Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #46: Tyler Kelly

ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #46: Tyler Kelly

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 13th, 2012, 9:12 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2012/11/13/to ... ler-kelly/

Tyler Kelly broke out in a big way in 2012. He batted .346, walked 55 times, and had a .460 OBP in 263 at-bats at Frederick.

Kelly has always been old for his league but when his stellar play at Frederick forced the Orioles to move him up to Bowie, his age finally become much less of a factor.

He slowed down slightly when he reached Bowie, but Kelly still hit .308 and walked 21 times in 172 at-bats with the Baysox.

2013 Top 50 List
46. Tyler Kelly
47. Zach Clark
48. Mychal Givens
49. Ashur Tolliver
50. Brady Wager
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: ON Top 50 Prospects 2013 – #46: Tyler Kelly

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 13th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Jordan,

What percentage do you give Kelly of being protected on the 40 Man Roster?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 13th, 2012, 9:25 pm

ofahn wrote:Jordan,

What percentage do you give Kelly of being protected on the 40 Man Roster?

I could really see it going either way. Since they already have so many utility types it wouldn't surprise me if they left him unprotected. That would be my guess at this point. ~30% chance he's protected, let's say.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by BaltimoreSportsNut » November 14th, 2012, 3:11 pm

I got to watch Kelly at Frederick and he had a very mechanically sound swing and I liked him. You mentioned Utility types on the 40-man roster, I believe if he starts out hitting well in 2013, he could see Steve Tolleson's role on the club, especially since Tolleson will not be with Baltimore next season since he was just signed, forget which team got him.
BaltimoreSportsNut
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 14th, 2012, 4:15 pm

BaltimoreSportsNut wrote:I got to watch Kelly at Frederick and he had a very mechanically sound swing and I liked him. You mentioned Utility types on the 40-man roster, I believe if he starts out hitting well in 2013, he could see Steve Tolleson's role on the club, especially since Tolleson will not be with Baltimore next season since he was just signed, forget which team got him.

It was the White Sox.

I agree with Jordan, Kelly is a good player and a better example. I'm just not sure we'll have a place for him on the 40 Man Roster, which is a good problem to have.

Welcome to the forum.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 14th, 2012, 4:45 pm

BaltimoreSportsNut wrote:I got to watch Kelly at Frederick and he had a very mechanically sound swing and I liked him. You mentioned Utility types on the 40-man roster, I believe if he starts out hitting well in 2013, he could see Steve Tolleson's role on the club, especially since Tolleson will not be with Baltimore next season since he was just signed, forget which team got him.

I could see that happening if a bunch of guys go down with injury. Even if he performs well I still don't think he'll be called up very quickly.

Welcome to the forums!
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by mikezpen » November 17th, 2012, 3:32 am

May have had breakout season and seems like somebody worth protecting unless his glove is suspect.W/have to play second as a starter I'd think.If somebody has to be left unprotected, they can leave Andino off the 40-man as far as I'm concerned. I doubt if other teams w/b lining up to grab him.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by ofahn » November 17th, 2012, 9:56 am

mikezpen wrote:If somebody has to be left unprotected, they can leave Andino off the 40-man as far as I'm concerned. I doubt if other teams w/b lining up to grab him.

I'm not so sure about that. Andino might be over his head as a regular, but he has a proven ML track record as a utility player. I don't see anyway that we would be able to sneak him through waivers. Someone would claim him. If the etam takes him off of the 40 Man Roster it's almost certain he's gone.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by thezeroes » November 17th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Just to clarify a point about Robert Andino. He was already designated once in his career on 4/03/2010 which would have put him through the waiver process once and cleared and was designated for assignment. The process of placing him on waivers would make him a free agent if he clears. With him being a second year arbitration eligible, most clubs would not claim him as they would have to go through the process of tendering a contract, have him refuse and both parties seek an arbitration hearing. He made $1.3 million this year and second year arbitration usually nets the player a raise to the $1.5 million threshold. As I see it, Andino will probably be Non-Tendered and become a free agent as opposed to the waiver process.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #10 by ofahn » November 17th, 2012, 2:53 pm

thezeroes wrote:Just to clarify a point about Robert Andino. He was already designated once in his career on 4/03/2010 which would have put him through the waiver process once and cleared and was designated for assignment. The process of placing him on waivers would make him a free agent if he clears. With him being a second year arbitration eligible, most clubs would not claim him as they would have to go through the process of tendering a contract, have him refuse and both parties seek an arbitration hearing. He made $1.3 million this year and second year arbitration usually nets the player a raise to the $1.5 million threshold. As I see it, Andino will probably be Non-Tendered and become a free agent as opposed to the waiver process.

Thank you for taking the time to clarify that. I was too lazy to do it.

I agree that he would leave as a free agent. I just didn't explain why.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues