Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Home page poll: The Orioles' #1 Off-Season Priority is...

Re: Home page poll: The Orioles' #1 Off-Season Priority is...

PostPost #31 by ofahn » November 5th, 2012, 11:10 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Trust me you haven't offended me. It's obvious if the Orioles find & develop a 2nd baseman as you propose he's not going to be ready any time soon. You also propose trading for a YOUNG 2nd baseman but teams just don't trade "talented" players when they are under "team control" at a low salary.

You either have to bite the bullet for a overpaid and older play like Kinsler or go with who you have and that looks like Casilla. Right now you haven't offered a viable solution.

Yes, I have; but it's not palatable for you. We can allow the players we CURRENTLY have on the roster to earn that job. We're going to pay Brian Roberts 10M this year. we should see if he can play. Are there lots of questions there? Of course, but we DID win 93 games this year with essentially the same cast. I would much rather give them that opportunity than make a really bad trade.

We could trade for a ML ready (or ALMOST ready) 2B using our surplus of pitching. Jim Johnson would net us at least two top tier prospects and Arrieta or Matusz would get us at least one. This option would allow us to have an alternative if Schoop (whom many think will be ML ready in mid 2013) isn't best suited for 2B or isn't ready for 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #32 by Seafordeagles » November 5th, 2012, 11:25 am

ofahn wrote:
Yes, I have; but it's not palatable for you. We can allow the players we CURRENTLY have on the roster to earn that job. We're going to pay Brian Roberts 10M this year. we should see if he can play. Are there lots of questions there? Of course, but we DID win 93 games this year with essentially the same cast. I would much rather give them that opportunity than make a really bad trade.

We could trade for a ML ready (or ALMOST ready) 2B using our surplus of pitching. Jim Johnson would net us at least two top tier prospects and Arrieta or Matusz would get us at least one. This option would allow us to have an alternative if Schoop (whom many think will be ML ready in mid 2013) isn't best suited for 2B or isn't ready for 2014.

You totally lost me with your proposal of trading Jim Johnson. I'll just move along.............
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #33 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 5th, 2012, 12:15 pm

ofahn wrote:IMO the best long term solution at 2B is finding a prospect and developing him; or trading for a YOUNG 2B. Signing or trading for an over aged over priced player is not in our best interests.

How about Jonathan Schoop ? He should be ready sometime in 2014; maybe even late next year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #34 by ofahn » November 5th, 2012, 12:53 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:How about Jonathan Schoop ? He should be ready sometime in 2014; maybe even late next year.

I posted this after the post you referenced.

ofahn wrote:We could trade for a ML ready (or ALMOST ready) 2B using our surplus of pitching. Jim Johnson would net us at least two top tier prospects and Arrieta or Matusz would get us at least one. This option would allow us to have an alternative if Schoop (whom many think will be ML ready in mid 2013) isn't best suited for 2B or isn't ready for 2014.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #35 by Old Sneakers » November 5th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Honestly I am all in favor of targeting a need position in the draft. Yes, that is 2-4 years away from a ML debut. However, I do not want a three or four year deal on any veteran that will just give you more question marks each season that player is contracted. I would rather see bargain but unspectacular types get signed and receive playing time.

EDIT: Jonathan Schoop got brought up as I was posting

Until Schoop presses the issue I do not even want to think about what and where his role will be. It would be fantastic if he sticks at either middle infield position. However, he's not yet a finished product.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #36 by LA Detective » November 8th, 2012, 5:42 pm

#1 Evaluate who stays and who goes among the starting Pitching..There is a reason or two to believe in almost all 7 or 8 we have..predicting which ones will make the next step to soldid #2s will be huge.

#2 Every contending team should have getting an ACE as the priority. But probably not out there..Maybe another Hammel but that goes back to predicting what we have.

#3 The biggest weakness of the team that finished the year was the reliable bat in the middle of the order..Maybe AJ will make a jump..Maybe Manny will make his jump next year...I would hope for a Butler type added to the team that finished the year..Keep McClouth in LF

#4 Dont divert from the philosophy that turned this team around the 2nd half...Our D made a huge turn around..No coincidence so did the pitching...I love that Buck quoted recently that if you cant play D you cant play in Bmore...
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #37 by birdwatcher55 » November 9th, 2012, 3:23 pm

If we retain Peterson, it is automatically a great offseason 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #38 by osforlife » November 9th, 2012, 5:50 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:If we retain Peterson, it is automatically a great offseason 8-)

I will feel much less confident about re-structuring Matusz, Britton, and Arrieta in AAA without Petersen.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #39 by mikezpen » November 10th, 2012, 7:07 am

There's a problem in that you don't know if Roberts and Reimold can play or not. And you don't know if they'll re-sign Saunders or not.If those three guys are back and productive, three positions are covered.Even if they can't sign Saunders, you still have 4 of last year's rotation back. And you'd have Tommy Hunter, Johnson, Matusz, Arrieta and possibly Wada to compete for Saunders' spot.And who knows? Bundy could be ready by mid-season.

But regardless of what happens above, I think first base needs to be addressed.I'm probably in the minority when I say that I don't want Reynolds back at first, despite the flashy glovework and the occasional molten hot streak.He kills the team for weeks and maybe months on end with the cold ones.Having him, Hardy and Davis in the lineup gives you too many "all-or-nothing" hitters who can go into slumps as they did last season.

I'd like them to go for a couple of good 6-year minor leaguers or trade for a prospect at first. Also look for somebody in the Japanese League.Try to get somebody who gets on base a bit as well as having at least power and a good glove.Not crazy about Davis at first, although I guess he'd do.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #40 by ofahn » November 10th, 2012, 11:31 am

mikezpen wrote:I think first base needs to be addressed.

One possibility for a young and talented 1B is Eric Hosmer. KC is going to dangle him in front of Tampa and ask for David Price. When the Rays say no to that they're going to ask for Hellickson or Moore. If Tampa says no to that then the Royals will look somewhere else. That might be us.

The question becomes: Would you be willing to trade TWO of the following for Hosmer? Tillman, Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Hunter, Strop? Some combination of two of these guys would be close to the price we would have to pay for him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #41 by osforlife » November 10th, 2012, 5:48 pm

ofahn wrote:
One possibility for a young and talented 1B is Eric Hosmer. KC is going to dangle him in front of Tampa and ask for David Price. When the Rays say no to that they're going to ask for Hellickson or Moore. If Tampa says no to that then the Royals will look somewhere else. That might be us.

The question becomes: Would you be willing to trade TWO of the following for Hosmer? Tillman, Matusz, Britton, Arrieta, Hunter, Strop? Some combination of two of these guys would be close to the price we would have to pay for him.

Wouldn't being the Rays GM be a dream come true this offseason? That would be so cool, and the small payroll intrigues me even more. Since the high spending Dodgers are making me sick, I think it would be fun to make the under-the-radar moves every offseason. And with all that pitching, so many teams will ask for trade scenarios. I see the Rays trading for Justin Upton and Chris Marrero(that or signing James Loney).
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #42 by Seafordeagles » November 10th, 2012, 6:03 pm

mikezpen wrote:I'd like them to go for a couple of good 6-year minor leaguers or trade for a prospect at first.

This statement has me scratching my head. If they're good after 6 years why are the still minor leaguers? Why do you trade for a 6 year guy when you have Mahoney? Why make a trade for a prospect who may never make the big leagues?

If you're not going to re-sign Reynolds then 1st base needs to go to Chris Davis.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #43 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 10th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
This statement has me scratching my head. If they're good after 6 years why are the still minor leaguers? Why do you trade for a 6 year guy when you have Mahoney? Why make a trade for a prospect who may never make the big leagues?

If you're not going to re-sign Reynolds then 1st base needs to go to Chris Davis.

There are a lot of MiLB FAs who end up contributing. Also, they can add depth or provide lineup protection for some the younger players.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #44 by thezeroes » November 10th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:There are a lot of MiLB FAs who end up contributing. Also, they can add depth or provide lineup protection for some the younger players.

According to Baseball America, 549 players were deemed Minor League Free Agents five days after the World Series ended. The list can be found here: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/pro ... ents-2012/

For someone to think that ALL of these players will/won't contribute to a Major League Club in 2013 need to look no further than the 2012 Orioles season and some of the contributors that came from these ranks in 2012.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #45 by mikezpen » November 11th, 2012, 6:43 am

I'm looking for long-time minor leaguers w/potential who have been released or whom you could pick up cheap. They're out there.You need look no further on this than Miguel Gonzalez who was 27, a 5-year minor leaguer and who spent a couple of years injured before Baltimore acquired him.

For you oldsters to remember, one of the greatest O's first basemen of all time, Jim Gentile, was 27 and an 8-year minor leaguer when the O's picked him up in a 1960's minor trade.

Look for teams with top-notch first basemen who have been there for a long time. Oftentimes they have guys in the minors who are blocked. The Dodgers, for example,still had Gil Hodges on first and had hot prospect Frank Howard coming up from behind. Gentile was expendable. Duke seems pretty good at finding "nuggets" like this.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles