Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles, Koji in Discussions

Orioles, Koji in Discussions

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » November 10th, 2012, 8:17 am

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/baseball/n...004512770.html

Translated version follows:

Orioles former club identifies itself to acquire Uehara!

Head of organization is stated
 For Uehara became the FA from Rangers, Orioles showed the policy of former club you belong to the middle to win last season moves.  Tighten to 14 consecutive games without conceding a goal regular season, pitching against former club as well as a wild card game. Chief Dan De~yuketto organization is stated "in the middle reliever. Want to aim to win great pitcher. Rated" and. I aim to further strengthen bullpen became a driving force behind the breakthrough this season. Also showed a positive attitude towards the contract and re-motivated "move aggressively" Even Rangers GM Jon Daniels.
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles, Koji in Discussions

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 10th, 2012, 11:19 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Translated version follows:

Orioles former club identifies itself to acquire Uehara!

Head of organization is stated
 For Uehara became the FA from Rangers, Orioles showed the policy of former club you belong to the middle to win last season moves.  Tighten to 14 consecutive games without conceding a goal regular season, pitching against former club as well as a wild card game. Chief Dan De~yuketto organization is stated "in the middle reliever. Want to aim to win great pitcher. Rated" and. I aim to further strengthen bullpen became a driving force behind the breakthrough this season. Also showed a positive attitude towards the contract and re-motivated "move aggressively" Even Rangers GM Jon Daniels.

That translation could also mean that Godzilla is heading this way. LOOK OUT!

The only reason I could see us resigning Koji (other than Peter is thinking about investing in a sushi restaurant) is that the team is considering trading some of our bullpen strength. WARNING - what follows is just an example. PLEASE don't allow your head to explode!

Maybe something like Strop and Patton/Matusz to the Nationals for Rendon and another prospect. IF the team is considering something like that THEN I could see the need for Koji.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Matt P » November 11th, 2012, 2:46 am

I guess this means Duquette realizes what I (and others) have been saying since before the trade deadline about dealing some bullpen arms to improve other areas. I'd love Koji back and pitching in the 7th/8th inning. I know he's prone to giving up the longball but he's still a very good reliever.

I don't think they are looking to trade major league pieces for minor league prospects though. If they are looking at including a bullpen arm or two in some potential trades it will likely be to improve the major league club.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by mikezpen » November 11th, 2012, 6:53 am

Patton mite be an interesting piece to include in a trade-although I wouldn't trade him for Uehara.Still only 27 and not a FA till 2017. Mite even be converted back into a starter by the right team who needs one.

The O's could replace him w/Matusz.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Matt P » November 11th, 2012, 4:20 pm

mikezpen wrote:Patton mite be an interesting piece to include in a trade-although I wouldn't trade him for Uehara.Still only 27 and not a FA till 2017. Mite even be converted back into a starter by the right team who needs one.

The O's could replace him w/Matusz.

Uehara is a free agent.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » November 11th, 2012, 5:33 pm

Yes, Patton could absolutely be replaced by Matusz. Have to say though I hope that the organization has not given up on Matusz as a starter.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #7 by osforlife » November 11th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Patton could have become a back of the rotation starter if we decided to keep him in that role IMO. Like his scouting repot says, he has a solid four pitch mix. But at this point, Patton isn't going anywhere. Keep Troy where he is; Matusz has a much better chance of becoming a quality starting pitcher than Patton.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » November 11th, 2012, 10:44 pm

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ko01.shtml
I thought Koji was a FA too, But this says different.

osforlife-I'd be satisfied w/Patton where he is now just as you. But if the Orioles want to trade, they have to move somebody or value.Patton fits that bill and we have Matusz to replace him in the pen.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 11th, 2012, 10:45 pm

mikezpen wrote:http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/u/ueharko01.shtml
I thought Koji was a FA too, But this says different.

osforlife-I'd be satisfied w/Patton where he is now just as you. But if the Orioles want to trade, they have to move somebody or value.Patton fits that bill and we have Matusz to replace him in the pen.

I think he is a FA. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compe ... page_id=92
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #10 by thezeroes » November 11th, 2012, 11:28 pm

Koji is in his first year of Arbitration Elgibility. I do believe the Rangers may have the option of tendering him a contract and then Koji could file for the Arbitration process or accept the tendered contract. I do not think he had a written agreement that would allow him to bypass the Arbitration Process. I could be wrong but he has only four years of MLB roster status and would not become a free agent until 2015 with his service time.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 11th, 2012, 11:37 pm

thezeroes wrote:Koji is in his first year of Arbitration Elgibility. I do believe the Rangers may have the option of tendering him a contract and then Koji could file for the Arbitration process or accept the tendered contract. I do not think he had a written agreement that would allow him to bypass the Arbitration Process. I could be wrong but he has only four years of MLB roster status and would not become a free agent until 2015 with his service time.

Ah, forgot about that. Good call.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » November 12th, 2012, 3:33 am

I think it w/b great if they just cut him lose so we could sign him.But they'd be stupid to do that.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » November 12th, 2012, 6:59 am

Koji would be a nice signing and would be nice insurance if one of our late inning guys melts down this season 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles