Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Where does Chris Davis fit in?

Re: Where does Chris Davis fit in?

PostPost #16 by Seafordeagles » November 1st, 2012, 9:16 pm

ofahn wrote:
Hence the IF qualification.

Reynolds played at twenty pounds heavier for his ML career until he thought that losing the weight would allow him to play 3B better. He clearly was willing and able to make that adjustment. He just needs to accept that he NEEDS to make this adjustment.

Then losing 20 pounds must have zapped his power numbers as well. I know you have posted numerous times that he needs to make the "adjustment" but truthfully, do you really see that happening?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #17 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 9:41 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Then losing 20 pounds must have zapped his power numbers as well.

If that was the case then why did he hit 15 HRs in the last two months?

Seafordeagles wrote:I know you have posted numerous times that he needs to make the "adjustment" but truthfully, do you really see that happening?

The answer is a DEFINITE ......................................................................I don't know. Although I believe he's capable of it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » November 1st, 2012, 9:48 pm

ofahn wrote:

If that was the case then why did he hit 15 HRs in the last two months?

The answer is a DEFINITE ......................................................................I don't know. Although I believe he's capable of it.

Then how do you explain the "case" that he only hit 8 home runs the first 4 months of the season? C'mon man, you know the guys streaky and I know it as well. He's easily replaceable at a cheaper cost.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 2nd, 2012, 11:37 am

osforlife wrote:Betemit needs to be the left-handed DH vs righties. Save money and have Davis be the 1B. .Hopefully, his defense turns around. Not sure if I'am the only one here, but, excluding his cannon, I think CD was a terrible outfielder.

Agree on Betemit but I completely disagree on Davis. To me he looked terrible at 1B. Much too stiff moving around the bag and not very good at picking balls out of the dirt and that's with plenty of pro experience at the position. He has almost no experience in the OF so if he works on it during the winter and spring training maybe he could become average. He has pretty good speed (but not quickness) and of course he has a CANNON (best on the team IMO) which would be wasted at 1B.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #20 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 12:22 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:
Agree on Betemit but I completely disagree on Davis. To me he looked terrible at 1B. Much too stiff moving around the bag and not very good at picking balls out of the dirt and that's with plenty of pro experience at the position. He has almost no experience in the OF so if he works on it during the winter and spring training maybe he could become average. He has pretty good speed (but not quickness) and of course he has a CANNON (best on the team IMO) which would be wasted at 1B.

I agree with everything you said, but I wonder why you feel he couldn't make the adjustments to improve his game. There's no doubt he's built like a tree stump yet he seems to have an athletic grace that is simply short on muscle memory. I actually think he could become almost graceful if he took Tai Chi or modern dance.

You thoughts?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 2nd, 2012, 1:25 pm

ofahn wrote:
I agree with everything you said, but I wonder why you feel he couldn't make the adjustments to improve his game. There's no doubt he's built like a tree stump yet he seems to have an athletic grace that is simply short on muscle memory. I actually think he could become almost graceful if he took Tai Chi or modern dance.

You thoughts?

He does surprise with his athleticism for his size but I just don't think quickness is ever going to be his strong suit. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I think LF better suits his athletic abilities. LF would allow him to use his great arm and take most of his "quickness" issues out of the equation. He also showed an ability to make diving catches when he was in RF this past season. LF also is slightly further right on the defensive spectrum that his bat would profile slightly better at.

This would also leave a spot open for Reynolds if they decide to keep him. I guess it comes down to what other moves the O's make in the offseason and whether they need him more at 1B or LF. One thing is for sure I would prefer Davis's glove over Betemit's at ANY position. I think Betemit should be the DH against RHP and Davis should play every day. The other options should be Reynolds, Reimold, and McLouth. Whichever player(s) out of those three they keep will help determine where Davis fits. My preference is still LF with Reynolds at 1B.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #22 by osforlife » November 2nd, 2012, 4:08 pm

Davis was supposed to be an above-average defender at first base when we snatched him from Texas. He spent alot of the offseason working at third. He also hit much better playing 1st.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #23 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 4:26 pm

osforlife wrote:Davis was supposed to be an above-average defender at first base when we snatched him from Texas. He spent alot of the offseason working at third. He also hit much better playing 1st.

I honestly believe that with an off season of hard work he can be a league average or better 1B. I also think he could play LF at the same level. It will all depend on whether we resign Mark Reynolds.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Rising O's » November 2nd, 2012, 10:05 pm

In the worst case, Chris Davis is my every day DH. Betimit might hit better vs RH but he provides severely limited benefit otherwise. I want the young Davis in there and improving every game.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #25 by birdwatcher55 » November 3rd, 2012, 8:22 am

I really don't want to see Betimit on this roster next year if possible. That would signal to me that we haven't upgraded our offense enough 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #26 by thezeroes » November 3rd, 2012, 10:42 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I really don't want to see Betimit on this roster next year if possible. That would signal to me that we haven't upgraded our offense enough 8-)

A .302/.357/.502/.859 slash line for $1.75 Million is hard to find in either league.
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #27 by osforlife » November 3rd, 2012, 11:25 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:I really don't want to see Betimit on this roster next year if possible. That would signal to me that we haven't upgraded our offense enough 8-)

Yeah lets just release all our players of value...Hammel, Betemit, Patton..cmon man. Patton was one our our best relievers out of the pen, Hammel was our best or 2nd best starter when healthy, and look at Betemit's slash line vs RHP. RHP are what a team faces about..what..70% of the time.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #28 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 11:43 am

osforlife wrote:look at Betemit's slash line vs RHP. RHP are what a team faces about..what..70% of the time.

Just hide his glove.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by thezeroes » November 3rd, 2012, 11:55 am

ofahn wrote:
Just hide his glove.

"Points"
thezeroes
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #30 by Jordan Tuwiner » November 3rd, 2012, 12:18 pm

If Reynolds does not return I see Betemit and Davis splitting a lot of time at 1B or Betemit playing 1B against righties, with Davis at DH.

Betemit had a .370 wOBA against righties last season. That's better than Adam Jones, your guy Adam LaRoche, Ben Zobrist, David Freese, Matt Holiday, and many more. Why would we release this guy?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles