Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Trade Andino

Re: Orioles Trade Andino

PostPost #16 by birdwatcher55 » November 21st, 2012, 3:27 pm

steve wrote:Dumb Move! What if Brian Roberts get hurt again?

I'm not happy about this trade either. For a lousy 1.8 mil I would have rather hung onto Andino who gives depth and dependability at the position not to mention a quality of toughness and attitude that played well on this team since his arrival. I wish Roberts well and hope he makes a dramatic comeback but he is still a longshot in my book. I really hope Flaherty is ready to take charge 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #17 by rudyrooster » November 21st, 2012, 6:46 pm

IF Roberts is not ready to take charge of 2b coming out of ST, then I would look for either Casillla or Flaherty to fill the void based on how they perform in ST. Edge to Casilla since Flaherty still has minor league options available. As for LF, I sense the O's are gonna let McClouth walk unless they can get him "on the cheap". That leaves Reimold, Trayvar Robinson, and L.J. Hoes in the competition. I would personally like to see Hoes get the chance to be our everyday LF'er. He doesn't hit for power, but at least he does hit the ball and plays solid defense. Reimold could become part of a platoon DH. Robinson is the "wild card". No Mil options left. Great athleticism but unable to put it together at the Major League level with the Mariners. Even though he's just 25 he will have to "poop or get off the pot" this coming ST. It looks like DD is zeroing in on a 1b/DH acquisition as the major goal this offseason. Looks like Reynolds will be non-tendered and allowed to walk. DD should strike a deal to get Billy Butler from KC. These are just my gut feelings...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #18 by mikezpen » November 21st, 2012, 11:37 pm

Andino isn't that much of a loss. He simply didn't hit.They can easily replace him.The guy they got has interesting potential and good minor league numbers. Good trade.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » November 21st, 2012, 11:40 pm

rudyrooster wrote:IF Roberts is not ready to take charge of 2b coming out of ST, then I would look for either Casillla or Flaherty to fill the void based on how they perform in ST. Edge to Casilla since Flaherty still has minor league options available. As for LF, I sense the O's are gonna let McClouth walk unless they can get him "on the cheap". That leaves Reimold, Trayvar Robinson, and L.J. Hoes in the competition. I would personally like to see Hoes get the chance to be our everyday LF'er. He doesn't hit for power, but at least he does hit the ball and plays solid defense. Reimold could become part of a platoon DH. Robinson is the "wild card". No Mil options left. Great athleticism but unable to put it together at the Major League level with the Mariners. Even though he's just 25 he will have to "poop or get off the pot" this coming ST. It looks like DD is zeroing in on a 1b/DH acquisition as the major goal this offseason. Looks like Reynolds will be non-tendered and allowed to walk. DD should strike a deal to get Billy Butler from KC. These are just my gut feelings...

My gut feeling is they will make more moves before spring training starts. They could trade any of the players you have mentioned. It's kind of tough to see a lineup scenario in November when so many things can happen.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by mikezpen » November 21st, 2012, 11:49 pm

Andino simply didn't hit and is easily replaced. They got a guy w/a lot of potential. Good trade.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #21 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 22nd, 2012, 12:21 am

I think Robinson will make a fine 4th OF and will surely be more productive in that role than Endy Chavez and his -0.8 WAR.

Roch Kubatko is the man, I would never question his journalistic integrity. Definitely my favorite sports writer.

It was time to move on from Andino but he will never be forgotten for putting the nail in the coffin of the 2011 Red Sox.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #22 by Rising O's » November 22nd, 2012, 12:49 am

He was an obvious roster piece that needed to be turned over. Good move.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #23 by Matt P » December 2nd, 2012, 5:14 pm

No reason to keep him. He is fine as a UTIL player but as an everyday player or even as a platoon player there are better options. Nothing wrong with getting some potential back rather than non-tendering him and getting nothing back.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles