Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

MLBTR predicts Swisher, Saunders, Keppinger to Orioles

Re: MLBTR predicts Swisher, Saunders, Keppinger to Orioles

PostPost #16 by LA Detective » November 1st, 2012, 4:35 pm

McClouth isnt a stat monster but he does every part of the game very well and in a way that wins games,..D, speed, Contact, etc...He can bat 1 or 2 on a championship type of club...I really want him and Markakis setting the table for our line up next year...

I have always been a Swisher fan but I think he is turning into a swing and miss guy at this point in his career. Take away about 20 points in average and he isnt that much better than Reynolds and certainly not better than MR at 1b..3 years ago I wanted him for sure but I think he now is a .250 25 HR guy with a high OBA. who would bat 6th or lower in our line up...We have those guys..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #17 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 6:32 pm

LA Detective wrote:I have always been a Swisher fan but I think he is turning into a swing and miss guy at this point in his career. Take away about 20 points in average and he isnt that much better than Reynolds and certainly not better than MR at 1b..3 years ago I wanted him for sure but I think he now is a .250 25 HR guy with a high OBA. who would bat 6th or lower in our line up...We have those guys..

Swisher is much better at manufacturing runs than Reynolds, but I don't where you would hide the glove. Regardless, he apparently took some VERY bad mushrooms and came to the conclusion that he was worth that absurd contract given to Jason Werth. PASS!!!!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by birdwatcher55 » November 1st, 2012, 6:43 pm

I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to give him as Jayson Werth contract 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #19 by osforlife » November 1st, 2012, 6:45 pm

I suggested that the Orioles sign a right-handed infielder to complement lefty bats such as Flaherty, Davis, Betemit, possibly McLouth. I suggested either Jeff Keppinger or Jeff Baker. I also suggested the Orioles sign a mid-rotation starter. Someone of Joe Saunders stature. Not so sure about Nick Swisher. I really hate that guy. Hefty contrct but would be an offensive threat.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #20 by birdwatcher55 » November 1st, 2012, 6:52 pm

I think if Swisher's demands come back to earth you realistically have to look at him as a replacement for Reynolds and I say this with a bit of a heavy heart because Reynolds' glove has really developed into something special at 1B 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 6:53 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think if Swisher's demands come back to earth

That would probably be defined as a ONE year contract.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by birdwatcher55 » November 1st, 2012, 6:55 pm

ofahn wrote:
That would probably be defined as a ONE year contract.

He would never sign for one year. Get real. 3@45-48m might get it done 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Matt P » November 1st, 2012, 11:05 pm

ofahn wrote:
Perhaps this is a fundamental difference in our philosophies, but I ALWAYS bias towards defense first.

I would have thought you would know by now that I am all about defense after I spent all last off season begging the O's to sign defense first players.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm assuming you think Swisher is a bad defender? At worst he is an average defender. It's not entirely a defense vs offense debate like you are trying to make it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #24 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 3:32 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:He would never sign for one year.

OK. Then PASS!!!!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by ofahn » November 2nd, 2012, 3:34 am

Matt P wrote:Maybe I'm wrong but I'm assuming you think Swisher is a bad defender?

At this point I see see him as a fringe defender heading towards DH.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by Matt P » November 3rd, 2012, 12:49 am

ofahn wrote:
At this point I see see him as a fringe defender heading towards DH.

Any reasons for that thought? I only watch the Yankees when they play the Orioles and he has always looked fine in RF. Looking up his UZR it seems like he is a pretty good defender.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #27 by ofahn » November 3rd, 2012, 8:01 am

Matt P wrote:
Any reasons for that thought? I only watch the Yankees when they play the Orioles and he has always looked fine in RF. Looking up his UZR it seems like he is a pretty good defender.

I have always seen him as a 1B. He was playing RF because NY had Tex. I'll give him credit for making himself into a league average RF, but he's never really been comfortable there. His routes are below average, he doesn't play balls in the corner well, and his arm is below average for RF. IMO over the last few years he's started to slow down in his movement out there. At his age it's understandable, but it's also heading towards fringe status.

Let's face it, his best position has always been bat. He WAS very good there, but that's starting to fade a bit too. If he and Torii Hunter were standing side by side for a pick up game I would pick Hunter because of his glove AND his bat. IMO both of those players would be a solid addition to any club ON A ONE YEAR CONTRACT. Hunter might accept that's where he is in his career. I don't think Swisher will.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by birdwatcher55 » November 3rd, 2012, 8:12 am

I think Hunter has been a situational seventh inning guy waiting to happen for several years. Step into the light!! 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles