Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Your top 3 needles in a haystack?

Your top 3 needles in a haystack?

PostPost #1 by Old Sneakers » November 7th, 2012, 1:01 pm

Since Jordan is making us wait on his prospect countdown like kiddies for Christmas morning. Let's all pick 3 prospects in the minor league system now that you think have a shot at a meaningful contribution to major league club at some point in the future.

Please avoid the obvious choices such as those listed here: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/minorleagues/affiliates/index.jsp?c_id=bal

A few years ago Brad Bergesen came out of complete obscurity to offer some hope in a truly hapless 2009 rotation. Do we have someone hidden like that now awaiting opportunity? Pick three and explain why.

Here's my choices

Brandon Waring- Thanks much to the fact that Manny Machado and Wilson Betemit 3B will likely be ignored this offseason. However, what happens when there is a rash of injuries here or at SS? Well, Waring might supply enough bat and at least passable defense and allow the team the luxury of getting healthy. Waring has been mostly ignored as a prospect since 2010 and has not pressed the issue. However this doesn't mean he could not prove useful in a pinch.

Caleb Joseph- Another forgotten minor leaguer at what often seems to be a trouble position for teams. Joseph seems unlikely to be ready to contribute soon (2013/2014) as his defense and work at the plate need improvement. However, there is always a need for depth at the Catcher position and he really only need to be competent to become a worthy back up.

John Ruettiger- Not too far under the radar here but for a young guy he's moving up fast and looks to at least be a quality utility outfielder. Fans that balked at him on draft day did so because he's not a power bat. However, he is proving to be the type that is able to get on base. Something the team seems to fail at annually. You also have to consider that Nick Markakis is getting older as is his contract. The team might have to make choices in the future and if Ruettiger presses the issue it could be a welcome choice to make.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Re: Your top 3 needles in a haystack?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 7th, 2012, 2:48 pm

I completely disagree with Brandon Waring because of his HORRENDOUS K rate, but this was a very well thought out and written post and it deserves POINTS! I hope members will contribute more like this.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 7th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Ryan Adams

Expierenced a dreadful 2012 finished off with a drug suspension. However, this kid can hit. And if given the oppurtunity, will hit. Shaky with the glove, but is a doubles machine. If he is resigned by the Orioles, I see him forcing his way onto the roster given the weak second base position.

Brenden Webb

Has received much praise on this site, but is completely left un-mentioned on many. Is a 4 tool player that is a beast when it comes to taking walks. His absurd OBP is likely to come down as he moves up levels given the better and better pitching talent he'll be facing; but still should get on base to a decent clip, steal 25 bases, hit 20 bombs, and play great defense.

Pat Egan

Forgotten by most after a terrible stint at AAA in 2010, Egan put together a great 2012 and could possbily be a piece in 2013. I hear he has touched upper 90's and has electric stuff at times.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Matt P » November 7th, 2012, 5:29 pm

You know that Adams is suspended right?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by osforlife » November 7th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Matt P wrote:You know that Adams is suspended right?

made it pretty clear in my post; first sentence.
Last edited by osforlife on November 14th, 2012, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Matt P » November 8th, 2012, 11:37 pm

osforlife wrote:I think I made that pretty clear in my post.

Guess I totally missed the first sentence, my bad.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 9th, 2012, 2:29 pm

I may be biased because I watched them in Sarasota but I really like Adrian Marin and Josh Hader.

I would also say everyone should keep a close eye on Connor Narron and Wynston Sawyer next year. I've heard good things about their progression.

On the pitching side, I've also heard lots about Devin Jones and looking at his stats it's obvious there has been a lot of improvement. I also think Oliver Drake is still a nice bullpen prospect.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » November 9th, 2012, 3:23 pm

The buzz on Connor Narron was pretty good a couple years ago. That offered me some hope for him. However he was once again on a short season club this past year. I have to ask, when is it time to move a player to a full season club and make a concerted effort to develop them?

Edit: He (Connor Narron) did get a good number of PA in Delmarva this past year. His batting line wasn't overly thrilling but he did get the time in.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by Matt P » November 10th, 2012, 2:04 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I may be biased because I watched them in Sarasota but I really like Adrian Marin and Josh Hader.

I would also say everyone should keep a close eye on Connor Narron and Wynston Sawyer next year. I've heard good things about their progression.

On the pitching side, I've also heard lots about Devin Jones and looking at his stats it's obvious there has been a lot of improvement. I also think Oliver Drake is still a nice bullpen prospect.

Isn't Marin the #10 prospect?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » November 10th, 2012, 11:55 am

Old Sneakers wrote:The buzz on Connor Narron was pretty good a couple years ago. That offered me some hope for him. However he was once again on a short season club this past year. I have to ask, when is it time to move a player to a full season club and make a concerted effort to develop them?

Edit: He (Connor Narron) did get a good number of PA in Delmarva this past year. His batting line wasn't overly thrilling but he did get the time in.

I don't want to speak for Jordan, but I believe he's referring to the fact that Narron is finally starting to take instruction and making some adjustments to his game. Kind of like Brendan Webb a year ago. Let's see if Narron takes the same big step that Webb did.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 10th, 2012, 4:13 pm

Matt P wrote:Isn't Marin the #10 prospect?

He's right around there for me, but so what? I was simply stating that he shouldn't fly under the radar.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Matt P » November 11th, 2012, 2:55 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:He's right around there for me, but so what? I was simply stating that he shouldn't fly under the radar.

I just thought he was #10 for Baseball America which would take him out of the "needle in a haystack" category.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 11th, 2012, 12:14 pm

Matt P wrote:I just thought he was #10 for Baseball America which would take him out of the "needle in a haystack" category.

Not a needle in a haystack, but someone I think could sneak up on some people.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues