Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How will the rest of the division look next year?

How will the rest of the division look next year?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 2:09 pm

We do not know what signings and trades will happen during the off-season. However, we still have a general idea of what to expect from the rest of the division next year.

I do not really expect the Red Sox to be competitive. The Yankees and Rays will be good as always.

I think the Blue Jays could be a threat next year. If Romero turns things around, and Bautista, Morrow and Lawrie all stay healthy they should have a pretty solid team.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: How will the rest of the division look next year?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:16 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:We do not know what signings and trades will happen during the off-season. However, we still have a general idea of what to expect from the rest of the division next year.

I do not really expect the Red Sox to be competitive. The Yankees and Rays will be good as always.

I think the Blue Jays could be a threat next year. If Romero turns things around, and Bautista, Morrow and Lawrie all stay healthy they should have a pretty solid team.

I agree that Tampa will be a much better team next because I expect them to trade some of their pitching surplus for quality hitting. I agree that Boston wouldn't be a contender, but I can see them being a much harder team to beat.

I think the Yankees will take a four or five game step back unless they exchange some quality younger players for some of their over the hill veterans. They also need to find at least one quality SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by osforlife » October 30th, 2012, 2:23 pm

Rays I think will be really tough. They we're crappy on defense during the first half if I belive correctly, and that isn't them. Pitching will be dominant again, and I expect them to trade Shields.
Yanks will slide a little bit; notch above .500 team.
Sox and Jays are a mess.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:25 pm

osforlife wrote:They we're crappy on defense during the first half if I belive correctly, and that isn't them.

All year. Because Scott and Pena had off years and Longoria was out for a long time they were forced to use players that were more bat than glove. They just didn't have the bucks to buy quality replacements.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 2:36 pm

I would rate Tampa as the team to beat right now with the Orioles a close second. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 10:13 am

I think the Orioles should be able to compete even if they don't make any upgrades to the team.

Toronto is going to be better if they can get (and stay) healthy. New York is going to be New York. Tampa is going to drop off a little bit IMO. Boston is going to be the worst team in the division.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 11:37 am

Matt P wrote:Tampa is going to drop off a little bit IMO.

If Tampa gets Soriano as their DH or Butler as their 1B they will improve on this year. IF they get them BOTH, look out.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » October 31st, 2012, 2:24 pm

I wouldnt mind the O's getting Butler!!!

Tampa will be tough if Longoria remains healthy and they plug some holes. They have to be the team to beat, maybe for the whole AL.

I really believe the Yanks will not make the playoffs and will fall to 87 or less wins. The Sox have money and will do enough to be around .500...

O's will be chasing the Rays for first. It might take 97 wins....

Yanks,Sox,and Jays in a close battle for 3-5 spots....
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 4:32 pm

LA Detective wrote:I wouldnt mind the O's getting Butler!!!

Neither would I, but he won't be cheap. Now that they have acquired Ervin Santana they can be a bit more selective in filling out their pitching staff.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » October 31st, 2012, 7:54 pm

that was the first thing I thought when I saw the Santana trade...I really saw us trading with KC before that...either Butler or Hosmer..Only problem with Butler, I think he is only a DH type...Poor on D...Not 100% on that..But i would still want him..Davis at 1b/Butler DH..curious what DD/Buck think about the upside of Hosmer...Very Young and top of the darft at #3..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 9:48 pm

ofahn wrote:
If Tampa gets Soriano as their DH or Butler as their 1B they will improve on this year. IF they get them BOTH, look out.

Who says they are getting either of them?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 9:52 pm

Matt P wrote:Who says they are getting either of them?

They would be the logical move and always seems to get the job done.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 9:54 pm

ofahn wrote:
They would be the logical move and always seems to get the job done.

I have not read or heard anywhere that they were even expected to go after Soriano and/or Butler.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » November 1st, 2012, 11:01 am

Matt P wrote:
I have not read or heard anywhere that they were even expected to go after Soriano and/or Butler.

Look deeper.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by birdwatcher55 » November 1st, 2012, 12:23 pm

There is no way the Orioles go after Soriano and his contract. I love Butler and he would be great at Camden Yards with that short RF porch but he would cost a ton in prospects. Ready to give up Gausman, Schoop and Delmonico type package??. That would likely be the initial asking price. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles