Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should the Orioles re-sign Joe Saunders?

Should the Orioles re-sign Joe Saunders?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 24th, 2012, 9:58 am

Good read over at BDTY: http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=3875

Even though the Orioles appear to have a good chunk of their starting rotation locked up heading into 2013. With Jason Hammel (if healthy), Wei-Yin Chen, Chris Tillman, and Miguel Gonzalez all having seemingly locked up their respective spots – is there room in the rotation for Saunders to be re-signed?

Maybe the better question to be asked is whether the team should leave that fifth spot in the rotation open in case Zach Britton, Dylan Bundy, or even Brian Matusz seriously impresses manager Buck Showalter out of spring training?

If we can get him on a one or two year deal I would possibly be okay with it depending on the money.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Should the Orioles re-sign Joe Saunders?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 24th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Good read over at BDTY: http://burningdowntheyard.com/?p=3875

If we can get him on a one or two year deal I would possibly be okay with it depending on the money.

IMO we should try to sign him to a reasonable one year deal. Any additional years should be a vested option.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 24th, 2012, 4:49 pm

ofahn wrote:
IMO we should try to sign him to a reasonable one year deal. Any additional years should be a vested option.

A one year deal would be ideal but I just don't see it happening.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 24th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:A one year deal would be ideal but I just don't see it happening.

If Saunders really like playing close to home on a winner, then a fair one year contract with a reasonable vesting clause would entice him. This is a win-win for both parties. Even if the Orioles feel they have better options as starters in 2014 they could use him as a LH reliever or trade him. A veteran LH SP always has trade value.

At this stage in his career most players want to be on a winner. If Saunders is willing to move to a team that's a questionable contender for just money then he's not the kind of player I want on my team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by rudyrooster » October 24th, 2012, 6:14 pm

Yes. You can never have too much good pitching. Try to get him at a hometown discount.
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » October 24th, 2012, 7:53 pm

No. There is enough depth in the organization to keep the 5th spot open. And then you have Bundy and Gausman who could blow through AA and make a push for a ML invite before September.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 24th, 2012, 9:15 pm

Rising O's wrote:No. There is enough depth in the organization to keep the 5th spot open. And then you have Bundy and Gausman who could blow through AA and make a push for a ML invite before September.

Both of those prospects will not have enough innings left to be a part of a playoff push or the post season as SPs. IMO we better off not counting on them IN ANY CAPACITY next season and allow them to finish their development. Let's get them ready to pitch 180+ innings in 2014.

I hope they'll resign Saunders to a one year contract. Let's finish the development on ALL of our young SPs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Matt P » October 24th, 2012, 10:01 pm

ofahn wrote:
Both of those prospects will not have enough innings left to be a part of a playoff push or the post season as SPs. IMO we better off not counting on them IN ANY CAPACITY next season and allow them to finish their development. Let's get them ready to pitch 180+ innings in 2014.

I hope they'll resign Saunders to a one year contract. Let's finish the development on ALL of our young SPs.

If they start on a plan similar to what Bundy did this year they will.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 25th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Matt P wrote:If they start on a plan similar to what Bundy did this year they will.

Maybe not.

Pitching one time through the order (three innings) isn't going to advance their development. Both of them have good enough FBs that, combined with a change up (Bundy's cutter), they could make one turn through a ML lineup right now. Both of them need to adapt to a five man rotation and improve their secondary pitches. That comes from going through a lineup two or three times; which means going six plus innings a start.

A full minor league season is about twenty five starts. Times six plus innings means that they hit their innings limits about Labor Day. If the team decides they could pitch an inning at a time through September (and, hopefully October) then they could be stretched another ten or so innings.

I just think that we would be hurting their development by bringing them up too early and wasting an opportunity to add a known quality SP like Saunders. Of course, if Bundy or Gausman PROVE that they're ML ready before then we can always trade someone. SP is GOLD in July and should get us a reasonable return.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by LA Detective » October 25th, 2012, 2:08 pm

I say yes to one year if we trade any of our SP depth.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 25th, 2012, 3:38 pm

LA Detective wrote:I say yes to one year if we trade any of our SP depth.

I would sign him to a one year contract regardless. I think that at least Bundy, Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton should start the season at Norfolk, and the team should go into the winter think that way so we don't pass up the opportunity to add a quality veteran SP or two. If we trade some of the kids to obtain an important piece then it would not affect the rotation we expect to have on Opening Day.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by osforlife » October 25th, 2012, 4:53 pm

I expect us to sign a mid-rotation starter like Saunders, might not be him though.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » October 25th, 2012, 7:09 pm

To me it's all about "How much tread is left on a tire"

I like the guy and would welcome back a veteran presence. However, is he really willing to be a 6th or 7th option in the rotation? Is he going to tolerate being in AAA if things do not unfold his way?

I honestly think he can get more money and a more meaningful role elsewhere.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #14 by ofahn » October 25th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:is he really willing to be a 6th or 7th option in the rotation?

Why would you see him as 6th or 7th? He pitched like a #3 or 4 SP when the games really counted.

Old Sneakers wrote:Is he going to tolerate being in AAA if things do not unfold his way?

With his service time he would not be obligated to go to the minors without giving his position. If some of kids are ready to move up from AAA then Saunders could be traded. If he loses it he would be released. It would only be money. If we needed to trade for a SP like him in July it would cost us talent we don't have to spare. I see signing him to be our #5 SP as a no lose proposition.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » October 25th, 2012, 11:48 pm

I am trying to look at this from Joe Saunder's perspective...

Obviously I do not know how the winter meetings will shake out but as is now the team has Jake Arrieta, Jason Hammel, Wei-Yin Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, Chris Tillman, Zach Britton, Tommy Hunter, Dana Eveland and yes even Steve Johnson that it can consider as options for the 2013 rotation. I count nine bodies right there.

OK Britton, Matusz are Lefties (under-performing or not), still young and way fewer innings pitched than Saunders. Come June Saunders will be 32. Not a death sentence or end of his career age. However, even most of the really good ones decline at that point. I keep thinking that he is going to want a nice payday. Maybe the Orioles will try, but I suspect that they won't. I do consider Joe Saunders a legit #3 or #4 SP certainly. But for how long? The man is going to get attractive offers on the open market and do you want to lock up money for 3-4 years to keep him? I just do not see it happening.

Yes, he could end up rejecting a minor league assignment. However, don't you think that he and his family would prefer to not be a part of an uncertain logjam in the Orioles rotation?

Jake Arrieta and Brian Matusz have been the team's biggest disappointments. However, I do not see the team parting with both unless the return in a trade is something really significant. By the time the winter meetings take place I think he will already have signed elsewhere. If these two were not part of the equation it might not be such a tough sell to this or any similar player. However, here it is and they do play a part in it.

*Last Note on the subject of depth*
Last season the team used 12 different starting pitchers. There is a solid chance the team could actually surpass that number next season (I really hope its a fewer though). While depth is great for the team it does somewhat hurt them when it comes to signing free agents.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles