Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's re-sign Lew Ford to minor league contract with spring invite

Re: O's re-sign Lew Ford to minor league contract with spring invite

PostPost #16 by Seafordeagles » November 11th, 2012, 5:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
Are you basing that theory on the idea that you will get a productive player for a fair price? If you are then you will be VERY disappointed with the results of signing a "premium" "free" agent.

Where did I say "fair price"? I think we have a lot more money to spend with Gregg off the payroll and the 25 million that each team is supposed to be receiving.

There are only really 2 premium free agents this year and that's Hamilton and Greinke.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #17 by osforlife » November 11th, 2012, 5:59 pm

This signing provides depth for Nolan Reimold in case of an injury; Both would be right-handed 4th outfielders at the moment.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by thezeroes » November 11th, 2012, 6:12 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:LOL! I will guess then that I am in the minority here and one of the few against chasing Hamilton. So be it. No I wasn't comparing Ford and Hamilton. I just think Hamilton is a bad idea.

No you are not alone in thinking that any contract with Josh Hamilton's name affixed to it must have a fair and balanced club protection, must not be more than two years guaranteed and must be below $14 Million per year. His signing gives up our first round pick in 2013. To me, Hamilton would be only good for the Orioles on a two year deal at a low cost because of his inability to play a full season, his drug/alcohol issue and I do not think he will play any better than he did in 2012, his walk year. A ten to fifteen percent decline per year in production and games played is how I see Josh Hamilton.

It is my opinion that the Orioles should be looking for the next Josh Hamilton that is under team control as opposed to signing the one on the market that has baggage.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #19 by Matt P » November 11th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:LOL! I will guess then that I am in the minority here and one of the few against chasing Hamilton. So be it. No I wasn't comparing Ford and Hamilton. I just think Hamilton is a bad idea.

Nothing wrong with not wanting Hamilton. There is something wrong with claiming that signing Lew Ford to a minor league deal is a reason to not go after Hamilton though.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles