Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Why did we resign Cesar Izturis?

Why did we resign Cesar Izturis?

PostPost #1 by oriolesmagic28 » March 28th, 2011, 7:20 pm

I do not understand why the Orioles resigned Cesar Izturis. Granted, he has a great glove, but nothing else going for him. When it comes to his bat, they isn't much going for him. As our starting shortstop last year he hit .230 in 473 at bats. In 150 total games played last year he was only able to manage hitting one home-run. This spring he is hitting .108 in 37 at bats. So I really do not understand what Andy or Buck see in this guy. To me, he is not worth a bench job and is only taking up space on the 25 man roster, and making Buck have a tough decision with regards to Tillman, Harris, Andino, Fox, Tatum, Reymold. Unless I am missing something I do not understand why Cesar Izturis is guaranteed a bench spot on the 2011-2012 Baltimore Orioles 25-man roster.
oriolesmagic28
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Why did we resign Cesar Izturis?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 28th, 2011, 10:26 pm

We know he can't hit. But what he can do is play above-average defense at 2B, SS and 3B. He has some speed and can be used to pinch run.

Robert Andino is probably about what Izturis is at this point, but the the signing wasn't too bad.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by oriolesmagic28 » March 28th, 2011, 10:29 pm

I know but for over a million a year, all he's doing is taking up space for a younger person who could use the major league experience to grow.
oriolesmagic28
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by 2131andBeyond » March 29th, 2011, 1:29 am

oriolesmagic28 wrote:I know but for over a million a year, all he's doing is taking up space for a younger person who could use the major league experience to grow.

Izzy was signed less than 24 hours after the team traded for J.J. Hardy. Why? To be a utility infielder. With Roberts hurt often these days, he is there to be a last second replacement if needed. He is a stable stop-gap at the infield spots if needed, and can be used very successfully as a late inning pinch runner and then as a defensive replacement, therefore not necessarily giving him tons of ABs.

Yes, the team has Andino, and had Green and Harris in camp, but none of these guys are that great. Green and Harris were cut (as they were horrendous in camp), and Andino has a solid shot to take the final bench spot. That is all. Izturis is just a filler when needed, not expected to do much. As Buck has said, if we have one guy in the lineup to worry about, then it is still a pretty good lineup. Least of our worries at this point.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by oriolesmagic28 » March 29th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I get that but a minor league deal would have been better. After seeing him this spring, you gotta think that the Andy wished he hadn't promised Cesar a major league bench role.
oriolesmagic28
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles