Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#21 Prospect - Brandon Erbe

#21 Prospect - Brandon Erbe

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 24th, 2011, 10:25 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9389

After a dominating half season with the Baysox in 2009, Brandon Erbe made the jump to Triple-A, which resulted in a 2010 season where he struggled and underwent labrum surgery. He had struggled with shoulder problems in 2009, but it was this past year (’10) where it finally got to the point where surgery was necessary.

Full top 50 list
21. Brandon Erbe
22. Connor Narron
23. Brandon Cooney
24. Oliver Drake
25. Matt Angle
26. Cameron Coffey
27. Randy Henry
28. Aaron Wirsch
29. Matt Bywater
30. Luis Lebron
31. Luis Noel
32. Tim Berry
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #21 Prospect - Brandon Erbe

PostPost #2 by Don » March 25th, 2011, 9:52 am

Sad state for this once shining star of a prospect. It is tough to think he passes the mustard and must re-invent himself into a pitcher. He could comeback throwing a tick or two below with that labrum tear and you never know if he can gain that extra gear.

Hope he can turn it around, but tears are still 50/50 in this day and age.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by allstar1579 » March 25th, 2011, 2:32 pm

I scouted Erbs pretty extensively year before last, he actually made the switch from thrower to pitcher that year. I also have my suspicions that he pitched with some variation of this injury a lot longer than people think, like more than a year.

When it started hurting him, I noticed him arm slot drop JUST a bit (warning sign one) and his velo was a good couple MPH lower than I had ever seen it through HS and low minors. He was having MORE success than he had before though because it made him really fine tune his secondaries, and he was making them work well. Not consistently, but I saw his slider be VERY nasty when it was on, and other days it would be another pitch. He kept seeming to find 2 pitches to throw any given night, but having a hard time putting all of them together at once. (it does happen though as his one-hitters will attest to)

I won't be surprised to see his velo in that same range 89-92 and touching 94, but I'm interested to see how his secondaries are holding up. Still have high hopes for the kid, he really is an all around good guy.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 25th, 2011, 10:12 pm

allstar1579 wrote:I scouted Erbs pretty extensively year before last, he actually made the switch from thrower to pitcher that year. I also have my suspicions that he pitched with some variation of this injury a lot longer than people think, like more than a year.

When it started hurting him, I noticed him arm slot drop JUST a bit (warning sign one) and his velo was a good couple MPH lower than I had ever seen it through HS and low minors. He was having MORE success than he had before though because it made him really fine tune his secondaries, and he was making them work well. Not consistently, but I saw his slider be VERY nasty when it was on, and other days it would be another pitch. He kept seeming to find 2 pitches to throw any given night, but having a hard time putting all of them together at once. (it does happen though as his one-hitters will attest to)

I won't be surprised to see his velo in that same range 89-92 and touching 94, but I'm interested to see how his secondaries are holding up. Still have high hopes for the kid, he really is an all around good guy.

Makes sense. So it looks like you've seen Erbe succeed even with his fastball velocity down, which is at least an encouraging sign if he's going to be down a few ticks when he returns. Hopefully he works in the 89-92 range with the FB, really works on those secondaries and brings them to the level you saw when he was leaning on them a bit more.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by allstar1579 » March 27th, 2011, 3:43 pm

Jordan wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:I scouted Erbs pretty extensively year before last, he actually made the switch from thrower to pitcher that year. I also have my suspicions that he pitched with some variation of this injury a lot longer than people think, like more than a year.

Makes sense. So it looks like you've seen Erbe succeed even with his fastball velocity down, which is at least an encouraging sign if he's going to be down a few ticks when he returns. Hopefully he works in the 89-92 range with the FB, really works on those secondaries and brings them to the level you saw when he was leaning on them a bit more.

Yeah, his big "breakout" season in Bowie, if you want to call it that, he was sitting there all season. The first game I covered him I had to ask around the press box to see what was wrong with him, and they all kept saying nothing, he's fine, so I asked where his other 4mph went they just kinda looked puzzled, like they had no idea he threw that hard before.

He never seemed to have all 3 of his main pitches working the same night, but he got good at figuring out what he had early and then locking it down for the rest of the game.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Minor Leagues