Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » November 2nd, 2012, 3:24 pm

http://www.nbcdfw.com/blogs/red-fever/O ... 94861.html

So the speculation since October started has been where will Hamilton end up next. Pretty much since the day he dropped that fly ball in Oakland, it's been a slam dunk he wasn't returning. So where could he end up? How about Baltimore.

The Orioles were already a favorite to land the free agent slugger, and they made things a little more likely this week when they declined an $11 million option on corner infielder Mark Reynolds, a slugger who likes to strike out and take walks.

So what's that mean for Hamilton? It means former Rangers first baseman Chris Davis will probably move to first permanently from the outfield after a breakout season and open up an outfield spot for Hamilton to slide into, pairing him with Adam Jones and Nick Markakis in the Orioles' outfield. That's not a bad outfield at all, in case you were wondering.
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 3:27 pm

This article was lacking the qualifying paragraph that said:

"Of course, if Josh is looking for more than three years the Orioles would no longer be interested, and for good reason."
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » November 2nd, 2012, 3:43 pm

ofahn wrote:This article was lacking the qualifying paragraph that said:

"Of course, if Josh is looking for more than three years the Orioles would no longer be interested, and for good reason."


Is the 3 years your opinion or have the Orioles said that? The reason why I'm asking is you have repeated the same thing on numerous threads.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #4 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 4:04 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Is the 3 years your opinion or have the Orioles said that? The reason why I'm asking is you have repeated the same thing on numerous threads.


It was my touch of sarcasm. The member that made the original post went bat sh*t last winter that Peter Angelos' "secret" agenda was to sign Prince Fielder. Next year it could be Mary Poppins IF she has an OPS of over .900.

I have no doubt that PA would give DD the green light to sign Hamilton if the contract was for three years and between 70 and 80M. Beyond that, they would both have doubts; and for good reason. We don't have unlimited resources so we can't afford to be wrong on ANY contract, much less a long term big dollar one. We rolled the dice that Brian Roberts wouldn't get old fast and came up craps on that one. Because of what may be a dead 10M next season the team is looking at a small increase in payroll from just existing contracts and arbitration raises alone. That doesn't allow for big money acquisitions.

I believe that, considering the revenues, a payroll of just north of 100M is appropriate, BUT I'm NOT PA; so I can't call up DD and give him the good news.

As I said, for a talent like Hamilton I could see Angelos be willing to take a SHORT term risk, but not a big dollar long one.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » November 2nd, 2012, 4:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
It was my touch of sarcasm. The member that made the original post went bat sh*t last winter that Peter Angelos' "secret" agenda was to sign Prince Fielder. Next year it could be Mary Poppins IF she has an OPS of over .900.

I have no doubt that PA would give DD the green light to sign Hamilton if the contract was for three years and between 70 and 80M. Beyond that, they would both have doubts; and for good reason. We don't have unlimited resources so we can't afford to be wrong on ANY contract, much less a long term big dollar one. We rolled the dice that Brian Roberts wouldn't get old fast and came up craps on that one. Because of what may be a dead 10M next season the team is looking at a small increase in payroll from just existing contracts and arbitration raises alone. That doesn't allow for big money acquisitions.

I believe that, considering the revenues, a payroll of just north of 100M is appropriate, BUT I'm NOT PA; so I can't call up DD and give him the good news.

As I said, for a talent like Hamilton I could see Angelos be willing to take a SHORT term risk, but not a big dollar long one.


Personally my opinion is that he wants at least 5 years (who wouldn't) but will probably settle for 4 years. It's always a gamble and since the Albert Belle situation Angelos is probably still feeling snake bit. The Orioles will at least need to go 4 years and that offer can't be extended until next Friday at the earliest.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #6 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 4:22 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Personally my opinion is that he wants at least 5 years (who wouldn't) but will probably settle for 4 years.


Personally, I want to date super models, but I would be willing to settle for Playmates. I suppose if some team is STUPID enough to give it to him................................

Seafordeagles wrote:It's always a gamble and since the Albert Belle situation Angelos is probably still feeling snake bit. The Orioles will at least need to go 4 years and that offer can't be extended until next Friday at the earliest.


If I were making this decision the only way I would go four is to make it a vested option based on plate appearances (ABs plus BBs and other ABs that don't count as an AB). In an effort to go half way I would bump the last year's salary by five million as a sign of good faith. Heck, if he's still giving 600 or so PAs at that point he's WORTH the extra money.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » November 2nd, 2012, 7:32 pm

My understanding is the club works this way.

Peter Angelos says this mythical number $??? million and that is the very high end of what you can do to run and improve the major league team.

He on occasion gives the OK to surpass that magic number under the stipulation that DD had better show positive results in the win column or else.

That said what Ofahn said above is pretty accurate. Hamilton could certainly help this team but he is 31 years old, plays very average at best defense and could just as easily decline a great deal in a hurry.

I honestly think for the money it would take to sign Hamilton that the club could improve itself elsewhere and with less risk. Additionally DD wants to build the team from the bottom up. He isn't going to surrender his top pick in next years draft.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 779
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » November 2nd, 2012, 10:21 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:My understanding is the club works this way.

Peter Angelos says this mythical number $??? million and that is the very high end of what you can do to run and improve the major league team.

He on occasion gives the OK to surpass that magic number under the stipulation that DD had better show positive results in the win column or else.

That said what Ofahn said above is pretty accurate. Hamilton could certainly help this team but he is 31 years old, plays very average at best defense and could just as easily decline a great deal in a hurry.

I honestly think for the money it would take to sign Hamilton that the club could improve itself elsewhere and with less risk. Additionally DD wants to build the team from the bottom up. He isn't going to surrender his top pick in next years draft.


Agree, thats worth a Rep.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 251
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #9 by Matt P » November 3rd, 2012, 12:47 am

Old Sneakers wrote:My understanding is the club works this way.

Peter Angelos says this mythical number $??? million and that is the very high end of what you can do to run and improve the major league team.

He on occasion gives the OK to surpass that magic number under the stipulation that DD had better show positive results in the win column or else.

That said what Ofahn said above is pretty accurate. Hamilton could certainly help this team but he is 31 years old, plays very average at best defense and could just as easily decline a great deal in a hurry.

I honestly think for the money it would take to sign Hamilton that the club could improve itself elsewhere and with less risk. Additionally DD wants to build the team from the bottom up. He isn't going to surrender his top pick in next years draft.

I 100% believe that things are now run differently than they were in the past. Peter has always been willing to and has always spent money in the past. Can we please stop acting like he made them work with a 50 million dollar payroll and he is this horrible owner who won't spend any money? He's a horrible owner because he used to meddle. He now has two guys he completely trusts in Duquette and Buck.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » November 3rd, 2012, 1:22 am

Honestly MattP I am not putting down Peter Angelos in any way shape or form. While I think early in his ownership I think he misspent on free agents. However, that has curtailed significantly in recent years. Much of recent misspending can be blamed on Andy McPhail.

I do know that the team has a budget it must operate within though. The owner wants results and the team to be competitive. I do not know that Hamilton is a good investment.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 779
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #11 by Matt P » November 3rd, 2012, 1:46 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Honestly MattP I am not putting down Peter Angelos in any way shape or form. While I think early in his ownership I think he misspent on free agents. However, that has curtailed significantly in recent years. Much of recent misspending can be blamed on Andy McPhail.

I do know that the team has a budget it must operate within though. The owner wants results and the team to be competitive. I do not know that Hamilton is a good investment.

But why are we making a big deal out of this budget? Every business in the world has a budget that it sets to operate under.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: October 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Reputation Score: 37

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » November 3rd, 2012, 2:18 am

Because it is a HUGE condition under which every baseball franchise operates under.

Josh Hamilton is a fine slugger but he's likely peaked and his play in the field is lack-luster. Honestly I would rather see the team pick up a quality starting pitcher, add pieces that help manufacture runs and fill other needs for the same money that Hamilton would cost. The budget is a consideration for next season just as much as it is for subsequent seasons.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 779
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #13 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 7:50 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Because it is a HUGE condition under which every baseball franchise operates under.

Josh Hamilton is a fine slugger but he's likely peaked and his play in the field is lack-luster. Honestly I would rather see the team pick up a quality starting pitcher, add pieces that help manufacture runs and fill other needs for the same money that Hamilton would cost. The budget is a consideration for next season just as much as it is for subsequent seasons.


It's been a long time since one paragraph was packed with so much truth. POINTS!
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #14 by birdwatcher55 » November 3rd, 2012, 8:07 am

I don't watch Texas on a daily basis but Hamilton looks fine to me. If you think he has dropped off in the field, put him in LF and leave Adam in CF. I really think he would thrive in Baltimore with Buck, a friendly media and great fans who would embrace him. I would go 4@25 mil per and see if he is interested 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 1624
Joined: November 2011
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles "Open Door to Hamilton"

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 3rd, 2012, 12:13 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Because it is a HUGE condition under which every baseball franchise operates under.

Josh Hamilton is a fine slugger but he's likely peaked and his play in the field is lack-luster. Honestly I would rather see the team pick up a quality starting pitcher, add pieces that help manufacture runs and fill other needs for the same money that Hamilton would cost. The budget is a consideration for next season just as much as it is for subsequent seasons.

All very true. On top of that Hamilton is streaky and as ofahn says often we already have way too many hitters like that.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57




Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron