Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Baseball America Rates The Top 10 Orioles' Prospects

Re: Baseball America Rates The Top 10 Orioles' Prospects

PostPost #16 by osforlife » October 30th, 2012, 1:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
He's still a solid prospect, but I wouldn't want to count on him at the expense of bringing in a proven veteran option. Another year of development will do him good.

Not disagreeing with you, what does he need to work on? Defense I'am guessing.?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 1:42 pm

osforlife wrote:Not disagreeing with you, what does he need to work on? Defense I'am guessing.?

He still has some room to work on his defense. There might be a little more power. More time in the minors would do no harm.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Jordan said it as well as I could.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #19 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Schoop was significantly better in the second half of the season.

Taking Delmonico over Gausman would be silly. A guy who is a strong hitter, may not have power, and may be limited to 1B over a potential ace who already has two above-average pitches? That's silly.

We're all entitled to our opinions. I just don't happen to share yours. Delmonico is going to be a top notch hitter as he matures. 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #20 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 2:56 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:We're all entitled to our opinions. I just don't happen to share yours. Delmonico is going to be a top notch hitter as he matures. 8-)

Your opinion that Delmonico will be a productive ML hitter is in good company. Where you leave most of that crowd is when you rate him above a dominant college SP that threw bullets in his first few Milb appearances.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 3:01 pm

ofahn wrote:
Your opinion that Delmonico will be a productive ML hitter is in good company. Where you leave most of that crowd is when you rate him above a dominant college SP that threw bullets in his first few Milb appearances.

Okay let's see how time plays this out my friend 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #22 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 10:15 am

Will any after Bundy and Gausman be in the top 100?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #23 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 11:35 am

Matt P wrote:Will any after Bundy and Gausman be in the top 100?

Schoop?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 31st, 2012, 1:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
Schoop?

I think Schoop is probably in the 110-130 range right now. I've seen some analysts mention that on Twitter.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 2:18 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I think Schoop is probably in the 110-130 range right now. I've seen some analysts mention that on Twitter.

I wonder how his AFL season will affect their evaluations.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 31st, 2012, 2:25 pm

ofahn wrote:
I wonder how his AFL season will affect their evaluations.

I would love to hear thoughts on Schoop from an evaluator in the AFL.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by A_K » October 31st, 2012, 3:30 pm

Boy, wouldn't scouts and prospect publications have looked silly last year if they had punished Dylan Bundy for not pitching for an Orioles minor league affiliate the year he was drafted?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #28 by ofahn » October 31st, 2012, 4:30 pm

A_K wrote:Boy, wouldn't scouts and prospect publications have looked silly last year if they had punished Dylan Bundy for not pitching for an Orioles minor league affiliate the year he was drafted?

Sometimes we just need to consider the source.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 9:34 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I would love to hear thoughts on Schoop from an evaluator in the AFL.

Keith Law tweeted the other day that his thoughts of him have not changed at all.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #30 by Old Sneakers » November 1st, 2012, 1:36 am

I almost hate these sort of rankings. The top 4 looks right to me and then I start wondering if there is some sort of round table discussion or just one guy trying to stack who he likes.

1-Dylan Bundy (Agree)
2-Kevin Gausman (Agree)
3-Jonathan Schoop (Agree)
4-Nick Delmonico (Agree) But he's not my nephew and doesn't mow my lawn so he's "Nick"

OK I part company here
5-L.J. Hoes
Could be a high average hitter with less than good power. Not a gazelle but not mired in quicksand. Very underrated IMO and is deserving of a chance in the big leagues next season in some meaningful way.

6-Mike Wright
Likely to become a decent if unspectacular SP someday. No rush needed just time, patience and hard work.

7-Branden Kline
Very good chance to become the team's closer in a few years. Doubtful that he is just inserted in that role. My guess is he is a 7th inning guy for a couple seasons and the team lives with Jim Johnson as long as it can.

8-Xavier Avery
Likely going to be a utility outfielder as he isn't a natural talent at the plate. Really useful as a pinch runner. However how much playing time will he really get?

9-Tim Berry
Lefties do not grow on trees and has been handled carefully since being drafted. We are just now getting a clue if he was a wasted signing bonus or has the goods to become a SP someday. More time needed.

10-Bobby Bundy
Last year was rough and worrisome to be sure. However he still has a chance to become a solid SP.

11-Eduardo Rodriguez
Another lefty and some hope exists that he can move up through the minor leagues and remain a SP prospect. All I can say is that while he was stingy with HRs last season he isn't a velocity guy. Also, 22 starts in Delmarva is not enough to know what you have.

After this you have guys that could develop and fill a role or fizzle completely. I won't rank Adrian Marin as we only got a little tease this season following the draft. Let's get the kid a full season in Delmarva and see if he's legit before judging. To me it's much the same with Parker Bridwell. He may have been in the system longer but could in the long term become a groundball pitcher that could be a middle of the rotation starter.

Pretty much everyone agrees that the top four prospects are special to solid. After that it is a guessing game and the minor league system is not brimming with talent.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles