Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Current List Of Free Agents

The Current List Of Free Agents

PostPost #1 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 10:14 am

With the end of the World Series yesterday any player with at least six years of service time and not under contract or option to a ML team automatically becomes a "free" agent. MLB Trade Rumors has posted a list of those players currently available. This list will change (for a while, grow) as options are declined and as some player are non tendered. I would suggest you review it to determine which players are still available.

Here is the link.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/04/2 ... gents.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: The Current List Of Free Agents

PostPost #2 by osforlife » October 29th, 2012, 10:56 am

I could see us interested in a lefty reliever, a starting pitcher, right-handed bench complement, and depth signings FA wise.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 11:16 am

osforlife wrote:I could see us interested in a lefty reliever ... FA wise.

I'm curious as to why you see the need for a LH reliever. While I don't expect Wada to be ML ready until shortly after Opening Day I see him as the LH long reliever out of the bullpen and Patton as the short man. Anybody after that should be a lock down inning or two guy or they will be a drag on a seven man bullpen. Whom do you see on that list that would sign a one year contract and would fit the role I described? If we add another LH reliever I could see it being another minor league signing like Pomerantz so we would have the time to see what they could do AND have at least one option on them.

Do you agree?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by osforlife » October 29th, 2012, 2:33 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'm curious as to why you see the need for a LH reliever. While I don't expect Wada to be ML ready until shortly after Opening Day I see him as the LH long reliever out of the bullpen and Patton as the short man. Anybody after that should be a lock down inning or two guy or they will be a drag on a seven man bullpen. Whom do you see on that list that would sign a one year contract and would fit the role I described? If we add another LH reliever I could see it being another minor league signing like Pomerantz so we would have the time to see what they could do AND have at least one option on them.
Do you agree?

Yes not somebody that would be a lock to make the Opening Day roster. Wada may not be ready for Opening Day and Buck likes two LHP's in the pen doesn't he? Somebody like Alex Hinshaw; minor league deal lefty relievers. To stur up competiion and give us a little more depth there.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 2:34 pm

osforlife wrote:Somebody like Alex Hinshaw; minor league deal lefty relievers. To stur up competiion and give us a little more depth there.

If you're suggesting a minor league signing then we're both on the same page.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » October 29th, 2012, 2:36 pm

ofahn wrote:
If you're suggesting a minor league signing then we're both on the same page.

yes, minor league deal. He's got great K/9. Bad BB/9. Maybe Petersen can help him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 2:37 pm

osforlife wrote:Maybe Petersen can help him.

I'm hoping Peterson will be helping US next year.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » October 29th, 2012, 2:44 pm

ofahn wrote:
I'm hoping Peterson will be helping US next year.

hopefully
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Matt P » October 29th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Sign every available minor league free agent IMO. A few are bound to work out.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #10 by ofahn » October 29th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Matt P wrote:Sign every available minor league free agent IMO. A few are bound to work out.

It would probably be one of the most cost efficient ways of building a team. The difficulty comes when players recognize that they're being signed as a fifth or sixth choice for a specific position and decide they have a better chance of getting back to the ML with another team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2012, 6:23 pm

osforlife wrote:I could see us interested in a lefty reliever

This comment seemed a little odd when I said it but DD has done exactly what I wanted him to do. Buck wasn't comfortable all year with just one lefty, Patton, coming out of the pen. McFarland and Schlereth were nice additions.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Around the Majors