Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Kevin Youkilis Is Now A Free Agent

Kevin Youkilis Is Now A Free Agent

PostPost #1 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 6:53 pm

I understand we would be getting this guy on the downside of his career, but he really intrigues me. He can play 1B and 3B respectably and has a very good OBA. He also REALLY cares about winning. Once he got to the White Sox this year he played very well.

Is anyone else interested in signing him to a ONE year contract? If so, for how much and where would you play him and WHY?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... ypepad.com
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Kevin Youkilis Is Now A Free Agent

PostPost #2 by LA Detective » October 30th, 2012, 8:39 pm

I think if medically we believe he can play 145 games (back problems isnt it??) then it is a no brainer for 1b.. we could keep our young starters for another trade or another year instead of making a trade for a 1b...Markakis, McClouth and Youk would be my top 3 and solve alot of problems with with a low OBA at the top/middle..He also was pretty good on D at 1b...its all about how healthy he will be.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #3 by steve » October 30th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Hes old. But hes welcome to join Rick Demsey on O's extra on MASN.
steve
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 1

PostPost #4 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 10:25 am

He hasn't been a good defender at 3B for a few years now. His OBP was .001 higher than Reynolds' last season. Add all the drama with him in the Boston clubhouse and it makes no sense to sign this guy to replace Reynolds at 1B. What makes even less sense than that is to think he is a legitimate top of the order hitter.

I could see him working out as a platoon at DH with Betemit but that's the only way I would consider signing him. He's probably going to want to be a full time starter and get paid like one. Pass.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 11:30 am

Matt P wrote:He hasn't been a good defender at 3B for a few years now. His OBP was .001 higher than Reynolds' last season. Add all the drama with him in the Boston clubhouse and it makes no sense to sign this guy to replace Reynolds at 1B. What makes even less sense than that is to think he is a legitimate top of the order hitter.

I know we have had our differences (that's putting it mildly) over Reynolds this year so you might be surprised when I tell you that I would like to see a Mark Reynolds come back next year. The Mark Reynolds I would be willing to give 8 or 9M to would accept that he doesn't HAVE to pull everything and that he has such tremendous power that if he took an outside pitch the other way it would probably STILL bounce off the RF wall. The Mark Reynolds I want back would focus on manufacturing runs ahead of HRs. The Mark Reynolds I want back would make some small, but important, improvements in his range to his right and his read off of the bat in that direction. Those minor adjustments could make him a .260/.370/.540 hitter with over a 100 RBIs AND runs scored. He might also be a finalist for a Gold Glove.

I also see him as a solid guy in the clubhouse, just like Mark Reynolds. The Red Sox PLAYERS as a group didn't see to have a problem with him. VALENTINE did, for whatever reason. I thought I saw a series of stories out of Boston where the players were mad that he had been traded and blamed Valentine for it.

Matt P wrote:I could see him working out as a platoon at DH with Betemit but that's the only way I would consider signing him. He's probably going to want to be a full time starter and get paid like one. Pass.

How much do you think he'll ask for, and how much do you see as reasonable?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by LA Detective » October 31st, 2012, 2:46 pm

Youkilis will be 34 opening day. HIs numbers have really declined the last 2 years but coincidently it also was when he moved from 1st to 3rd. I still think this is something to consider if we believe he has no lingering specific injury. 1b/DH only..

I would rather a trade for a more elite player though if possible to man 1b
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » October 31st, 2012, 2:53 pm

Just re-sign Reynolds 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by jonas winslo » October 31st, 2012, 3:55 pm

Scoop him up like ice-cream.
jonas winslo
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 4:27 pm

LA Detective wrote:I would rather a trade for a more elite player though if possible to man 1b

Billy Butler for pitching is something that MIGHT happen; BUT would we be willing to give up what KC would want, and would we be better off offering a little less for Headley?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by steve » October 31st, 2012, 4:42 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Just re-sign Reynolds 8-)

I agree
steve
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by birdwatcher55 » October 31st, 2012, 6:44 pm

I see Youk ending up in New York 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #12 by steve » October 31st, 2012, 6:45 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I see Youk ending up in New York 8-)

As a Met. ;)
steve
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 9:43 pm

ofahn wrote:
I know we have had our differences (that's putting it mildly) over Reynolds this year so you might be surprised when I tell you that I would like to see a Mark Reynolds come back next year. The Mark Reynolds I would be willing to give 8 or 9M to would accept that he doesn't HAVE to pull everything and that he has such tremendous power that if he took an outside pitch the other way it would probably STILL bounce off the RF wall. The Mark Reynolds I want back would focus on manufacturing runs ahead of HRs. The Mark Reynolds I want back would make some small, but important, improvements in his range to his right and his read off of the bat in that direction. Those minor adjustments could make him a .260/.370/.540 hitter with over a 100 RBIs AND runs scored. He might also be a finalist for a Gold Glove.

I also see him as a solid guy in the clubhouse, just like Mark Reynolds. The Red Sox PLAYERS as a group didn't see to have a problem with him. VALENTINE did, for whatever reason. I thought I saw a series of stories out of Boston where the players were mad that he had been traded and blamed Valentine for it.

How much do you think he'll ask for, and how much do you see as reasonable?

The one thing I will say is that you ask a lot out of these players. Sometimes, it's harder than we all think it is. He's spent his whole life being a masher and that's what got him all his money to this point in his life.

I have no clue how much he will want but I wouldn't give him more than two or three million to be a DH vs LHP which means he likely wouldn't be a player on any team I was in charge of.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 10:45 pm

Matt P wrote:He's spent his whole life being a masher and that's what got him all his money to this point in his life.

Mark Reynolds is an intelligent guy and a hard worker. I have faith that IF he accepts what is holding him back from being a truly elite hitter he's perfectly capable of making the adjustment.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 10:51 pm

ofahn wrote:
Mark Reynolds is an intelligent guy and a hard worker. I have faith that IF he accepts what is holding him back from being a truly elite hitter he's perfectly capable of making the adjustment.

Perhaps, but he did hit over .260 twice in his career with Arizona. I don't think it's as much of a slam dunk that he will. Even if he doesn't I would still love to have him for the next 2 or 3 years.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles