Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should we head into next year with Machado at 3rd?

Re: Should we head into next year with Machado at 3rd?

PostPost #16 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 1:02 pm

A_K wrote:
Leubke, Richard, Cashner, Kelly, Erlin, Wieland, Bass, Sampson, Fried, Elfin > Bundy, Gausman, Chen, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton

At the risk of being repetitious; why?

My evaluation of those pitchers would be different.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by A_K » October 19th, 2012, 1:08 pm

ofahn wrote:
At the risk of being repetitious; why?

My evaluation of those pitchers would be different.

Volume and upside. Their group of pitchers is, besides being larger, generally younger and more unproven. Many would see that as a reason to prefer the Orioles group. To me, the potential ceiling of Arrieta, Matusz and Britton is much lower than it was two years ago. The ceilings of Cashner, Erlin, Wieland, Sampson and Fried, meanwhile, are comparable to those held by the Orioles guys a few years ago. I'm taking the value of 5 unknown lottery tickets over the value of 3 known winning scratch-offs.

Now, Bundy is obviously the best pitcher in this list. But the question was specifically related to depth, and they have more of it.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #18 by Old Sneakers » October 19th, 2012, 1:20 pm

In fairness to Britton he was never billed as going to be a lights out pitcher. He was going to be an efficient ground ball inducing machine that would serve just fine in the back end of a rotation. Which by the way he can absolutely still live up to.

Matusz was over-hyped as a guy that had a chance of being a TOR sort of lefty akin to Cole Hammels. Arrieta figured to be a workhorse type in the middle of the rotation.

I haven't even looked up service times, but it seems to me if anyone is going to be dealt it will be soon to a team really hurting for someone capable of starting now.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #19 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 19th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:I agree with this.

If Hardy is here I would keep Machado at 3B. If Hardy is dealt then Machado should play at SS. There is no question that he is a starter next year.

Agree with you here Jordan, Great glove and above average bat so far. He will only get better the more big league pitchers he sees and more experience he gets with different situations he will face.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #20 by LA Detective » October 19th, 2012, 8:10 pm

What if Manny struggles slightly in the spring? He will be great no doubt but he is still very young..even Trout got sent down for a short time..Then look what Trout did...

I would hope the Os have a small back up plan for this...Manny is special and no doubt he will battle through growing pains and keep getting better but he might get to all star caliber quicker by a short time in AAA...I am not suggesting it but if in the spring he stuggles some it might not be horrible to send him down for a month or so...I know I am probaly hated for thinking it by all of ON but it would only be a small step back for a quicker and bigger step forward...Im just saying that I would like to see the Os invite a decent 3b vet to ST just in case..
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #21 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 11:06 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Matusz was over-hyped as a guy that had a chance of being a TOR sort of lefty

I don't agree that Matusz has been over hyped. Look at his last six weeks of 2010. That's a dominant SP. He has the stuff, he just needs to trust it.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #22 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 11:13 pm

LA Detective wrote:What if Manny struggles slightly in the spring? He will be great no doubt but he is still very young..even Trout got sent down for a short time..Then look what Trout did...

I would hope the Os have a small back up plan for this...Manny is special and no doubt he will battle through growing pains and keep getting better but he might get to all star caliber quicker by a short time in AAA...I am not suggesting it but if in the spring he stuggles some it might not be horrible to send him down for a month or so...I know I am probaly hated for thinking it by all of ON but it would only be a small step back for a quicker and bigger step forward...Im just saying that I would like to see the Os invite a decent 3b vet to ST just in case..

I had envisioned a scenario where Machado started the season in AAA.

Suppose the Orioles traded for Chase Headley without giving up Hardy, and Brian Roberts was ready to play 2B on opening day? Machado would go to Norfolk. If Roberts broke down again then Hardy could move to 2B and Machado would return to play SS.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by Matt P » October 20th, 2012, 1:44 am

ofahn wrote:
The PADRES don't control this situation, we do. WE have the young pitching they need. Not many other tams have a surplus there. WE might be willing to make a reasonable trade for him because we have a need. Few other teams with the same need have the pitching to trade except, perhaps, the As; and they usually won't pay a premium.

If the Padres get ridiculous or the As get crazy the answer is simple: we walk away.

Other than Bundy or Gausman there isn't any pitchers we have that they "need". I think you are severely overrating the Orioles young starters.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #24 by ofahn » October 20th, 2012, 8:52 am

Matt P wrote:Other than Bundy or Gausman there isn't any pitchers we have that they "need". I think you are severely overrating the Orioles young starters.

You have me confused. Just a few days ago you felt we should have traded Arrieta and Matusz plus a prospect to SD for Headley. It sure sounds like you believed SD needed some of our pitching then.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by Matt P » October 21st, 2012, 1:07 am

ofahn wrote:
You have me confused. Just a few days ago you felt we should have traded Arrieta and Matusz plus a prospect to SD for Headley. It sure sounds like you believed SD needed some of our pitching then.

I said that was the rumored offer that the O's turned down and that they should have accepted it.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #26 by ofahn » October 21st, 2012, 8:20 am

Matt P wrote:
I said that was the rumored offer that the O's turned down and that they should have accepted it.

I was under the impression that you wrote that we should have pulled the trigger on that deal. Am I confusing you with someone else?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Matt P » October 21st, 2012, 12:39 pm

ofahn wrote:
I was under the impression that you wrote that we should have pulled the trigger on that deal. Am I confusing you with someone else?

Yes, I feel we should have.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles