Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How About Melky Cabrera?

How About Melky Cabrera?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » November 11th, 2012, 5:43 pm

I'm surprised by the lack of talk on ON about signing Melky Cabrera. Obviously, nobody wants to deal with a drug user, but he's a fantastic player. Here's why I think we should sign him:
A.) We could get him on a one year deal. He will want to rebuild value for a potential fat contract after the 2013 season. That also enables us to move him at the deadline if we aren't in contention, he doesn't put us in a financial hole, and gives LJ Hoes another year of seasoning in the minors.
B.) Even if he regresses to his 2011 form, we still have our #3 hitter.
C.) He is essentially a much better Nate McLouth without any ugly splits vs LHP.
D.) I doubt he will be stupid enough to try drugs again.
E.) A lineup of
1. Roberts 2B (Probably Casilla Evetually)
2. Markakis RF
3. Cabrera LF
4. Jones CF
5. Betemit vs RHP/Reimold vs LHP DH
6. Davis 1B
7. Machado SS
8. Wieters C
9. Hardy 3B
would be very good. Thoughts?
Last edited by osforlife on November 14th, 2012, 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Why Not Melky Cabrera?

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » November 11th, 2012, 6:19 pm

The wording in the contract would be my concern. I would make it incentive laden with an attainable option that kicks in for 2014. I would also reward Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, Batting Title, Games Played, All-Star, and any of the MVP Trophies he should get and they would roll into his next years contract. Of course any drug related relapses would be met with a financial wind fall for the club by him forfeiting his contract.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

Re: Why Not Melky Cabrera?

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » November 11th, 2012, 6:45 pm

I considered this prior to the season ending and thought I would get laughed at. In fairness it would give us a viable lead off hitter and resolve the issue in LF for at least a season.

I just suspect because of the drug suspension and the Giants thinking themselves better off without him has somewhat derailed what would have been a huge payday for him. You also have to consider now that he's been busted for elevated testosterone, what will his numbers be next year regardless of where he goes? I don't see it happening in Baltimore.

Other than that what thezeroes said above is pretty much how I would word a contract for any club.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

Re: How About Melky Cabrera?

PostPost #4 by osforlife » November 11th, 2012, 9:19 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I considered this prior to the season ending and thought I would get laughed at. In fairness it would give us a viable lead off hitter and resolve the issue in LF for at least a season.

I just suspect because of the drug suspension and the Giants thinking themselves better off without him has somewhat derailed what would have been a huge payday for him. You also have to consider now that he's been busted for elevated testosterone, what will his numbers be next year regardless of where he goes? I don't see it happening in Baltimore.

Other than that what thezeroes said above is pretty much how I would word a contract for any club.

Does MLB do drug testing yearly? Because if he wasn't on testosterone in 2011, and he regresses to that form, we still have a pretty damn good player.
Last edited by osforlife on November 14th, 2012, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » November 11th, 2012, 9:36 pm

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabreme01.shtml

I will just go out on a limb and say that for some mystery reason he was a different player after the 2010 season to the present.
You have to consider these things.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #6 by birdwatcher55 » November 12th, 2012, 7:03 am

I would not touch him with a ten-foot pole. Not a Buck guy 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #7 by osforlife » November 12th, 2012, 10:33 am

Old Sneakers wrote:http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/cabreme01.shtml

I will just go out on a limb and say that for some mystery reason he was a different player after the 2010 season to the present.
You have to consider these things.

He was only 26 years old when he broke out. Plus, some players put everything together after being in the majors for awhile. Bautista, Hammel....I'am asking if anybody knows if MLB does drug testing yearly? Because if they do, he obviously wasn't using it in 2011. And even if he regresses to 2011 form, we still have a fantastic player.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » November 12th, 2012, 8:44 pm

I wouldn't be against it. I'm not sure one failed test qualifies him as a "druggie" though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by osforlife » November 14th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Matt P wrote:I wouldn't be against it. I'm not sure one failed test qualifies him as a "druggie" though.

I'll change it.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by STrone03 » November 14th, 2012, 4:15 pm

osforlife wrote:Does MLB do drug testing yearly? Because if he wasn't on testosterone in 2011, and he regresses to that form, we still have a pretty good damn player.

I am pretty sure they test multiple times a year randomly and the testosterone level deemed to be a "positive" is such a high number that it weeds out fluctuations and is seen as un-human so their are no doubts.
STrone03
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

Return to Baltimore Orioles