Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles will pick up Ayala's option

Re: Orioles will pick up Ayala's option

PostPost #16 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 5:59 am

Matt P wrote:I think you meant to type majors instead of minors?

No, Wada has a clause in his contract that requires HIS permission to option him to the minors.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 10:14 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:https://twitter.com/masnRoch/statuses/263004312983191555

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/statuses/2 ... 5340198914

Not somebody I would have gone out of my way to sign. I would have rather promoted a young, power arm 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #18 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 10:25 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Not somebody I would have gone out of my way to sign. I would have rather promoted a young, power arm 8-)

WHICH young power arm are you referring to?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 12:10 pm

ofahn wrote:
WHICH young power arm are you referring to?

I understand we have several at the AA level. Let's give one a long look in ST 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 12:53 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I understand we have several at the AA level. Let's give one a long look in ST 8-)

Please name the pitchers you think should JUMP FROM AA TO THE MAJORS FOR WHAT IS NOW A WINNING TEAM and why you believe these pitchers THAT HAVE NEVER THROWN A ML PITCH would be a better option than Ayala? I'll be the first to admit that I consider him to be our eighth best reliever in a seven man bullpen, but at least he's actually recorded an OUT in the majors.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by osforlife » October 30th, 2012, 1:37 pm

I am fine with this. We don't use the same 7 men in a bullpen all year. He's a good middle reliever, not that expensive. Somebody is certainly gonna go down in ST. Nice to have depth.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #22 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm

osforlife wrote:I am fine with this. We don't use the same 7 men in a bullpen all year. He's a good middle reliever, not that expensive. Somebody is certainly gonna go down in ST. Nice to have depth.

I agree. He's a guy they can use in blowouts who isn't terrible and is cheap. I like having him.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #23 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 1:44 pm

osforlife wrote:I'am fine with this. We don't use the same 7 men in a bullpen all year. He's a good middle reliever, not that expensive. Somebody is certainly gonna go down in ST. Nice to have depth.

On the face of it so am I. My preference would be to trade him this winter for one of the other pieces that we need.

I agree that we'll probably need to exchange some bullpen parts during the season we do have talent in the farm system. It would be best if we weren't FORCED to count on them and kept the luxury of using them on our own schedule.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:He's a guy they can use in blowouts who isn't terrible and is cheap.

Let's try to keep them to a minimum this year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by LA Detective » October 30th, 2012, 1:53 pm

For a Mil it is a good veteran pick-up...He had a good first half and I believe he worn down a bit making up for the lack of Gregg's innings...He provides depth and a good problem to have if everyone is healthy and/or ready to go.

JJ, ODay, Hunter, Strop, Patton, Ayala, and several others including Wada when ready...

I would like to see SJohnson go down and build up innings for SP depth. If he picks up where he left off I wouldn't mind if he was our 5th starter, let alone probably our 7 or 8th option right now. I dont think he has proven he cant go thru a line-up a 3rd time. His exits were due to high pitch counts from the inactivity causing some minor control problems and alot of Ks...I really wish he didnt get hit that last start..He was really in a groove and his pitch count was on a good pace. It would of been a good test to see if he can get thru 7 or 8..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 2:48 pm

ofahn wrote:
Please name the pitchers you think should JUMP FROM AA TO THE MAJORS FOR WHAT IS NOW A WINNING TEAM and why you believe these pitchers THAT HAVE NEVER THROWN A ML PITCH would be a better option than Ayala? I'll be the first to admit that I consider him to be our eighth best reliever in a seven man bullpen, but at least he's actually recorded an OUT in the majors.

Two reasons: we could save money on his contract and devote to other resources; and secondly by developing a young bullpen arm, it's provides insurance if O'Day walks after 2013. You need to look at the big picture a bit.. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:50 pm

ofahn wrote:Please name the pitchers you think should JUMP FROM AA TO THE MAJORS FOR WHAT IS NOW A WINNING TEAM and why you believe these pitchers THAT HAVE NEVER THROWN A ML PITCH would be a better option than Ayala?

Second request.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 2:50 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:Two reasons: we could save money on his contract and devote to other resources; and secondly by developing a young bullpen arm, it's provides insurance if O'Day walks after 2013. You need to look at the big picture a bit.. 8-)

We would only be saving $600,000 if we had a first-year reliever instead of Ayala.

You can develop arms in the minors.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #29 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:51 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:t's provides insurance if O'Day walks after 2013

We have control of him through the 2015 season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... da01.shtml
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 2:57 pm

ofahn wrote:
We have control of him through the 2015 season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... da01.shtml

Thanks for the update. That's good to know 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles