Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

FanGraphs WAR or Baseball Reference WAR?

FanGraphs WAR or Baseball Reference WAR?

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 25th, 2012, 10:44 am

Which do you prefer and why?

I originally had this conversation with Lance on Twitter (@burndowntheyard) but wanted some input here.

I use fWAR more often but I think both are good for different things. I still can't decide whether I think ERA or FIP is better for pitching WAR.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: FanGraphs WAR or Baseball Reference WAR?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 25th, 2012, 11:01 am

Would consider doing a podcast explaining how WAR is derived and how it's used to evaluate a player?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by OriolesRedskins28 » October 25th, 2012, 1:21 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I still can't decide whether I think ERA or FIP is better for pitching WAR.

They should take the average of each pitcher's ERA and FIP so both are incorporated.

I prefer fangraphs simply because I like their site more (much more in depth stats). I do wish fangraphs used Defensive Runs Saved (plus/minus) to calculate the fielding aspect of WAR rather than UZR though.

Getting off topic has anyone checked the fangraphs numbers on Mike Trout? His season was absurd! 10.0 WAR! 12 "BaseRunning Runs" which is unheard of and he had 23 Defensive Runs Saved in center field! Unbelievable... I know Cabrera won the triple crown but sheesh Mike Trout had one incredible season and he did it as a rookie.
OriolesRedskins28
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #4 by A_K » October 25th, 2012, 3:01 pm

For pitchers I prefer Fangraphs. For batters I prefer BRef, because of the defensive component. Mixing and matching however introduces an apples-orange problem, however, because they set different baselines for what constitutes a replacement-level player. So, forced to choose, I'll take Fangraphs.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

Return to Baltimore Orioles