Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles 2nd worst baserunning team in MLB via Bill James

Orioles 2nd worst baserunning team in MLB via Bill James

PostPost #1 by Matt P » November 6th, 2012, 11:52 pm

This is an area that they can significantly improve in 2013 which can help balance out the "luck" involved in the first half of last season. This study can help explain why they claimed Casilla who will likely take over for Andino as the UTIL.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

Bill James Handbook lists #orioles as 2nd-worst baserunning team in MLB behind the Tigers.

Says #orioles stolen base gain (0) and -49 baserunning gains ranked 3rd worst among all teams & they took 3rd fewest extra bases with 127.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

BIll James Handbook rates McClouth as the #orioles best baserunner, and Markakis and Wieters as worst among regulars
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

Re: Orioles 2nd worst baserunning team in MLB via Bill James

PostPost #2 by LA Detective » November 8th, 2012, 4:28 pm

I cant see Markakis as a bad base runner..To me he seems like he always gets to the base he is suppose to, scores when he should and doesnt make mistakes. I thought he was well above average..Opinions who see the games live??

Re: all these reports, i am curious as to how they rate from August on...Markakis missed some time but when he and McClouth and Machado were in the line-up I didnt think our speed was horrible ..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #3 by Matt P » November 8th, 2012, 11:34 pm

LA Detective wrote:I cant see Markakis as a bad base runner..To me he seems like he always gets to the base he is suppose to, scores when he should and doesnt make mistakes. I thought he was well above average..Opinions who see the games live??

Re: all these reports, i am curious as to how they rate from August on...Markakis missed some time but when he and McClouth and Machado were in the line-up I didnt think our speed was horrible ..

It's not about speed it's about taking the extra base, going from 1st - 3rd on a single, smart base running decisions, etc.

I can think of two instances off the top of my head when Markakis broke for home and me and my father both yelled "WHAT ARE YOU DOING" and he was then tagged out at home against the Yankees.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » November 9th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I think we can do a better job baserunning but I'm not concerned if we steal bases or not. That statistic is highly overrated 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles