Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Drafting 24th!!!

Orioles Drafting 24th!!!

PostPost #1 by birdwatcher55 » October 20th, 2012, 9:08 am

Who do you like in that slot??? 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Orioles Drafting 24th!!!

PostPost #2 by ofahn » October 20th, 2012, 10:16 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Who do you like in that slot??? 8-)

It might be JUST a bit early to start thinking about which player would the best choice for the draft.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by Matt P » October 21st, 2012, 1:14 am

Here's a quote from Keith Law on the 2013 draft from back in August.

The 2013 draft class is shaping up to be the weakest in years, thanks largely to the end of a long run of strong groups of high school arms. The strengths of this upcoming class right now are college pitching, especially the kind of second-tier arms who typically go in the middle to back of the first round, and high school catching, although several of those kids are committed to major Division I programs and might be tough signs.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » October 21st, 2012, 6:13 pm

With money constraints most drafts will be college heavy from this point on. At least with a college senior they are running out of options and are more likely to sign within the allotted money.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 6:54 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:With money constraints most drafts will be college heavy from this point on. At least with a college senior they are running out of options and are more likely to sign within the allotted money.

I honestly thought the same thing. I expected that a large number of the HS kids wouldn't sign for slot money. I was surprised when the only RD 1 player to NOT sign was Appel who was a college player. Boras apparently told him that the 2013 class looked week and that he get the money he wanted if he gambled and waited.

Perhaps the dynamic will be this; HS kids will figure out what they REALLY want to sign and, if they fall so far below that spot that they know they won't get that kind of money, they'll just go to college. I also think that any HS kid that really wants to start their pro career will avoid agents like Boras and try to hire the kind of agents that will work to get them good money AND signed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » October 22nd, 2012, 5:48 am

Wanted to add that even though we are drafting much later. We will have a choices each round and the lottery pick following round 1. It appears very unlikely we end up with any special talents like we have the past three years. We do have a pretty good shot at bolstering our minor league system with decent talent. Basically unless we trade away that lottery choice our scouting department will get a chance to shine.

IMO this is a good thing as once you get past Bundy and Gausmann the talent level plummets. Yes, I know Jonathan Schoop looks solid so far. However, it's still a huge drop off.

The team should be able to acquire a number of decent prospects that make that silly top ten look a little more presentable.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 6:51 am

Old Sneakers wrote:It appears very unlikely we end up with any special talents like we have the past three years.

In 1990 we drafted Mike Mussina with the 20th pick of the first round. The talent will be there. We just need some GREAT scouting and a little luck.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » October 24th, 2012, 9:04 pm

A fun pick for me would be Karsten Whitson. He was the guy I would have taken after Manny Machado. He had some issues last year and an improved season will move him out of our range, if he's not out of it already.

The O's need some hitting in the organization...desperately.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 24th, 2012, 9:20 pm

My guess is that the list of best picks will be VERY different in June than it is now. This might be a good year to take a risk on a high ceiling HS position player. As Rising O's pointed out, we could certainly use an impact bat and that probably won't be waiting for us at 24 as a college player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » October 25th, 2012, 2:51 pm

Rising O's wrote:

The O's need some hitting in the organization...desperately.

I almost agree here.

We are short on positional talent. However, I would bet that if it's reasonably close in value the team would prefer to pick up a Left handed starting pitcher first then see about other needs.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 25th, 2012, 3:46 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
I almost agree here.

We are short on positional talent. However, I would bet that if it's reasonably close in value the team would prefer to pick up a Left handed starting pitcher first then see about other needs.

I will agree that you can NEVER have too much SP; HOWEVER, I see that as the ONLY strength of the farm system. Depending on where Schoop and Machado end up playing we have no heir apparent at either 2B, SS, or 3B; and Schoop is NOT a guarantee. We don't have a legitimate prospect at 1B nor a power hitter at any of the three OF positions. We don't have a legit prospect at C. That ain't good.

Perhaps players like Webb, Delmonico, Hoes, and Marin will step up and show that they're the future; and maybe they won't. IMO if the difference between two draft prospects this year is so thin you can't see between them then I would draft the position player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » October 25th, 2012, 11:51 pm

Honest, it's too early for this conversation. I mean we do not even have a reasonable "You've got to be kidding me" mock draft yet to compare value with. We will start feeding into that hype come February. I do hear what your saying though. Yes, we've needs littered everywhere and while pitching might be a farm system strength I still consider it relatively thin. As for the Positional needs, I would rank them always in this order SS, CF, 2B and C as they are the toughest positions to fill and develop.

As for corner infielders it isn't so bleak. When he's healthy you want to think the team might have something with Tyler Townsend but he's injured too often. Then it's Delmonico and Esposito and last year's choices could stick, we just don't know.

In the outfield, we have a couple guys that could easily stick as utility types, but so far seem to lack the power fans crave. L.J, Hoes being pretty close to making the team now. If he's durable, dependable in left and an on base machine. I will happily forget all about Nolan Reimold.

Now with 2B, SS and Catcher, I am in total agreement (I think) we need an infusion of talent. Yes, maybe Marin will stick and develop, but its way too early to say more than maybe. I agree with you, we need position players too.

But I will bet you a rep point a day for a week. That 2 of the top 3 choices the team has in next year's draft go to pitching.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » October 26th, 2012, 8:50 am

Old Sneakers wrote:As for corner infielders it isn't so bleak. When he's healthy you want to think the team might have something with Tyler Townsend but he's injured too often.

I no longer consider Tyler Townsend a legitimate prospect. His K/B rate was, at best, fringe and he's lost another year to injuries. He should have played this last season at AAA, but he finished at A+. That ain't good.

Old Sneakers wrote:In the outfield, we have a couple guys that could easily stick as utility types, but so far seem to lack the power fans crave. L.J, Hoes being pretty close to making the team now. If he's durable, dependable in left and an on base machine. I will happily forget all about Nolan Reimold.

Utility OFs don't win championships, impact run producing OFs with solid defensive skills do. We are horribly short of those.

I'm curious as to why you're willing to give up on Nolan Reimold. Clearly, he can't seem to stay healthy, but he may be the best pure hitter in the organization.

Old Sneakers wrote:But I will bet you a rep point a day for a week. That 2 of the top 3 choices the team has in next year's draft go to pitching.

That may happen and, if the pitchers are a CLEAR choice over the hitters we should pick them. If there's really no difference in the evaluation between a pitcher and a hitter I would like to see us choose some hitters.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Old Sneakers » October 26th, 2012, 8:54 am

I don't consider his skills in the outfield up to par. I don't consider his batting good enough to DH.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by ofahn » October 26th, 2012, 11:08 am

Old Sneakers wrote:I don't consider his skills in the outfield up to par. I don't consider his batting good enough to DH.

If you're referring to Reimold I would agree that his glove should not be in the OF; however, I strongly disagree with your evaluation of his bat. As I said, IMO he may be the best pure hitter in the organization.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to MLB Draft