Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Home page poll: The Orioles' #1 Off-Season Priority is...

Home page poll: The Orioles' #1 Off-Season Priority is...

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 3rd, 2012, 10:15 pm

• Starting pitching
  • Left field
  • Relief pitching
  • Third base
  • Second base

The Orioles have lots of depth but I still believe the priority has to be, and will be, pitching.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Home page poll: The Orioles' #1 Off-Season Priority is...

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 10:18 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:
  • Starting pitching
  • Left field
  • Relief pitching
  • Third base
  • Second base

The Orioles have lots of depth but I still believe the priority has to be, and will be, pitching.

Of course, you can NEVER have too much pitching, but I look at 3B and 1B. By answering those two questions the team is pretty much set.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 3rd, 2012, 10:19 pm

ofahn wrote:
Of course, you can NEVER have too much pitching, but I look at 3B and 1B. By answering those two questions the team is pretty much set.

It's amazing how much can happen depending on Roberts' health. I would really like to see him come back but if not moving Hardy to 2B, acquiring a 3B and moving Machado to SS would be ideal. Probably will not happen but that would be the best solution, IMO.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » November 3rd, 2012, 10:21 pm

Let's just say I really miss a healthy and productive Brian Roberts.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 10:22 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:It's amazing how much can happen depending on Roberts' health. I would really like to see him come back but if not moving Hardy to 2B, acquiring a 3B and moving Machado to SS would be ideal. Probably will not happen but that would be the best solution, IMO.

Those have been my thought almost verbatim. That's why I see the resolution of 3B and 1B as the keys. 3B for the reasons you stated and 1B because it would determine if Davis was going to LF. Really, anything else after those questions are trivial.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 10:23 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Let's just say I really miss a healthy and productive Brian Roberts.

Preaching to the choir.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » November 3rd, 2012, 10:24 pm

Also wanted to add that Roberts is contracted until 2014. Meaning the team needs to look at a 2B and lead off hitter (regardless of position) really soon.

We just do not know if the guy is ever coming back and this team's lineup would be so potent with a legit top of the order bat it's silly.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 10:29 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Also wanted to add that Roberts is contracted until 2014

Did you mean that he's a free agent for the 2014 season? Baseball Reference has him contracted through the 2013 season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... br01.shtml
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » November 3rd, 2012, 10:33 pm

What you said. Even more of a pressing matter. Well, on the bright side coming back in a big way he would be playing for his next contract.

Anyone want to start that conversation now? We could all well argue for the next 14 months on the subject.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 10:37 pm

Have you seen a picture of Brian Roberts' wife. NO WONDER he's always so tired and his back hurts.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Matt P » November 4th, 2012, 1:00 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:It's amazing how much can happen depending on Roberts' health. I would really like to see him come back but if not moving Hardy to 2B, acquiring a 3B and moving Machado to SS would be ideal. Probably will not happen but that would be the best solution, IMO.

Even if Roberts retired tomorrow they aren't moving Hardy to 2B. Moving the 2nd best defensive SS in the AL to 2B makes no sense at all.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 4th, 2012, 1:01 am

Matt P wrote:Even if Roberts retired tomorrow they aren't moving Hardy to 2B. Moving the 2nd best defensive SS in the AL to 2B makes no sense at all.

I'd much rather have Machado play SS next year and have Hardy at 2B or 3B than have Machado play 3B.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Matt P » November 4th, 2012, 1:03 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'd much rather have Machado play SS next year and have Hardy at 2B or 3B than have Machado play 3B.

So you would rather have a lesser defensive play at SS? I don't get it. I guess I can understand wanting them to switch positions if you are looking at it long term but the putting Hardy at 2B is what I really don't get. It would be a complete waste of his talents.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » November 4th, 2012, 1:06 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I'd much rather have Machado play SS next year and have Hardy at 2B or 3B than have Machado play 3B.

I am guessing you see the reports of Brian Roberts to return to 100% is a pure smokescreen then?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 4th, 2012, 2:08 am

Matt P wrote:So you would rather have a lesser defensive play at SS? I don't get it. I guess I can understand wanting them to switch positions if you are looking at it long term but the putting Hardy at 2B is what I really don't get. It would be a complete waste of his talents.

I don't think Machado would be a huge step down from Hardy. I would rather get Machado playing time there. My point wasn't really to say Hardy should move to 2B. Machado should play SS and Hardy could play 3B. Then they should go for a 2B.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles