Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 14th, 2011, 9:54 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2011/03/14/5- ... -rotation/

With Justin Duchscherer headed for an MRI on his hip, it’s looking more and more likely that he’ll open 2011 on the disabled list. This leaves a rotation spot open for either Zach Britton or Chris Tillman.

Britton has thrown 9 scoreless innings over three appearances, while Tillman has allowed 5 ER (7 R) in 8.2 innings over three appearances this spring. At this point, Britton’s stats are clearly superior to Tillman’s and many have labeled Britton as the front runner to take over for Duchscherer.

I, however, am completely against Britton making the opening day rotation and believe both the Orioles and Britton would be better off with him opening 2011 as a member of the Norfolk rotation.

Here are five reasons why Zach Britton should NOT make the Orioles’ opening day rotation:
  • Limited Triple-A Time
  • Key to Developing Pitching Prospects is Patience: See Rays
  • Quality Innings
  • Service Time, Super Two Status & Contract Length
  • Chris Tillman Needs a Chance
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 14th, 2011, 11:13 pm

John Sickels happened to weighed in on this topic in his All Questions Answered thread today:

Poster:
Not to get worked up with a couple spring training outings, but [Britton] has looked phenomenal so far and looks ready now. Do you think he’s ready to be in the rotation and break camp with the team now and what do you think his ceiling is?

Sickels:
I think he’s probably ready or really close to ready, although given what happened with Tilman and other rushing cases, the Orioles maybe cautious. Another 10 starts in Triple-A certainly won’t hurt anything.

That would put him at about 22 total Triple-A starts. I still think he needs a bit more than 10 no matter how well he pitches.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » March 15th, 2011, 2:39 am

I have to agree with what has been said above. I would add that Brad Bergesen is hardly a lock to hold up as a starter all season long, but is deserving of starting the season in the rotation. Long term, I think Bergesen ends up in middle relief or with another club.

Beyond that though Britton can still improve upon what he's done at Norfolk. Tillman and Arrieta have done about as good as you can ask of any pitcher. Sending either of them to AAA makes no sense at this point. Furthermore Tillman never really got an extended chance. Arrieta may have growing pains but neither is going to get better elsewhere.

When Britton is ready then they will find a place for him in the rotation. Things like this always have a way of shaking themselves out.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 773
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 17th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:I have to agree with what has been said above. I would add that Brad Bergesen is hardly a lock to hold up as a starter all season long, but is deserving of starting the season in the rotation. Long term, I think Bergesen ends up in middle relief or with another club.

I think someone's going to try him out in the bullpen long term, but I'm not convinced he'll stick. I just think he's game is built for starting and don't think he'll find much success coming out of the 'pen.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #5 by DougDE » March 19th, 2011, 2:00 am

I think Britton has to start the season in AAA because of the service time. He switched his agent to Scott Boras so you know he's gonna test free agency as soon as possible so it just makes business sense. Instead of getting the 1st 2 months or so of his age 23 season, you get the entire age 29 season when he would presumably be in his prime. Tillman should get an extended look also
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #6 by BuckMagic » March 19th, 2011, 9:53 am

DougDE wrote:I think Britton has to start the season in AAA because of the service time. He switched his agent to Scott Boras so you know he's gonna test free agency as soon as possible so it just makes business sense. Instead of getting the 1st 2 months or so of his age 23 season, you get the entire age 29 season when he would presumably be in his prime. Tillman should get an extended look also

Great point Doug. When did he switch agents? I don't remember heating about that. But as you said it now makes even more sense for them to keep him down until June.
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #7 by DougDE » March 19th, 2011, 4:45 pm

I believe it was either on Roch or Steve M.'s blog that I read it this winter. Probably like in December. He had a dinner with Boras then made the switch. Said he had never met his current (at the time) agent
DougDE
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 376
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #8 by Don » March 20th, 2011, 1:30 pm

Throwing my two cents in the forum....

1. I would not worry about Super 2 and saving him another year before hitting free agency. I do not say this with regards to controlling him, but it is due to the fact that the new collective agreement is going to throw this idea out the window. MLBPA has taken notice of the delays with young ready to go guy such a Longoria, Wieters, Strasburg, etc... and they are going to put a squash to it. My gut feeling is that acrude dating system is going to be reduced and it will not factor one bit whether Britton starts in April or June.

2. As in life, everyone is on thier own biological clock. Some guys need 1,000 at bats and others can use 400 at bats. Some guys need 500 innings and others need 200 innings. It is just life and there is no set rule in place that make one better than the other. It will always be based on factors that you can never set in stone; it is a heavy shade of grey. I do not like what Tampa does to some of thier prospects because they simply do these measures as a manipulative way to keep payroll down for years. They waiting too long last season to keep a prize piece in the minors and he was ready. They may have keep some guys down too long now. It is fine if you do it for development, but at the cost of simply holding guys down to cheap cut them is not something I take lightly.


Overall, I am not saying that Zac is ready. I am saying you always take the best 5 that are ready for the majors. What can Britton show at Norfolk besides the command he already carries in spring training. Chris Tillman should get a chance ahead of him, but I still wonder out loud about Brad. He has looked so-so and this is being nice. You can bring him up, but with options on the table you can yank him quickly for Britton.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #9 by Don » March 25th, 2011, 1:33 pm

Well Zac is now on the table because Brad Bergesen may have just broke his arm. He took a liner off it in the first and I was told that he rushed off the field with Richie.

Jordan, any close hand account that you could give. I was told this over the phone a few minutes back from a friend at the game.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 25th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Don wrote:Well Zac is now on the table because Brad Bergesen may have just broke his arm. He took a liner off it in the first and I was told that he rushed off the field with Richie.

Jordan, any close hand account that you could give. I was told this over the phone a few minutes back from a friend at the game.

X-rays on Bergesen's right forearm came back negative.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #11 by Don » March 25th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Yeah I saw the update and that is good to hear.

What was not so nice to hear is Ryan Berry on the shelf for an extended period of time with the drained cyst. They have to see if the cyst fluid builds up quickly. It could be a key indicator of a sheath, which you have to think the MRI could reveal any number of things. If the build up is not alarming, something in his earlier years was not completely corrected and this is a problem that he will face until whatever minor issue is cleared up.
User avatar
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 699
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 25

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #12 by allstar1579 » March 25th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Don wrote:Yeah I saw the update and that is good to hear.

What was not so nice to hear is Ryan Berry on the shelf for an extended period of time with the drained cyst. They have to see if the cyst fluid builds up quickly. It could be a key indicator of a sheath, which you have to think the MRI could reveal any number of things. If the build up is not alarming, something in his earlier years was not completely corrected and this is a problem that he will face until whatever minor issue is cleared up.


Thanks again, Rice U.
allstar1579
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 162
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 0

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #13 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 25th, 2011, 9:53 pm

allstar1579 wrote:
Don wrote:Yeah I saw the update and that is good to hear.

What was not so nice to hear is Ryan Berry on the shelf for an extended period of time with the drained cyst. They have to see if the cyst fluid builds up quickly. It could be a key indicator of a sheath, which you have to think the MRI could reveal any number of things. If the build up is not alarming, something in his earlier years was not completely corrected and this is a problem that he will face until whatever minor issue is cleared up.


Thanks again, Rice U.

Great article on pitchers drafted out of Rice: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/3/9 ... l-baseball

Little success found here...Jeff Niemann and David Aardsma are the two bright spots.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #14 by BuckMagic » March 27th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Jordan wrote:
allstar1579 wrote:
Don wrote:Yeah I saw the update and that is good to hear.

What was not so nice to hear is Ryan Berry on the shelf for an extended period of time with the drained cyst. They have to see if the cyst fluid builds up quickly. It could be a key indicator of a sheath, which you have to think the MRI could reveal any number of things. If the build up is not alarming, something in his earlier years was not completely corrected and this is a problem that he will face until whatever minor issue is cleared up.


Thanks again, Rice U.

Great article on pitchers drafted out of Rice: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2011/3/9 ... l-baseball

Little success found here...Jeff Niemann and David Aardsma are the two bright spots.


Message to all MLB Teams: Don't draft pitchers from Rice U.
User avatar
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 323
Joined: September 2010
Reputation Score: 5

Re: 5 Reasons Britton Shouldnt Make the Opening Day Rotation

PostPost #15 by oriolesmagic28 » March 27th, 2011, 10:27 pm

Britton will definitely start in AAA Norfork, where he can get innings in, while the Orioles retain another year with rights to him. Towards the end of April, if needed Britton will be called up to make his major league debut. If not in April, you can count on Britton being called up sometime throughout the season. I feel he and Nolan Reimold will follow similar, if not the same paths.
oriolesmagic28
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 21
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 0


Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron