Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Targeting Josh Hamilton & Cody Ross

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » November 7th, 2012, 1:58 pm

By Mike Axisa [November 7, 2012 at 11:54am CST]
The Orioles were a surprise contender this year and now it appears they might be a surprise big spender in the offseason. Baltimore is targeting Josh Hamilton and Cody Ross for their left field job, reports Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports.

Hamilton, 31, would add major left-handed thump to a lineup that already features Nick Markakis and Chris Davis. He also wouldn't have to play center field thanks to Adam Jones. Ross, 31, would complement Jones as a right-handed power hitter and would come considerably cheaper. He's reportedly seeking three years and $25MM while Hamilton figures to demand nine figures.

Sounds interesting..........................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Orioles Targeting Josh Hamilton & Cody Ross

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » November 7th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Here's a little more:

Source: Josh Hamilton, Cody Ross on Orioles’ list
57 minutes ago by JonPaulMorosi
The Baltimore Orioles aren’t content with being one of baseball’s most surprising stories of 2012. This winter, they plan to pursue the biggest free agent hitter: Josh Hamilton.
Hamilton is on the Orioles’ list of targets for left field, according to a source with knowledge of the organization’s plans. Hamilton has started more games in left field than center over the past three seasons, and the Orioles have an opening there now that Nate McLouth has become a free agent.
Baltimore also has some interest in free-agent outfielder Cody Ross, the source said. Ross would be a cheaper option than Hamilton and had success in the American League East with the Boston Red Sox this year.
The Orioles wouldn’t need Hamilton to play center field, as Adam Jones is coming off a season in which he won a Gold Glove while starting 161 games there. Baltimore’s internal options to play left field include Nolan Reimold, Xavier Avery and L.J. Hoes. Reimold, this year’s Opening Day left fielder, is the most experienced of the group, but he played only 16 games before undergoing season-ending surgery to repair a herniated disk in his neck. So it appears likely the Orioles will add a left fielder this offseason, one way or the other.
Statistically, the 31-year-old Hamilton is top position player available on the open market. Over the past three years with the Texas Rangers, he has averaged a .952 OPS, 33 home runs and 107 RBI. But questions persist about his long-term durability, given his injury history and struggles with addiction. In the past, Orioles owner Peter Angelos has emphasized the importance of clean medical records and personal conduct before acquiring players.
John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus reported recently that Hamilton’s asking price is seven years and $175 million. The Orioles may have difficulty signing Hamilton if the bidding reaches that neighborhood. This year, the team’s Opening Day payroll was between $80 million and $85 million.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » November 7th, 2012, 2:11 pm

I saw the reports too. However, I just don't buy it. This could be smokescreen grenade tossed out by an agent or some other form of manipulation.

If I were reading the same thing in regards to Marco Scutaro I might pay it a little more attention. I just don't see Hamilton being a ideal investment for this team.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by ofahn » November 7th, 2012, 2:43 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:If I were reading the same thing in regards to Marco Scutaro I might pay it a little more attention. I just don't see Hamilton being a ideal investment for this team.

I posted before that I could see Peter authorizing 3/75M and even a fourth year as a vested option, but DD is smart enough to know that anything beyond that is a potential disaster of a contract. I honestly expect Josh to have at least three or four offers very similar to that. When his agent asks why the teams aren't willing to make more of a commitment I would expect he would hear the same reasons over and over again, as he should.

Cody Ross just doesn't make any sense to me. DD has been clear that he wants to improve the OBA and Ross doesn't qualify. McLouth would be a WHOLE lot cheaper and would handle most of the ABs in a platoon. The RH part of LF would seem to be a player like Steve Pearce which would come pretty cheap. We can good production and defense out of LF WITHOUT a bad contract like Ross.

Camden Yards would make Hamilton look like a monster, but with all of the similar offers he will almost certainly get the odds of him signing here are slim.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... co01.shtml
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » November 7th, 2012, 3:03 pm

Is that breeze the sound of Angelos opening his checkbook????? :)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » November 7th, 2012, 3:18 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Is that breeze the sound of Angelos opening his checkbook????? :)

Nah, that just another noreaster............................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by osforlife » November 7th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Rather offer Melky Cabrera a one year deal than go with a big/long contract.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by Matt P » November 7th, 2012, 5:28 pm

If they sign Cody Ross to a 3 year deal I'll be extremely disappointed.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by Matt P » November 7th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Here's what Keith Law had to say about Cody Ross in his OF off season buyers guide.
2. Cody Ross, OF: He is not a center fielder, he has a .324 career OBP -- in fact, his .326 figure in 2012 was his career best in a full season -- and his power spike this year was largely a function of playing his home games in Fenway Park, a great place for right-handed hitters. He hit 74 percent of his doubles at home and 59 percent of his homers, posting a .232/.294/.390 line away from Fenway. On a one-year deal to serve as part of a platoon, yes, he has value. Anything more than that for a 32-year-old corner outfielder who doesn't get on base or make much contact is foolhardy.

I agree with his assessment 100%.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » November 8th, 2012, 3:22 pm

I will bet Buck has some people he can go to that know the inside scoop on Hamilton. IF favorable, then 4yrs or less would be great.

McClouth anyday over Ross
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » November 8th, 2012, 3:36 pm

Matt P wrote:If they sign Cody Ross to a 3 year deal I'll be extremely disappointed.

Ross is good player. If we lose McLouth, he would be a nice pickup 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 8th, 2012, 3:48 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Ross is good player. If we lose McLouth, he would be a nice pickup 8-)

Did you read what Matt P posted? Why does that interest you?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #13 by LA Detective » November 8th, 2012, 3:59 pm

I just dont see us gettting Hamilton though. If reports were favorable, meaning he is not close to breaking soberiety, then i would think the Rangers themselves would be pretty high bidders in both years and cash..If the Rangers didnt push to bring him back that would be quite a red flag because they need him as much as we do...The price and years would only be in our range because the Rangers wont risk it and they would know more than anyone.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #14 by Matt P » November 8th, 2012, 11:33 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Ross is good player. If we lose McLouth, he would be a nice pickup 8-)

Good players don't post a 232/.294/.390 line away from Fenway.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » November 9th, 2012, 3:11 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Did you read what Matt P posted? Why does that interest you?

I live in Boston and saw Ross a lot. I think he's a good player and would be an asset here. I would have no problem with him being our LF next year to be honest with you. He would hit 25-30 HRs in our lineup 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles