Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

#29 Prospect - Matt Bywater

#29 Prospect - Matt Bywater

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » March 15th, 2011, 11:54 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9345

On August 16th, 2010 at 12:00 AM, just 24 hours before the midnight signing deadline, it looked more and more likely that Matt Bywater, the Orioles’ 7th round pick, would go unsigned. Rumors were floating around that he was going to return to Pepperdine for a 4th year of college and the Orioles were unwilling to up their offer. However, with just four hours before the signing deadline, the Orioles and Bywater agreed to terms.

Full top 50 list
29. Matt Bywater
30. Luis Lebron
31. Luis Noel
32. Tim Berry
33. Jaime Esquivel
34. Michael Ohlman
35. Rick Zagone
36. Ashur Tolliver
37. Wynston Sawyer
38. Brenden Webb
39. Troy Patton
40. Eddie Gamboa
41. Chorye Spoone
42. Brandon Waring
43. Greg Miclat
44. Jake Cowan
45. Ronnie Welty
46. Kyle Hudson
47. Sebastian Vader
48. Jarret Martin
49. Dudley Leonora
50. Justin Dalles
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: #29 Prospect - Matt Bywater

PostPost #2 by BuckMagic » March 18th, 2011, 10:55 pm

He does not seem to intriguing to me...looks like a #5 starter at best. You compare him to Rick Zagone...that's a bad thing.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #3 by DougDE » March 19th, 2011, 3:01 am

I'll take a lefty or two with a great changeup every draft. They always have a chance. Comparisons to another player dont discourage me, he's Matt Bywater, not Rick Zagone. Same could be said for the positive comparison to Matusz. If he becomes a #5 big league starter I'd say that's good return on a 7th rounder. A #5 is a #1 on the day he starts.
DougDE
GCL Orioles

PostPost #4 by BuckMagic » March 19th, 2011, 9:56 am

DougDE wrote:I'll take a lefty or two with a great changeup every draft. They always have a chance. Comparisons to another player dont discourage me, he's Matt Bywater, not Rick Zagone. Same could be said for the positive comparison to Matusz. If he becomes a #5 big league starter I'd say that's good return on a 7th rounder. A #5 is a #1 on the day he starts.

I guess so. I just think the Orioles need to be taking more chances rather than going for guys like Bywater who you pretty much know what you are getting. Very minimal ceiling here...
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Don » March 19th, 2011, 11:16 am

Not every pitcher needs to be a top of the line starter or late inning shutdown artist. The Orioles need to continue to build a complete staff. Bywater is not a projectable, but still should move quickly through the system. There is nothing wrong with middle relief.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #6 by chirping birds » March 21st, 2011, 10:48 am

I just dont really get your logic Buck Magic...he led the nation in complete game shutouts last season and according to scouts has the best changeup in the entire 2010 draft class...but yea, no ceiling
chirping birds
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #7 by Don » March 21st, 2011, 11:34 am

I think Buck means "you see what you get" from him. I do not see much room for growth that could say "he could gain 30 lbs and put 5 MPH on the fastball" or he is 18 and still could grow and fill out. He is considered a mature, polished, college pitcher.

I tend to see little wiggle room, but he could be a back of the rotation guy or middle relief pitcher. The organization needs multiple types of prospects and there is always room for the Matt Bywater's of the world on each 25 man roster. If he shows the solid command, he can easily fit through on the team in some capacity. He will advance rather quickly through the organization and could be in the late 2012 and 2013 seasons.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #8 by BuckMagic » March 21st, 2011, 5:48 pm

chirping birds wrote:I just dont really get your logic Buck Magic...he led the nation in complete game shutouts last season and according to scouts has the best changeup in the entire 2010 draft class...but yea, no ceiling

Don nailed it. Bywater basically is what he is at this point. He's probably a #4 at best...that's a "minimal" ceiling in my book, which is what I stated before.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Return to Minor Leagues