Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Schoop Interview; Do We Really Want to Trade This Guy???

Schoop Interview; Do We Really Want to Trade This Guy???

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » November 10th, 2012, 8:28 am

Infield prospect Schoop gains wisdom in AFL

By Jim Gintonio / Special to MLB.com | 11/08/12 11:45 AM ET

MESA, Ariz. -- Scouts are everywhere.
Jonathan Schoop figures some were watching him in 2004 when he helped Curacao win the Little League World Series -- and those who did probably are not too surprised he has evolved into the No. 3 prospect for the Orioles.

Schoop, who can play third base or shortstop, turned 21 in October. He was not drafted but signed with Baltimore four years ago. His progress has been marked with improvement at every stop, and he said he likes having a tag as a top prospect.

"It feels good, because I've come a long way, and to be honored like that gives you more incentive to work hard and to achieve goals," Schoop said. "When you achieve, don't stop. Keep going."

Schoop is having a solid Arizona Fall League season with the Mesa Solar Sox and played in the Rising Stars Game. He was hitting .288 at the outset of Week 5, with two home runs, nine RBIs and two stolen bases, including a theft of home.

Schoop, whose brother Sharlon has played seven seasons in the Minor Leagues and is in the Royals' organization, says he has a lot more to learn and he's willing to take whatever time is needed to further prepare himself.

"I've got to work on everything, step my game up offensively, defensively, baserunning, get more speed on the bases, too," Schoop said.

"You want to improve everything. You don't want to stay in the same position. You want to become a better baseball player."

Solar Sox manager Rodney Linares looks at him as a kid with unlimited potential.

"Schoop is one of those high-ceiling guys," said Linares. "He's really young, and you can tell at times, but ability-wise he's up there. He's got good soft hands; big, strong kid. He's driving the ball, the ball jumps off his bat. I really like Schoop."

Schoop's talent in the field would seem to bolster his chances of being kept at shortstop, but Linares sees him as more of a third baseman because of his power at the plate.

"He's got a good, strong arm, and again, he's so young, but at the same time, he's so mature as a ballplayer," Linares said. "He only needs at-bats and repetition in the Minor Leagues, and he'll eventually get to the big leagues in the next year or so."

Making adjustments is something Schoop thrives on and something he had to do at Double-A Bowie in 2012 after three seasons in Rookie and Class A ball.

"Baseball is making adjustments," he said. "If you can make adjustments, you're going to be good in baseball. Then I sit down and think about my approach and make adjustments, and you get better."

Schoop admits as a younger player he sometimes didn't heed advice in that area.

"They tried to teach me long time ago, but when you're young, you don't get it," he said. "Now I'm a little bit older and I get it on what making adjustments means.

"Before, they were teaching me the same thing, but now I'm thinking. When I was kid, I didn't know how to make [adjustments], because I wanted to step in there and just swing, but now I get it, and I understand it."
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Schoop Interview; Do We Really Want to Trade This Guy???

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 10th, 2012, 11:02 am

Some of us have been adamant about keeping him, and have taken a lot of sh*t about it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » November 10th, 2012, 4:14 pm

I am not adamant about it. I am not opposed to keeping him either. My question is, what position is he going to spend the bulk of his career at and is that worthy of keeping him? Second base absolutely you keep him. Third base? Well, how much power and average are we talking?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 10th, 2012, 4:18 pm

I wouldn't deal him. He has the arm for third base if his lack of speed forces him off 2B.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by osforlife » November 10th, 2012, 5:53 pm

I wouldn't trade him, I'd continuing working him at second base and hopefully he is ready by early 2014. Now the question is, does he start the season in AA or AAA?
P.S. He can sure hit a fastball :D
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Matt P » November 11th, 2012, 2:49 am

I don't think many are adamant about trading him as much as they are adamant about not labeling him untouchable. Everyone should be available in the right move.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » November 11th, 2012, 12:59 pm

I think I might slide Dylan Bundy into that "Untouchable" category. Though overall with guys like Matusz, Arrieta and Tillman that category has ceased to exist. For that matter as fine a player as Matt Weiters has become, I would not refuse to at least listen to offers so long as the return was an avalanche of talent.

I always seem to say it and think it. Building up that farm system is so very important. You need a hole turned into a strength? OK what do you have that you can deal? No team ever has enough talent but you can certainly work hard to reaching that non existent plateau.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #8 by ofahn » November 11th, 2012, 3:33 pm

Matt P wrote:I don't think many are adamant about trading him as much as they are adamant about not labeling him untouchable. Everyone should be available in the right move.

True, but in his case the return would have to be VERY high with long term control.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by birdwatcher55 » November 12th, 2012, 7:02 am

I would NOT deal Schoop. Any guarantee Hardy is going injury-free this season??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles