Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

MLB Trade Rumors Projects Orioles' Arbitration Salaries

MLB Trade Rumors Projects Orioles' Arbitration Salaries

PostPost #1 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 12:32 pm

Mark Reynolds - $8.9MM (arbitration eligible if $11MM club option is declined)
Jim Johnson - $6.9MM
Jason Hammel - $6.5MM
Matt Wieters - $4.6MM
Chris Davis - $3.3MM
Darren O'Day - $2.2MM
Robert Andino - $1.8MM
Tommy Hunter - $1.8MM
Nolan Reimold - $1MM
Brian Matusz - $1MM
Taylor Teagarden - $800K
Omar Quintanilla - $800K
Troy Patton - $800K
Steve Pearce - $700K
Lew Ford - $600K

Agree? Disagree? Do you believe that some of these players will be non tendered? Please explain WHY?

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/p ... leYkFzC.99
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: MLB Trade Rumors Projects Orioles' Arbitration Salaries

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » October 29th, 2012, 1:28 pm

MLB Trade Rumors usually is about spot on with the projections.
On your list I would Non-Tender the following:

Robert Andino because I do not see at a cost of $1.4 to 2.0 Million that he would bring any more to the table than would Ryan Flaherty at a cost of less than .5 Million. Andino has no options remaining and will either have to be placed on the DL or DFA'd to get off the 25 Man Roster. Flaherty will have two Option Years remaining and gives the club more flexibility.

Omar Quintanilla because he has the very the same value as a AAA/AA player would have but they (the MiLB players)would be signed for half the cost. He, Omar, also is out of options and would plug up the 25 man roster.

Steve Pearce and Lew Ford would take roster space that would be better served if given/kept with L.J. Hoes and Xavier Avery. Pearce alone would cost as much per year as Hoes and Avery and would have very little upside.

I am a little reserved about Teagarden. We need a backup catcher to give Wieters more days off in 2013 than he had in 2012 but could a journeyman minor league catcher do as well as Taylor has and again at a reduced cost. I think I would resign Taylor Teagarden for less than $1 million but have more depth signed at Norfolk just in case.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 1:41 pm

thezeroes wrote:On your list I would Non-Tender the following:

Robert Andino because I do not see at a cost of $1.4 to 2.0 Million that he would bring any more to the table than would Ryan Flaherty at a cost of less than .5 Million. Andino has no options remaining and will either have to be placed on the DL or DFA'd to get off the 25 Man Roster. Flaherty will have two Option Years remaining and gives the club more flexibility.

I agree with everything you say about Andino and Flaherty, but IMO Andino has a much better glove at this point. Of course, Flaherty can close that ground if he works his tail off this winter. If I were him I would park myself on Mike Bordick's front step and not go home until my game had taken a great leap forward.

I could see the decision on whether to tender Andino as a real indicator of the team's confidence in a Brian Robert's return.

thezeroes wrote:Omar Quintanilla because he has the very the same value as a AAA/AA player would have but they (the MiLB players)would be signed for half the cost. He, Omar, also is out of options and would plug up the 25 man roster.

Agreed. No reason to keep him.

thezeroes wrote:Steve Pearce and Lew Ford would take roster space that would be better served if given/kept with L.J. Hoes and Xavier Avery. Pearce alone would cost as much per year as Hoes and Avery and would have very little upside.

I evaluate Pearce differently. His splits against LHs are good enough that I would be willing to platoon him along with McLouth in LF. If Pearce is willing to sign a minor league contract with a big bonus (200K+ ?) and McLouth would sign for something reasonable (2M+) I think their production and defense would be the most cost efficient above league average we could get in this market.

thezeroes wrote:I am a little reserved about Teagarden. We need a backup catcher to give Wieters more days off in 2013 than he had in 2012 but could a journeyman minor league catcher do as well as Taylor has and again at a reduced cost. I think I would resign Taylor Teagarden for less than $1 million but have more depth signed at Norfolk just in case.

I would tender Teagarden. Have you looked at the market for back up Cs? It ain't pretty and Teagarden may be the best defender of the group. I'll always default to defense.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » October 29th, 2012, 1:52 pm

That's a lot of players. The five I cut bait with would be Ford, Q, Andino, Pearce and Patton to save money 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 2:09 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:That's a lot of players. The five I cut bait with would be Ford, Q, Andino, Pearce and Patton to save money 8-)

PATTON? ARE YOU SERIOUS???? PATTON??????
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by thezeroes » October 29th, 2012, 2:14 pm

ofahn wrote:

I think he is still holding a grudge over the DUI thingy from two years back. I had the same reaction as you did. Until he gets to the $5 Million mark, Troy Patton is affordable for the role he is used in. He can be effective on both left and right handed batters, can go multiple innings and does not seem to rattle when he gets into trouble.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » October 29th, 2012, 2:14 pm

ofahn wrote:

Yes yes LOL ...someone has to go to keep the basic core in place. I think you will see this happening. Besides I like the idea of Matusz in the backend of the bullpen over Patton anyways. You would still have JJ, Strop and O'Day - very formidable. I would then add a young power arm through Rule V or maybe look internally 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » October 29th, 2012, 2:25 pm

I'd buy out Reynolds and and then non-tender him (pretty sure how that situation works.) I'd non-tender Andino and sign somebody like Jeff K or Jeff B. No need for Quintanilla. No need for both Pearce and Ford. I can see one of them coming back. No way Patton is non-tendered.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 2:31 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:someone has to go to keep the basic core in place. I think you will see this happening.

WHY???? Except for Tillman all of our young SP still have options. There's no reason that we would HAVE TO cut ANYONE to keep our bullpen intact. Considering the complete lack of young quality LH relievers on the free agent market this winter, if Patton were to be released he would be jumped on faster than a large breasted nympho thrown into a max security prison.

birdwatcher55 wrote:Besides I like the idea of Matusz in the backend of the bullpen over Patton anyways. You would still have JJ, Strop and O'Day - very formidable.

Why not allow Matusz to start at AAA and finish his development as a SP? We don't need him in the bullpen and he could matriculate as high as a #2 SP.

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would then add a young power arm through Rule V or maybe look internally 8-)

You DO understand that we pick 24th this year, right? The only talent waiting for us at that point will be an overage over weight beer vendor with a bad hair piece. If we find any power arms this winter it will be through good scouting followed by a minor league signing.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 29th, 2012, 2:31 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:That's a lot of players. The five I cut bait with would be Ford, Q, Andino, Pearce and Patton to save money 8-)

You do realize Patton had a 3.26 FIP last year, right? He had the same FIP as Jim Johnson, and can go multiple innings. Patton has lots of value on the trade market. All 29 other teams would laugh at the Orioles if they non-tendered him.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?p ... &sort=15,a
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #11 by Matt P » October 29th, 2012, 5:07 pm

ofahn wrote:Mark Reynolds - $8.9MM (arbitration eligible if $11MM club option is declined)
Jim Johnson - $6.9MM
Robert Andino - $1.8MM
Omar Quintanilla - $800K
Lew Ford - $600K
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/p ... leYkFzC.99

These are the guys I would like to see either extended, traded, or non-tendered.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #12 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 10:18 am

ofahn wrote:

WHY???? Except for Tillman all of our young SP still have options. There's no reason that we would HAVE TO cut ANYONE to keep our bullpen intact. Considering the complete lack of young quality LH relievers on the free agent market this winter, if Patton were to be released he would be jumped on faster than a large breasted nympho thrown into a max security prison.
You're ragging on beer vendors :lol: Seriously I still like the Rule V route or internal promotion 8-)

Why not allow Matusz to start at AAA and finish his development as a SP? We don't need him in the bullpen and he could matriculate as high as a #2 SP.

You DO understand that we pick 24th this year, right? The only talent waiting for us at that point will be an overage over weight beer vendor with a bad hair piece. If we find any power arms this winter it will be through good scouting followed by a minor league signing.
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 10:19 am

I think you are overvaluing Patton. I think the return would only be marginal. Just my two cents 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles