Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

How about Hultzen?

How about Hultzen?

PostPost #1 by docjj » March 20th, 2011, 9:04 pm

Unbelievable start to his season. Flat out unhittable. I've heard rumors that he's added some velocity and his 88-90 fastball has now crept up into the 92-94 range. He's certainly as "safe" as they come. May not have the ceiling of a guy like Cole, but very safe.

Is #4 too high to consider him?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: How about Hultzen?

PostPost #2 by Don » March 20th, 2011, 10:08 pm

I will still take Bradley over Danny at this point. I simply do not see top of the rotation from the Virginia native. After watching both pitch, I think Bradley could be a dominate ace left hander, but most likely a number 2. I think Hultzen is a mid-rotation that could creep up higher.

He is coming close to the top ten players, but I think he is the third college pitcher on my board at this time and cannot vault either Bradley or Cole. I would take a stab at Archie from the high school ranks of my third overall pitcher.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by docjj » March 21st, 2011, 8:35 am

Any idea why Purke and Jungmann seem to have fallen? They were among the top before the year started. How do you feel about Barnes? I hear his name a lot.

Also Georgia Tech has another starter besides Bradley- Mark Pope who's numbers are just incredible. You don't hear his name much...do you know anything about him?
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #4 by Don » March 21st, 2011, 9:40 am

Pope is not sitting in the position that he has to face the best of other squads. I do not joke that I could throw a shutout against Maryland at my age. He is solid, but I get the funny feeling of back of the rotation. He makes a great case for the early rounds and can climb higher as he continues. Bradley is simply un-hittable with .135 opposition batting average, but Pope is not too far behind.

Purke is dropping like a Led Zepplin because of his arm action. He is 100% arm and no lower body follow through. You have to wonder if he will have the same stuff with tweaked mechanics. You can keep him in his current framework and cross your fingers that he never has an arm, elbow, shoulder injury.

Taylor crosses his body and mechnically it is not that clean. It is not eye popping bad as Purke, but it not good enough to think he will experiance troubles down the road with command or injury concerns.

Barnes is simply projectable because of his size,power and command. He is a bit more raw in the makeup department, but I think he can project out to three major league pitchers, which is why you see him as a high ranked college pitcher. I watched him in the cape action last season. He produces a small chicken wing in both arms and his arm tweaks back towards first a bit too much that could be a cause for concern. He is not polished, but you see the size, command, etc... and you can project him rather well.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by BuckMagic » March 21st, 2011, 5:58 pm

Tweet from Keith Law a few days ago (link):

For what it's worth - at this point in the calendar, not much - I've now heard twice that Arizona (picking 3rd) loves UVA LHP Danny Hultzen.

May not even drop to the O's...
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by allstar1579 » March 21st, 2011, 7:37 pm

Hultzen is going to ARZ, barring some crazy injury or a complete falling apart. If he keeps improving his stock they will take him at 3, if he stays where he is and still looks to be a 10-12 range pick they will take him at 7 with a pre-draft agreed deal.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to MLB Draft