Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who should be the next Orioles Legend to be honored with a statue

Who should be the next Orioles Legend to be honored with a statue

PostPost #1 by rudyrooster » November 1st, 2012, 10:56 pm

I loved the Legends statues this past season and it couldn't have come at a more appropriate time considering the O's resurgence in 2012. I have absolutely no disagreements with the 6 Orioles Legends chosen for this honor. I assume a new Legend will be honored from time-to-time in the coming years. Whom would you like to see honored NEXT with a statue at the ballpark? I have a short list of my own "personal favorites". They include Paul Blair, Boog Powell, Luis Aparitio, Mark Belanger , Rick Dempsey, Mike Flanagan, and Davey Johnson. I realize that some of these guys are not MLB Hall of Famers, but they are cherished by lifelong Orioles fans for their efforts both on and off the baseball diamond. Whom am I missing on my "short list"?
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Who should be the next Orioles Legend to be honored with a statue

PostPost #2 by Matt P » November 1st, 2012, 11:07 pm

I don't think they plan on anymore statues for a long time.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by steve » November 2nd, 2012, 12:43 pm

Why not Jerry Hoffberger? He owned the National Brewing company and bought the St Louis Browns from Bill Veck and moved the club to Baltimore. He should get a statue
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 2nd, 2012, 1:14 pm

rudyrooster wrote:I loved the Legends statues this past season and it couldn't have come at a more appropriate time considering the O's resurgence in 2012. I have absolutely no disagreements with the 6 Orioles Legends chosen for this honor. I assume a new Legend will be honored from time-to-time in the coming years. Whom would you like to see honored NEXT with a statue at the ballpark? I have a short list of my own "personal favorites". They include Paul Blair, Boog Powell, Luis Aparitio, Mark Belanger , Rick Dempsey, Mike Flanagan, and Davey Johnson. I realize that some of these guys are not MLB Hall of Famers, but they are cherished by lifelong Orioles fans for their efforts both on and off the baseball diamond. Whom am I missing on my "short list"?

The statues were for CY20, I believe.

I could see them adding a Flanagan statue at some point though.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » November 2nd, 2012, 2:45 pm

Three come to mind: Boog Powell (1B) ... the late, great Mark Belanger (SS)....the late Mike Flanagan and former O's GM(LHP) 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 3:22 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I could see them adding a Flanagan statue at some point though.

He was a good person, but wouldn't adding him be diluting the standard set by the others? At that point how can you argue against Belanger or McNally?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by osforlife » November 2nd, 2012, 4:18 pm

I see them sticking with the 6 right now. Its kinda like the Orioles Mount Rushmore plus 2 more. Best Oriole Fielder: Brooksie, Best Oriole Manger: Earl Weaver, Best Oriole Pitcher: Jim Palmer, All-Around Oriole: Cal Ripken, Best Oriole Hitters: Frank Robinson and Eddie Murray.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » November 3rd, 2012, 8:17 am

ofahn wrote:
He was a good person, but wouldn't adding him be diluting the standard set by the others? At that point how can you argue against Belanger or McNally?

Not at all .. Flanagan deserves to be there IMHO. Belanger and McNally are slam dunks as well or at least should be 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles