Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Marlins & Blue jays make huge trade

Marlins & Blue jays make huge trade

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » November 13th, 2012, 6:52 pm

Wow, Toronto just got a WHOLE lot better

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/11/b ... hnson.html
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Marlins & Blue jays make huge trade

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » November 13th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Wow, Toronto gets 5 good major league players and the Marlins get a pile of trash and a headcase (Escobar). Talking about a salary dump. I don't see how major league baseball can allow this to happen.

Miami does all this dealing last year and now they dump them, something is fishy here.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #3 by ofahn » November 13th, 2012, 9:13 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Toronto gets 5 good major league players and the Marlins get a pile of trash and a headcase (Escobar).

It looks like the Marlins got two VERY good prospects and two PRETTY good prospects along with the ability to hit the Reset Button on some very bad "free" agent signings. My take on this trade is that Toronto WILL be a better team in 2013. but the Marlins now have the basis to be a better team in a couple of years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by A_K » November 13th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Orioles were already the worst AL East team going into next season. Now we've got even more distance to cover before we can expect to compete.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 13th, 2012, 10:26 pm

A_K wrote:Orioles were already the worst AL East team going into next season

What do you base that on?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » November 14th, 2012, 1:38 am

I am guessing he's thinking 2012 a complete fluke. Even if it was, this team is better than Boston and should at least be able to stay above .500 next year with great deal of poor luck. With good luck, a few under-performing players finally come through and the team's success is much the same.

As for the trade it's more a salary reset button for the Marlins.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » November 14th, 2012, 6:39 am

There is definitely more pressure on the Orioles to make an impact move now. I doubt Stanton is available since he's cheap and under club control for the next four years but if he is available, we need to see what it would take 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » November 14th, 2012, 9:28 am

Here's a great article from Ken Rosenthal.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/miam ... eam-111312
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by ofahn » November 14th, 2012, 9:35 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:There is definitely more pressure on the Orioles to make an impact move now. I doubt Stanton is available since he's cheap and under club control for the next four years but if he is available, we need to see what it would take 8-)

...OR, we could take the approach of not panicking and making smart moves.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by A_K » November 14th, 2012, 12:52 pm

ofahn wrote:
What do you base that on?

The combination of my subjective interpretation of each team's talent level and my expectation for what each team will do this offseason.

I don't think the Orioles season was a complete fluke, but I do think they are closer to an 83-85 win team in true talent than the 93 win team we saw last year. I also think the Blue Jays and Red Sox were much better than their records suggested, and I expect the Red Sox to make a few solid moves to improve their team.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » November 14th, 2012, 3:03 pm

A_K wrote:
The combination of my subjective interpretation of each team's talent level and my expectation for what each team will do this offseason.

I don't think the Orioles season was a complete fluke, but I do think they are closer to an 83-85 win team in true talent than the 93 win team we saw last year. I also think the Blue Jays and Red Sox were much better than their records suggested, and I expect the Red Sox to make a few solid moves to improve their team.

..........and you don't see the Orioles try to make any kind of improvement this off season?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by A_K » November 14th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
..........and you don't see the Orioles try to make any kind of improvement this off season?

I expect they'll make the same sorts of low risk moves they made over the last 12 months, but that they'll find it difficult to find the same levels of success with those moves.

I'm not talking about anything scientific. This is all my own, entirely subjective, personal expectation.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » November 14th, 2012, 4:02 pm

ofahn wrote:
...OR, we could take the approach of not panicking and making smart moves.

Who's panicking?????? I'm only suggesting the stakes have rose in the AL East and we need to improve our lot and not stand pat 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by ofahn » November 14th, 2012, 4:04 pm

A_K wrote:

I posted earlier that I felt that at this point this was an 85 win team. I also said that we could easily add at least five more wins by having two or more of our core players make simple adjustments that would allow them to go to the next level.

That being said we will need continued improvement by our young pitchers, a better team OBA, and the same defense we saw in the last two months of the season to be a contender. The players AND DD have their work cut out for them.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » November 14th, 2012, 4:05 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Who's panicking?????? I'm only suggesting the stakes have rose in the AL East and we need to improve our lot and not stand pat 8-)

Posting this

There is definitely more pressure on the Orioles to make an impact move now.

smacks of panicking.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles