Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#25 Prospect - Matt Angle

#25 Prospect - Matt Angle

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 21st, 2011, 11:32 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9360

Despite being a polished college center fielder it appeared Matt Angle was going to have a very slow ascent through the minors. He spent full seasons at both Delmarva (2008) and Frederick (2009) before heading towards Bowie for 2010. His well rounded game was simply too good for the Eastern League and the Orioles bumped him up to Norfolk after just 14 games.

His batting average with the Tides wasn’t quite as high as had been throughout his career, but he continued toplay fundamentally sound baseball, making the most out of his ability. He stole 24 bases in 28 tries (86%) and drew walks in 10.3% of his plate appearances.

Full top 50 list
25. Matt Angle
26. Cameron Coffey
27. Randy Henry
28. Aaron Wirsch
29. Matt Bywater
30. Luis Lebron
31. Luis Noel
32. Tim Berry
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #25 Prospect - Matt Angle

PostPost #2 by Don » March 22nd, 2011, 9:14 am

I am about to show my age, but he really reminds me of Craig Reynolds at the plate. He would be a better prospect, if he had those strong defensive numbers at the middle infield position. He is simply a guy that will find a way on base and push runs across the board, if someone can hit behind him.

I poor man's Scott Podsednik has the chance to steal some games in center, if the team plans to move Adam Jones to left. Scrappy types always work on any 25 man roster. I guess another late season look is on the horizon. It is nice to have him on a quick call in case of injuries and this Orioles team is known to have its' fair share.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » March 23rd, 2011, 4:28 pm

Matt is also an exceptional bunter, both to move runners along in key spots and using the bunt to get on base. Can turn any walk into a double. He is a prototype for what a lead-off hitter should be. Knock will always be has no potential for any power. I still think Jones has trade value, and the drop off with Angle in center would be nothing. Love to see O's move to get this kid in the lineup now. He is as ready as he will ever be.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 24th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Don wrote:I poor man's Scott Podsednik has the chance to steal some games in center, if the team plans to move Adam Jones to left. Scrappy types always work on any 25 man roster. I guess another late season look is on the horizon. It is nice to have him on a quick call in case of injuries and this Orioles team is known to have its' fair share.

Nice comp Don. Jones and Pie are often injured so it's nice to have a major league ready guy waiting and available.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues