Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Is Donnie Murphy A Potential Solution At 2B?

Re: Is Donnie Murphy A Potential Solution At 2B?

PostPost #16 by Matt P » October 21st, 2012, 1:06 am

ofahn wrote:
Hence, the words POTENTIAL SOLUTION. Just signing him would give Andino a motive to be better prepared coming into ST.

There is no potential that he is a solution to 2B.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #17 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 8:21 am

Matt P wrote:
There is no potential that he is a solution to 2B.

Opinions vary.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by thezeroes » October 21st, 2012, 3:29 pm

osforlife wrote:Neither does Ryan Adams, and he would still be our best option at second base. Yet, management seems content to not even give him a chance. It seems as if I am the only one anywhere that still considers him an option for the future. Fielding percentage wise, Baker has been good at second base in his career.

I do believe that Ryan Adams may be a 7 Year MiLB free agent this winter. He also was Designated once for assignment by the Orioles so if resigned and placed on the Forty he would become a Free agent if DFA'd again.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #19 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 4:27 pm

thezeroes wrote:
I do believe that Ryan Adams may be a 7 Year MiLB free agent this winter. He also was Designated once for assignment by the Orioles so if resigned and placed on the Forty he would become a Free agent if DFA'd again.

The bat MIGHT play to ML levels, but he has yet to show that the glove will. I find this surprising because he's KNOWN for at least three years that FO questioned his defense yet he hasn't (or can't) raised his game to the point that the team would be comfortable with him at 2B.

If he leaves, he leaves.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by osforlife » October 21st, 2012, 7:13 pm

ofahn wrote:
The bat MIGHT play to ML levels, but he has yet to show that the glove will. I find this surprising because he's KNOWN for at least three years that FO questioned his defense yet he hasn't (or can't) raised his game to the point that the team would be comfortable with him at 2B.

If he leaves, he leaves.

I know fielding percentage isn't the greatest fielding stat, but from 2008 to 2011 his fielding percetange got better every year. Some of that has to do with the better quality of fields as he goes through the minors but he could have been getting better. It was a small sample size, but he hit and fielded well with a...hernia injury or something. 2012 was a lost season both in the field, and at the plate and was derailed by a thumb injury(pretty sure). I have little doubts that Adams would hit better than Andino.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #21 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 7:32 pm

osforlife wrote:I have little doubts that Adams would hit better than Andino.

No doubt, but IMO 2B is a glove first position.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by osforlife » October 22nd, 2012, 4:40 pm

ofahn wrote:
No doubt, but IMO 2B is a glove first position.

Alright say McLouth plays left, machado is at third, hardy is at ***SS, reynolds is at first. Adams would be the only average defender on the field. We could sacrifice it.
Last edited by osforlife on October 22nd, 2012, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 5:30 pm

osforlife wrote:Alright say McLouth plays left, machado is at third, hardy is at second, reynolds is at first. Adams would be the only average defender on the field. We could sacrifice it.

I can see how you could feel that way, but I don't agree. This team became MUCH better when our defense significantly improved. Tampa had some of the best pitching in the league but their defense was really bad. They didn't go to the playoffs for the first time in years. Neither of those facts are a coincidence.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by osforlife » October 22nd, 2012, 7:58 pm

ofahn wrote:
I can see how you could feel that way, but I don't agree. This team became MUCH better when our defense significantly improved. Tampa had some of the best pitching in the league but their defense was really bad. They didn't go to the playoffs for the first time in years. Neither of those facts are a coincidence.

opinions vary, I'd rather have a .270/10 with average defense (Adams) than .230/5 with above average defense (Andino).
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 8:04 pm

osforlife wrote:opinions vary, I'd rather have a .270/10 with average defense (Adams) than .230/5 with above average defense (Andino).

Why do you see that small additional amount of production to be more important than run reduction?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by Matt P » October 22nd, 2012, 9:13 pm

There is no guarantee Adams would even be an average defender. Andino wasn't even that great of a defender at 2B.

I'd rather see Flaherty full time at 2B than either of them.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 10:19 pm

Matt P wrote:I'd rather see Flaherty full time at 2B than either of them.

So would I.

I just hope all of the parties are honest with themselves about whether Brian Roberts is REALLY ready to play 2B at a ML level on Opening Day. If the answer is "no", then we need to take hard looks at other options.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #28 by osforlife » October 23rd, 2012, 4:07 pm

Okay, so .270/10 with below average D against .230/5 with average D. I see that being more effective. If we can't have a defensive stud there, I'd take somebody that can hit.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Matt P » October 23rd, 2012, 7:19 pm

osforlife wrote:Okay, so .270/10 with below average D against .230/5 with average D. I see that being more effective. If we can't have a defensive stud there, I'd take somebody that can hit.

Just out of curiosity have you ever seen Adams play or are you just basing your opinions on how he would play based on his minor league statistics?
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #30 by ofahn » October 23rd, 2012, 8:25 pm

osforlife wrote:Okay, so .270/10 with below average D against .230/5 with average D. I see that being more effective. If we can't have a defensive stud there, I'd take somebody that can hit.

I am DEFINITELY NOT an Andino fan, but I would rate his defense as above average. IMO Flaherty is not as good but I see him as having the ability to become Andino's equal if he's willing to really work at it. I also see Flaherty's bay as having a much bigger upside.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles