Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Where does Chris Davis fit in?

Where does Chris Davis fit in?

PostPost #1 by docjj » November 1st, 2012, 11:19 am

He seems to be the odd man out to me. Maybe keep him as left handed DH? He's very one-dimensional. Power. He's ok at 1B and he didn't embarass himself when stuck in right field. But he seems like a DH type to me.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Where does Chris Davis fit in?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 11:26 am

docjj wrote:He seems to be the odd man out to me. Maybe keep him as left handed DH? He's very one-dimensional. Power. He's ok at 1B and he didn't embarass himself when stuck in right field. But he seems like a DH type to me.

If he were to significantly improve his defense he could be an All Star.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by birdwatcher55 » November 1st, 2012, 11:59 am

LF potentially depending on Reimold's health next year 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #4 by OriolesRedskins28 » November 1st, 2012, 4:40 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:LF potentially depending on Reimold's health next year 8-)

I think he should be the everyday left fielder. With some more reps he wouldn't be THAT bad out there and he has an absolute cannon for an arm. I think that would maximize his value.

docjj wrote:He seems to be the odd man out to me. Maybe keep him as left handed DH? He's very one-dimensional. Power. He's ok at 1B and he didn't embarass himself when stuck in right field. But he seems like a DH type to me.

I don't think there's any way he's the oddman out next year after having hit .270 with 33 home runs this year.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » November 1st, 2012, 4:45 pm

I dont think his 1b days are over according to a quote Buck had late in the season saying CD still could tun out to be a great 1b (something close to that).

I think he is a luxury to have right now..If we land a first baseman this winter then CD is the DH who is not one dimensional. He can fill in at 1b or the OF..

It would be awesome for Reimold to pick up where he left off last year. Be our full time DH and fill in the OF..Then Davis to 1b, but at this point if Reimold isnt moving around athletically then we need to move on without him and have a good problem to deal with when/if he comes back.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » November 1st, 2012, 5:34 pm

Just looking at the numbers. To me it's a no brainer. Put Davis on 1st base and save 8 to 10 million by letting Reynolds go. Then use that 8 to 10 million on pitching or whatever. Davis is going to outhit Reynolds. It's not that tough to replace Reynolds' 23 home runs. Plus whoever it will be will probably not strike out 169 to 225 times a season.

My money is on Chris Davis being the everyday 1st baseman.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 6:11 pm

OriolesRedskins28 wrote:I think he should be the everyday left fielder. With some more reps he wouldn't be THAT bad out there and he has an absolute cannon for an arm. I think that would maximize his value.

He would need to spend the winter working on his routes and handling balls off of the wall so that his defense is at least league average. The question may come down to whether we want his defense at 1B or LF.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 6:14 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Davis is going to outhit Reynolds.

No doubt IF Reynolds is unwilling to start taking the outside pitch to RF; however, at this point Reynolds is a MUCH better defender at 1B. Davis would have to make a significant improvement in his production (ignore the one pitch he can't handle) or his defense to make up the difference.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » November 1st, 2012, 6:16 pm

ofahn wrote:
No doubt IF Reynolds is unwilling to start taking the outside pitch to RF; however, at this point Reynolds is a MUCH better defender at 1B. Davis would have to make a significant improvement in his production (ignore the one pitch he can't handle) or his defense to make up the difference.

Reynolds is not 8 to 10 million dollars better then Davis at 1st base. It's all going to come down to money. So saying that, I would rather have Davis at 1st base and look to spend that money saved on Reynolds somewhere else.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 6:27 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Reynolds is not 8 to 10 million dollars better then Davis at 1st base. It's all going to come down to money. So saying that, I would rather have Davis at 1st base and look to spend that money saved on Reynolds somewhere else.

Perhaps I'm looking at this BEYOND just two players. IF Reynolds starts taking the outside pitch to RF then he becomes an All Star quality 1B and is worth 8M+. IF Davis improves his defense in LF to league average or better then he becomes an impact player where we wouldn't otherwise have one. That would allow Reimold to be the DH where he could have production in the same range as Davis. If Reimold isn't able to play to that level then DH is probably the easiest position to get a quality player during the season.

In effect, IF Reynolds makes the adjustment we get better production and defense at multiple positions than we would otherwise and the TOTAL payroll expense could be less.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » November 1st, 2012, 6:38 pm

Betemit needs to be the left-handed DH vs righties. Save money and have Davis be the 1B. .Hopefully, his defense turns around. Not sure if I'am the only one here, but, excluding his cannon, I think CD was a terrible outfielder.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » November 1st, 2012, 6:41 pm

I think Davis could be a competent RF with more playing time but I would look at him as a possible leftfield solution first 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #13 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 6:48 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I think Davis could be a competent RF with more playing time but I would look at him as a possible leftfield solution first 8-)

Most people consider RF a more difficult position to play than LF. Davis has a great arm so having slightly above average defense there could make him an impact player. Imagine having bazookas at all three OF positions.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » November 1st, 2012, 7:47 pm

ofahn wrote:
Perhaps I'm looking at this BEYOND just two players. IF Reynolds starts taking the outside pitch to RF then he becomes an All Star quality 1B and is worth 8M+. IF Davis improves his defense in LF to league average or better then he becomes an impact player where we wouldn't otherwise have one. That would allow Reimold to be the DH where he could have production in the same range as Davis. If Reimold isn't able to play to that level then DH is probably the easiest position to get a quality player during the season.

In effect, IF Reynolds makes the adjustment we get better production and defense at multiple positions than we would otherwise and the TOTAL payroll expense could be less.

What makes you think that Reynolds will EVER make that adjustment? He's not that type of hitter and probably never will be.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 8:07 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
What makes you think that Reynolds will EVER make that adjustment? He's not that type of hitter and probably never will be.

Hence the IF qualification.

Reynolds played at twenty pounds heavier for his ML career until he thought that losing the weight would allow him to play 3B better. He clearly was willing and able to make that adjustment. He just needs to accept that he NEEDS to make this adjustment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles