Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

40-Man Roster Shuffling

40-Man Roster Shuffling

PostPost #1 by osforlife » October 12th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Who is gonna be on it come opening day 2013? Who's on the bubble, who's defintily off? Heres the complete list:
34 Jake Arrieta
38 Luis Ayala
53 Zach Britton
49 Dylan Bundy
16 Wei-Yin Chen
50 Miguel Gonzalez
39 Jason Hammel
29 Tommy Hunter
43 Jim Johnson
52 Steve Johnson
17 Brian Matusz
56 Darren O'Day
40 Troy Patton
58 Zach Phillips
48 Joe Saunders
47 Pedro Strop
30 Chris Tillman
59 Luis Exposito
31 Taylor Teagarden
32 Matt Wieters
11 Robert Andino
24 Wilson Betemit
19 Chris Davis
3 Ryan Flaherty
2 J.J. Hardy
13 Manny Machado
54 Joe Mahoney
28 Steve Pearce
35 Omar Quintanilla
12 Mark Reynolds
6 Steve Tolleson
70 Xavier Avery
27 Endy Chavez
51 Lew Ford
37 Bill Hall
71 L.J. Hoes
10 Adam Jones
21 Nick Markakis
9 Nate McLouth
25 Jim Thome
Last edited by osforlife on October 12th, 2012, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: 40-Man Roster Shuffling

PostPost #2 by osforlife » October 12th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Heres who would be my definite cuts to not be in the teams plans next year:
Omar Quintanilla
Luis Exposito
Steve Tolleson
Endy Chavez
Lew Ford
Bill Hall
Jim Thome

Heres who would be my on the bubble to be in next years plans:
Joe Saunders
Nate McLouth
Mark Reynolds
Luis Ayala
Steve Pearce

Heres who need to be added:
Tsuyoshi Wada
Brian Roberts
Nolan Reimold
Stu Pomeranz

Nick Johnson and Randy Wolf won't be apart of next year either.
Last edited by osforlife on December 1st, 2012, 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 12th, 2012, 8:24 pm

Chavez, Quintanilla, Pearce, Thome, Hall, Ford, Tolleson, Mahoney, Exposito, Ayala, and Saunders will be off the 40-man entering 2013 ST.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Matt P » October 12th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Saunders was great for the O's. I see no reason to not bring him back as long as the price is right. Worst case scenario he becomes a dominant LOOGY who isn't helpless against RHB.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #5 by ofahn » October 16th, 2012, 12:45 pm

We're going to have to remove some of the older role players from our roster to protect some of our better prospects. The addition of Hoes at the end of the season takes care of one of those players. I honestly expect that we'll make a few trades that will shuffle the roster but not cause a numbers crunch. I have placed an asterisk beside those players that I expect to see on the 25 Man Roster.

ON the 40 Man Roster

34 Jake Arrieta
53 Zach Britton
49 Dylan Bundy
16 Wei-Yin Chen*
50 Miguel Gonzalez*
39 Jason Hammel*
29 Tommy Hunter*
43 Jim Johnson*
52 Steve Johnson*
17 Brian Matusz
56 Darren O'Day*
40 Troy Patton*
Wada*
48 Joe Saunders* - resigned to a one year contract
47 Pedro Strop*
30 Chris Tillman* - IMO his spot is contingent on us not obtaining a TOR
31 Taylor Teagarden*
32 Matt Wieters*
11 Robert Andino*
24 Wilson Betemit*
19 Chris Davis*
3 Ryan Flaherty - IMO his spot is contingent on Brain Roberts not being ready to play on Opening Day.
2 J.J. Hardy* - could be trade bait
13 Manny Machado*
12 Mark Reynolds* - was my biggest doubt about the 25 Man Roster
70 Xavier Avery
71 L.J. Hoes
10 Adam Jones*
21 Nick Markakis*
9 Nate McLouth* - resigned to a one year contract with a vested option
2 Brian Roberts* - If he's healthy he gets a spot
Nolan Reimold* - If he's healthy he gets a spot
Oliver Drake
Stuart Pomeranz

Total of 34

OFF the 40 Man Roster

38 Luis Ayala
58 Zach Phillips
54 Joe Mahoney
28 Steve Pearce - I would make him a generous minor league offer. He might be the perfect platoon with McLouth in LF
35 Omar Quintanilla
6 Steve Tolleson
27 Endy Chavez
51 Lew Ford
37 Bill Hall
59 Luis Exposito
25 Jim Thome
Randy Wolf
Nick Johnson
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by A_K » October 16th, 2012, 4:04 pm

At this point I don't understand keeping Brian Roberts around, even if they do so accepting that he's a long shot to contribute, as they did last year. Aside from being unhealthy, he's also old and unproductive. Not worth a roster spot.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 16th, 2012, 4:22 pm

A_K wrote:At this point I don't understand keeping Brian Roberts around, even if they do so accepting that he's a long shot to contribute, as they did last year. Aside from being unhealthy, he's also old and unproductive. Not worth a roster spot.

Granted, but if the FO wouldn't get rid of Gregg (a player the fans DIDN'T like) at half of Roberts' salary, what makes you think they will get rid of a player the fans (and PA) DOES like?

The worse that Roberts will cost us is a spot on the 40 Man over the winter and I don't think he'll bump any solid prospects. I don't see us going for a Rule 5 player so we should be OK there. If he's unable to make the opening day roster we can always put him back on the 60 Day DL and clear a roster space on the 40 Man.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by birdwatcher55 » October 19th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I believe Ayala has another year on his contract...Also I would not be too quick to cut bait with Lew Ford 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #9 by osforlife » October 19th, 2012, 2:52 pm

birdwatcher55 wrote:I believe Ayala has another year on his contract...Also I would not be too quick to cut bait with Lew Ford 8-)

I like Lew Ford. He was a hustler, a great story, and had some suprising speed to go along with some pop in his bat. I couldn't tell you how many would be doubles he just pulled foul down the third base line. Him and Steve Pearce are similiar players. Unfortunately but fortunately, Reimold will be healthy. I could see no harm in bringing one of them back on a minor league deal really though.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » October 24th, 2012, 7:04 am

The nice thing about this winter is that we'll lose a player or two because we have more legitimate talent than we have roster spots. WHEN was the last time you can remember THAT happening?

We should be able to protect the better young prospects, but I could see us losing someone like Zach Clark (age 29) in the Rule 5 Draft. He's finally gotten to the point where he might be considered a legitimate bullpen piece, but we have at least seven RHs in the bullpen we have good reason to believe are better than him. Maybe he'll be packaged in a trade before the draft.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Rising O's » October 24th, 2012, 8:17 pm

ofahn wrote:
Granted, but if the FO wouldn't get rid of Gregg (a player the fans DIDN'T like) at half of Roberts' salary, what makes you think they will get rid of a player the fans (and PA) DOES like?

The worse that Roberts will cost us is a spot on the 40 Man over the winter and I don't think he'll bump any solid prospects. I don't see us going for a Rule 5 player so we should be OK there. If he's unable to make the opening day roster we can always put him back on the 60 Day DL and clear a roster space on the 40 Man.

Well if they refuse to learn from their mistakes...

Exactly, there is no reason to lose a prospect of any value for Brian Roberts. If he loves the Orioles, and wants to be here, you release and sign him to minor league deal.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #12 by Rising O's » October 24th, 2012, 8:45 pm

The Orioles got lucky last year when Buck was forced to go with Markakis in the lead-off roll. He refused to make that move and remove Hardy from the #2. Both moves hurt the offense. The off-season question should be, will Markakis continue to hit 1 or 2 or will Buck go back to being stubborn.

The starting rotation I believe is set with Hammel, Tillman, Chen and Gonzalez. The depth is there for a #5 to fill in and those 2 guys at AA might make a push. If they re-sign Saunders its fine because having a balanced 1-5 is a very good thing to have, especially if we can improve the offense.

The bullpen is pretty much set with a great mix of talent. Its nice not to have to worry about it for the fist time in forever. J Johnson, S Johnson, Strop, O'Day, Patton, Matusz, Arrieta plus others

I would trade Wilson Betemit as I believe Chris Davis is a better overall fit.

I nontender Andino, Flaherty, Teagarden. The Orioles need to get better production here. I don't feel any of these guys will be missed.

I decline Reynolds option. I think he's just too one dimensional to give 11m, and would not even offer arbitration if he's looking to get 9m. I year deal, 5-6m plus incentives. If the Orioles improve their offense at 2nd and LF I'm okay with him at 1st.

Release Brian Roberts, offer a minor league deal. DFA Reimold, I just feel at certain points you need to move on. If he passes waivers, and he might given the spinal surgery, I try to do a minor league deal. I think if you keep playing this guessing game you put the organization behind in its ability to prepare a workable 25 man roster.

Wada will be on the 40, then moved to the 60 day DL.

I'd love to see the team sign Torii Hunter to play LF. McClouth as the back-up in LF/CF. I'm a little worried, not sure if Hunter is cheating to keep up with the fastball these days. But also going with another RH platoon hitter to go with McClouth works.

Scuttoro or Keppinger at 2nd. Both are very good hitters and I believe the team needs better production at 2nd if they are going to win the AL East.

Tommy Hunter is on the bubble, it really depends on what he can get in arbitration. He might cost too much for a middle reliever, even if he can start a couple of games.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #13 by ofahn » October 24th, 2012, 9:09 pm

Rising O's wrote:I would trade Wilson Betemit as I believe Chris Davis is a better overall fit.

I would Betemit but it would be because I don't think his bat makes up enough for his glove, and we can do better at DH.

Rising O's wrote:I nontender Andino, Flaherty, Teagarden.

Andino might go, but there's enough time before we need to make that decision that we might be able to get something for him in trade. Flaherty has options left so there's no reason to get rid of him. Teagarden was brought in for his glove. He's cheap, young, and we don't have anyone in our farm system to replace him so he's not going anywhere.

Rising O's wrote:I decline Reynolds option. I think he's just too one dimensional to give 11m, and would not even offer arbitration if he's looking to get 9m. I year deal, 5-6m plus incentives. If the Orioles improve their offense at 2nd and LF I'm okay with him at 1st.

I could see Reynolds future with the team connected with our decision in LF. If the team believes it can add enough CONSISTENT offense there then I could see them gambling on Chris Davis improving enough that he becomes league average or better on defense. We already know he can hit. The name Kevin Youklis may also come up in discussion for 1B OR 3B.

Rising O's wrote:Release Brian Roberts

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. There's a better chance that Maryland will criminalize crab cakes than the Orioles release Brian Roberts this winter. If he can't play next season then I could see him go, but he would probably just finish his acreer with us on the 60 Day DL.

Rising O's wrote:DFA Reimold, I just feel at certain points you need to move on. If he passes waivers, and he might given the spinal surgery, I try to do a minor league deal. I think if you keep playing this guessing game you put the organization behind in its ability to prepare a workable 25 man roster.

Why would you give up on what might be the best natural hitter in this organization? If he can't play in ST THEN I could see him being let go, but he would probably go on the 60 Man too.

Rising O's wrote:Wada will be on the 40, then moved to the 60 day DL.

Let's see what he looks like in February.

Rising O's wrote:I'd love to see the team sign Torii Hunter to play LF. McClouth as the back-up in LF/CF. I'm a little worried, not sure if Hunter is cheating to keep up with the fastball these days. But also going with another RH platoon hitter to go with McClouth works.

It would be a GREAT signing IF he's willing to take a ONE YEAR DEAL. I wouldn't sign him for anything longer.

Rising O's wrote:Scuttoro or Keppinger at 2nd. Both are very good hitters and I believe the team needs better production at 2nd if they are going to win the AL East.

Both would be solid players, but Scutaro probably stays in SF.

Rising O's wrote:Tommy Hunter is on the bubble, it really depends on what he can get in arbitration. He might cost too much for a middle reliever, even if he can start a couple of games.

IMO Hunter has lock down closer potential. He's a keeper.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » December 1st, 2012, 9:48 am

Thome, Hall, Ford, Chavez, Mahoney, Quintanilla, Tolleson, Chavez, Pomeranz, McLouth, Saunders, Wolf, Johnson, Phillips, and Reynolds have all been removed from the 40-man roster.
Pearce is safe for now. Teagarden is safe for now. Tolleson has signed with the White-sox. Mahoney has been claimed by the Marlins. The Orioles' will most likely being looking to re-sign Pomeranz, McLouth, and Saunders.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles