Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles have interest in Shohei Otani

Orioles have interest in Shohei Otani

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 20th, 2012, 12:14 am

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/s ... n-mlb.html

OCTOBER 19TH: Otani is set to decide between playing in MLB and staying in Japan on Monday, according to a report from Sanspo (Japanese link) passed along by Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker (via Twitter).

OCTOBER 11TH: High school pitcher Shohei Otani, 18, is being courted by every NPB team and at least three Major League teams, reports WEEI.com's Alex Speier. The Red Sox, Dodgers and Rangers have all sent representatives to Japan to meet with Otani, and Gerry Fraley of the Dallas Morning News notes that the Orioles also have interest in the right-hander.

Don wrote up a report for Bullpen Banter:
Shohei Otani currently sits 6’4″ and roughly 190 pounds. He is a tall, long limb frame that could add another inch or two. Nice lower half development, good development through the hips, wiry in upper torso. He throws 93-97 mph and can reach back to 99 mph. He flashes some good bite on his power curve/slider that sits in the mid 85-87 mph. He has the ability to pull on the string with good hand side fade on the change up 78-79 mph, shows some deception. Flashes a slow curve, 68-71 mph that gets a bit loopy at times, but promising offering that plays well off the power arsenal. Pitches backwards at times. Release is a bit inconsistent and point of emphasis for improvement, towards both command/control of entire arsenal. Very promising prospect that would be a surefire top pick in any draft.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles have interest in Shohei Otani

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » October 20th, 2012, 1:29 am

My bet is that more than four teams have meaningful interest. I do not pretend to know and understand the rules here.

Found this page
http://www.npbtracker.com/2012/10/who-is-shohei-otani/

Super raw and needing a lot of work (what 17/18 year old doesn't). What jumps out at me is 173 pitches he threw. That is an awfully lot of pitches for a young man with such gifts.

Oh to be that young and already have all that velocity. I can just imagine this young man's thoughts right now. Great money and actual care for prospects in America. But he would likely feel like an outsider here which is tough on a young guy.

This would be a big signing if the team could manage it. Also it go a very long way to build upon it's international efforts.

Found another link
http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/category/shohei-otani

This is a far more complicated issue than we think at first glance. My guess is it doesn't happen.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 20th, 2012, 8:15 am

THIS (and players like him) is where we should be spending our FA money. How often in the current drafting system will we be able to add a BONUS solid prospect like him?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by birdwatcher55 » October 20th, 2012, 8:49 am

Sorry but there is no way in **** we put upwards to $50 million in a posting fee for this guy. Not happening in Baltimore my friends 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 20th, 2012, 10:21 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:Sorry but there is no way in **** we put upwards to $50 million in a posting fee for this guy. Not happening in Baltimore my friends 8-)

This isn't a posting situation.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 20th, 2012, 10:35 am

ofahn wrote:
This isn't a posting situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The most any team can offer him is their entire bonus pool? It's basically a matter of where he thinks he'll succeed?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 20th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong. The most any team can offer him is their entire bonus pool? It's basically a matter of where he thinks he'll succeed?

I've read some stories that indicated he was an unrestricted free agent, but they didn't explain why. If he is subject to the rules and would be part of the July 2nd to July 1st timeline than we would have an advantage because we've spent very little of our 2.9M for this 365 day period.

Do you think DD and co. saw this guy coming?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by DashingDave314 » October 20th, 2012, 4:26 pm

I'd like to see the Orioles sign this guy. Obviously, his mechanics need an overhaul, but the sky's the limit as far as his potential. Very good height, just has to fill out his frame. I think he might be worth spending the whole $3 million cap on. Heck, why not? Problem is, I'm sure other MLB teams will be willing to offer him $3 million too. This is more about recruiting than anything else. I think our success with Koji and Wei-Yin might help us in that regard.
DashingDave314
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » October 21st, 2012, 6:46 am

ofahn wrote:
Do you think DD and co. saw this guy coming?

I doubt they saw this particular prospect coming, but it would make sense to make one good push at one player vs. 3 or 4 lackluster ones.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #10 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 8:19 am

Old Sneakers wrote:
I doubt they saw this particular prospect coming, but it would make sense to make one good push at one player vs. 3 or 4 lackluster ones.

That's the way I'd spend my money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 21st, 2012, 9:32 am

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/s ... o-mlb.html

Japanese pitching prospect Shohei Otani announced that he will pursue a career in MLB rather than turn professional in Japan, according to the Associated Press. The Red Sox, Rangers, and Dodgers have all sent representatives to Japan to meet with Otani recently and the Orioles are also said to have interest in the right-hander.

"I think I will start in the minor leagues but I want to challenge in the majors. It's been my dream since entering high school," said the 18-year-old.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 9:51 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/10/shohei-otani-headed-to-mlb.html

You beat me by 60 seconds.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by birdwatcher55 » October 22nd, 2012, 11:40 am

DashingDave314 wrote:I'd like to see the Orioles sign this guy. Obviously, his mechanics need an overhaul, but the sky's the limit as far as his potential. Very good height, just has to fill out his frame. I think he might be worth spending the whole $3 million cap on. Heck, why not? Problem is, I'm sure other MLB teams will be willing to offer him $3 million too. This is more about recruiting than anything else. I think our success with Koji and Wei-Yin might help us in that regard.

If we spend our entire $3 million cap, how will this affect our draft going forward???? :?
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #14 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 11:44 am

birdwatcher55 wrote:If we spend our entire $3 million cap, how will this affect our draft going forward???? :?

On July 2nd we would start over again. Just like every other team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by ofahn » October 22nd, 2012, 12:49 pm

This was posted today on Fox Sports. Unfortunately, it doesn't clarify whether he's a free agent that can sign with any team for any amount, an International Free Agent that is limited to the 2.9M bonus cap, or must enter the Rule 4 Draft in June.

Japanese high school pitcher Shohei Otani says he will pursue a career in Major League Baseball instead of turning professional in Japan.

Otani, a 6-foot-4 right-hander who has thrown a fastball between 99 and 100 mph, has been scouted by several major league teams including the Los Angeles Dodgers and Boston Red Sox.

The 18-year-old Otani said ''I think I will start in the minor leagues but I want to challenge in the majors. It's been my dream since entering high school."

Otani was expected to go in the first round of Thursday's amateur draft in Japan.

If he signs with a major league team, Otani would become the first potential top draft pick to make the direct jump from a Japanese high school to the U.S.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/shoh ... aft-102112
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles