Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Rick Peterson interviewing with RedSox

Rick Peterson interviewing with RedSox

PostPost #1 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 27th, 2012, 10:44 am

From Roch on MASN:
NOTE: The Orioles have granted permission for the Red Sox to interview Rick Peterson for the position of pitching coach.

Peterson, who completed his first season as the Orioles' director of pitching development, formerly served as pitching coach for the Athletics, Mets and Brewers.

The Boston Globe first reported that the Red Sox would interview Peterson.

Peterson taking that job would be catastrophic.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Rick Peterson interviewing with RedSox

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » October 27th, 2012, 5:49 pm

I am pretty sure if he was that irreplaceable they would've offered him an enticing contract. Maybe there is an offer on the table for him if he doesn't like Boston's offer (If there is one).

I like him. I want him back. However I will suggest that DD has contingency plans or other plans entirely if Peterson wants out.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 27th, 2012, 8:47 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I am pretty sure if he was that irreplaceable they would've offered him an enticing contract.

I'm not so sure about that. Peter Angelos has never been on the cutting edge when it comes to thinking outside the box or setting precedent. The idea of signing a MINOR LEAGUE instructor to a long term contract at a MAJOR LEAGUE salary would not make the rest of baseball happy, so I doubt the trend will start in Baltimore.

If DD has earned PA's trust and DD thinks it's a good idea then it MIGHT get done if Rick Peterson is willing to forgo the first class treatment provided to members of a ML team. He's been fired from three other ML coaching jobs so maybe the security of a five year contract would cause him to stay. The team could even put an opt out clause for one or two PARTICULAR jobs being offered. It could also expand that clause to include the opportunity to leave if our pitching coach job comes open and he's not offered it.

The only real strength we have in our farm system is SP. We NEED to make sure that it's developed properly. Paying Peterson a ML wage to give us a stream of successful young pitching would be a BARGAIN when you consider what it costs to sign even a journeyman veteran SP. This SHOULD be a no-brainer.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » October 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I am pretty sure if he was that irreplaceable they would've offered him an enticing contract. Maybe there is an offer on the table for him if he doesn't like Boston's offer (If there is one).

I like him. I want him back. However I will suggest that DD has contingency plans or other plans entirely if Peterson wants out.

I would agree 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Baltimore Orioles