Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Brian Matusz Permanent Bullpen Addition

Re: Brian Matusz Permanent Bullpen Addition

PostPost #16 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 4:32 pm

LA Detective wrote:JJ,Strop, Patton,Oday,Hunter, and then several good candidates including Ayala and Wada when ready..

I see the Orioles trading Ayala. I see the bullpen as:

Steve Johnson (RH) and Wada (LH) (Pomerantz if he's not ready coming out of ST) as the long men and spot starters
Patton, O'Day, Hunter, Strop, and Jim Johnson as the short men. There just isn't a place for Ayala, and Hunter is a MUCH better choice.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by osforlife » October 21st, 2012, 7:17 pm

ofahn wrote:
I see the Orioles trading Ayala. I see the bullpen as:

Steve Johnson (RH) and Wada (LH) (Pomerantz if he's not ready coming out of ST) as the long men and spot starters
Patton, O'Day, Hunter, Strop, and Jim Johnson as the short men. There just isn't a place for Ayala, and Hunter is a MUCH better choice.

I could see the O's keeping him for depth. Wada may not be ready and Pomeranz may need some tuning up before heading back to the majors. Last year was an exception, but everybody knows how fast a bullpen can deplete.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 7:31 pm

osforlife wrote:I could see the O's keeping him for depth. Wada may not be ready and Pomeranz may need some tuning up before heading back to the majors.

Other than an injury, that's the only way I see him staying. We don't need an eight man bullpen.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by osforlife » October 22nd, 2012, 4:38 pm

ofahn wrote:
Other than an injury, that's the only way I see him staying. We don't need an eight man bullpen.

Yes but we don't stay with an the same 7 guys all year. I actually see them bringing him back.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #20 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 5:31 pm

osforlife wrote:Yes but we don't stay with an the same 7 guys all year. I actually see them bringing him back.

OK, which RH would then send to the minors?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by osforlife » October 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

ofahn wrote:
OK, which RH would then send to the minors?

When do we have to pick up/decline his option? Are we allowed to send him to the minors? Well, hopefully, the situation works itself out. Its a good problem to have. We can always pick up the option and trade him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 8:07 pm

osforlife wrote:When do we have to pick up/decline his option?

I don't know the specific dates, but it's probably shortly after the end of the World Series.

osforlife wrote:Are we allowed to send him to the minors?

I believe his service time would allow him to reject a demotion.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Matt P » October 22nd, 2012, 9:16 pm

ofahn wrote:

I don't know the specific dates, but it's probably shortly after the end of the World Series.

I believe his service time would allow him to reject a demotion.

It's like 3 or 5 days depending on the contract from what I have read.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #24 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 12:16 pm

The bullpen looks very strong again. I would LOVE to see Matusz return to his shutdown role. If Matusz is pounding the zone, that makes for a devastating bullpen 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #25 by ofahn » October 30th, 2012, 12:45 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:The bullpen looks very strong again. I would LOVE to see Matusz return to his shutdown role. If Matusz is pounding the zone, that makes for a devastating bullpen 8-)

Except that we don't NEED him in the bullpen (unless we COMPLETELY lose our minds and release Patton) and intend on having him return to Norfolk to finish his development as a SP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by birdwatcher55 » October 30th, 2012, 3:05 pm

ofahn wrote:
Except that we don't NEED him in the bullpen (unless we COMPLETELY lose our minds and release Patton) and intend on having him return to Norfolk to finish his development as a SP.

I would scrap this starting pitcher idea with Matusz. He is not cut out to be a starter but he would make one helluva late inning guy. I think too many people are in love with this idea that he is going to be a big time starter. I just don't see it happening. The guy has found a home and his presence there makes this bullpen absolutely devestating - with or without Patton 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 30th, 2012, 3:21 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I would scrap this starting pitcher idea with Matusz. He is not cut out to be a starter but he would make one helluva late inning guy. I think too many people are in love with this idea that he is going to be a big time starter. I just don't see it happening. The guy has found a home and his presence there makes this bullpen absolutely devestating - with or without Patton 8-)

Matusz has already pitched a FULL season in the majors as a starter and was very successful. He's proven he can succeed as a starter, no? Now he has confidence and his stuff looks crisp again.

Why are you so against giving him another shot at starting? If he struggles, move him back to the bullpen.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #28 by birdwatcher55 » October 31st, 2012, 6:47 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Matusz has already pitched a FULL season in the majors as a starter and was very successful. He's proven he can succeed as a starter, no? Now he has confidence and his stuff looks crisp again.
Why are you so against giving him another shot at starting? If he struggles, move him back to the bullpen.

I don't think he has the mental toughness and stamina to be a starter. But as a spot reliever, he is totally lights out. Just my two cents 8-) 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 31st, 2012, 6:48 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:

I don't think he has the mental toughness and stamina to be a starter. But as a spot reliever, he is totally lights out. Just my two cents 8-) 8-)

Why do you say that? His best starting pitching came towards the end of the season.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #30 by Matt P » October 31st, 2012, 9:47 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Matusz has already pitched a FULL season in the majors as a starter and was very successful. He's proven he can succeed as a starter, no? Now he has confidence and his stuff looks crisp again.

He's never pitched a full season with an ERA under 4.30 as a starter. Not sure how a 4.30 ERA is "very successful". He did have a very successful finish to his 2010 season but not a full season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles