLouth having a hard time finding a multi-year deal after just 1/3 of a season of good baseball out of 3 whole seasons. Plus, we'd be playing him only against RHP in my scenario.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by mikezpen » November 28th, 2012, 10:30 am

Per Baseball Reference stats, McLouth doesn't hit righties that well and Reimold doesn't hit lefties that well. Platooning them doesn't seem too viable.And McLouth's OBA was only .342 in the leadoff slot last yr although he was very good in the postseason.

I'd rather they use the money for Saunders. Pitching , pitching, pitching.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » November 28th, 2012, 11:33 am

mikezpen wrote:Per Baseball Reference stats, McLouth doesn't hit righties that well and Reimold doesn't hit lefties that well. Platooning them doesn't seem too viable.And McLouth's OBA was only .342 in the leadoff slot last yr although he was very good in the postseason.

IMO this team should have the money for reasonable contracts for BOTH Saunders and McLouth,
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » November 28th, 2012, 5:47 pm

mikezpen wrote:Per Baseball Reference stats, McLouth doesn't hit righties that well and Reimold doesn't hit lefties that well. Platooning them doesn't seem too viable.And McLouth's OBA was only .342 in the leadoff slot last yr although he was very good in the postseason.

I don't see why we wouldn't be able to sign Saunders and McLouth both...easily. I wasn't suggesting McLouth platoon with Reimold, I suggested McLouth platoon with Pearce, who hits lefties well. McLouth has a .257/.346/.447/.793 career batting line vs RHP : Pearce has a .266/.343/.464/.807 career batting line vs LHP.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles