Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 17th, 2012, 5:08 pm

I'm redesigning the main content areas of ON. The posts, player profiles, library, etc.

The new look is hopefully going to be more minimalist and also make the site faster. I'm doing this before I push out some new content which I'm really excited about.

Any tips for the design or suggested features are welcome in this thread.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » October 17th, 2012, 10:44 pm

To be honest Jordan, the site is great as is. The forum members are first rate people and its a great environment.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 779
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 18th, 2012, 8:32 am

Old Sneakers wrote:To be honest Jordan, the site is great as is. The forum members are first rate people and its a great environment.

Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Maybe I will just clean up the code a bit and leave the design as is.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 18th, 2012, 9:30 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:Thanks! I really appreciate it.

Maybe I will just clean up the code a bit and leave the design as is.


Jordan,

Why fix a design that isn't broken? Now, about your avg. with RISP..........................
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #5 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 18th, 2012, 6:13 pm

The only thing I would reccomend would be that you could make a like or dislike option for each individual comment on the forum.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 51
Joined: August 2012
Reputation Score: 2

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #6 by docjj » October 18th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Love this site! I have been to many O's sites. The Hangout is still quite excellent, but I like the people who post here. Very informed and insightful. The other sites have a mix of informed and completely clueless.
docjj
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 182
Joined: January 2011
Reputation Score: 3

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #7 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 19th, 2012, 12:42 am

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:The only thing I would reccomend would be that you could make a like or dislike option for each individual comment on the forum.

There's the green button on each post where you can give reputation if you enjoyed the post. I chose to eliminate the negative button because I saw no use for it. I'd rather have people just skip over posts they don't like instead of making it known that they did not like it.

Also, I don't want people giving negative likes simply because they disagreed with a post. So I removed it.

Thanks for the suggestion as always!
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 19th, 2012, 12:43 am

ofahn wrote:
Jordan,

Why fix a design that isn't broken? Now, about your avg. with RISP..........................

That is true! I'm just going to work on simplifying the design instead of completely re-doing it.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 19th, 2012, 12:43 am

docjj wrote:Love this site! I have been to many O's sites. The Hangout is still quite excellent, but I like the people who post here. Very informed and insightful. The other sites have a mix of informed and completely clueless.

Really happy to hear that!
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » October 19th, 2012, 3:05 am

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:The only thing I would reccomend would be that you could make a like or dislike option for each individual comment on the forum.


Or instead of positive/negative rating, what about the option to assign a number from 1 to 10. 1 being the lowest 10 being high praise?
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 779
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 32

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 6:54 am

MikeNewcomb92 wrote:The only thing I would reccomend would be that you could make a like or dislike option for each individual comment on the forum.


This post might be helpful for you.

viewtopic.php?f=20&p=12623#p12623
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4402
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 19th, 2012, 9:08 am

Old Sneakers wrote:
Or instead of positive/negative rating, what about the option to assign a number from 1 to 10. 1 being the lowest 10 being high praise?

That would be good but unfortunately there isn't a plugin to do that.

I like the 1-point system because it's simple and only encourages positive feedback.
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57



Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #13 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 19th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:There's the green button on each post where you can give reputation if you enjoyed the post. I chose to eliminate the negative button because I saw no use for it. I'd rather have people just skip over posts they don't like instead of making it known that they did not like it.

Also, I don't want people giving negative likes simply because they disagreed with a post. So I removed it.

Thanks for the suggestion as always!


Ok in that case I like that reason, thanks Jordan.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 51
Joined: August 2012
Reputation Score: 2

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #14 by MikeNewcomb92 » October 19th, 2012, 7:53 pm

ofahn wrote:
This post might be helpful for you.

viewtopic.php?f=20&p=12623#p12623


Thank you sir, good write up by the way I appreciate that.
MikeNewcomb92
DSL Orioles
 
Posts: 51
Joined: August 2012
Reputation Score: 2

Re: I'm redesigning Orioles Nation

PostPost #15 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 23rd, 2012, 7:29 pm

I'd love some feedback on the new home page.

Good, or too cluttered? All feedback is appreciated.

http://orioles-nation.com/
User avatar
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 2588
Joined: September 2010
Location: Israel
Reputation Score: 57




Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Seafordeagles and 6 guests

cron