Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should we head into next year with Machado at 3rd?

Should we head into next year with Machado at 3rd?

PostPost #1 by docjj » October 17th, 2012, 3:43 pm

I know that wasn't the original plan. But he hit well and played terrific Defense. The alternatives aren't very appealing on the roster and in free agency.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Should we head into next year with Machado at 3rd?

PostPost #2 by Matt P » October 17th, 2012, 3:51 pm

I think we should head into next year with Machado. Whether he is at 3B or SS depends on the moves available to be made throughout the off season.
Matt P
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 37

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » October 17th, 2012, 5:02 pm

Matt P wrote:I think we should head into next year with Machado. Whether he is at 3B or SS depends on the moves available to be made throughout the off season.

I agree with this.

If Hardy is here I would keep Machado at 3B. If Hardy is dealt then Machado should play at SS. There is no question that he is a starter next year.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » October 17th, 2012, 10:49 pm

He's earned it. He has room to improve his game at the plate drawing more walks and likely increasing his average. I just do not see a reason to not having him playing in Baltimore. Power will improve with time, pitch recognition likely will require repetition.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by A_K » October 18th, 2012, 12:16 pm

Curious why there's so little discussion of moving Hardy to 2B, where we also have a hole. I realize his range and arm strength would be wasted there, but we're also minimizing Machado's value by keeping him at 3B. If we're going to have one of them playing at a position that minimizes their value anyway, I'd rather get the young player who's part of the organization's next 10 years at the position that maximizes his value.

Maybe there's a scouting explanation? Is there reason to believe Hardy can't play 2B?
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #6 by ofahn » October 18th, 2012, 2:01 pm

A_K wrote:Curious why there's so little discussion of moving Hardy to 2B, where we also have a hole. I realize his range and arm strength would be wasted there, but we're also minimizing Machado's value by keeping him at 3B. If we're going to have one of them playing at a position that minimizes their value anyway, I'd rather get the young player who's part of the organization's next 10 years at the position that maximizes his value.

Maybe there's a scouting explanation? Is there reason to believe Hardy can't play 2B?

Frankly, I HAVE thought about it because, IF we can trade for Headley without having to give up Hardy or Schoop, we would have plus defenders at 2B, SS, and 3B through the 2014 season at which point Schoop would be ready for 2B.

This is just a guess, but I think that Hardy would be VERY reluctant to move to second base if he thought that Roberts wanted to play there next season. IMO if Roberts gave his blessing Hardy would make the move and would handle the position well.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by birdwatcher55 » October 18th, 2012, 2:58 pm

According to DD today, it's Machado (3B) and Hardy (SS) for the next two years. That should effectively end the Headley discussion 8-)
birdwatcher55
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #8 by rudyrooster » October 18th, 2012, 3:25 pm

I'm leary of trading for Headley. I think the Padres are gonna ask way too much in return for a guy whom might turn-out to be a "one year wonder". Go back and look at Headley's previous 4 seasons in the majors then look at his inflated "power-numbers" for this season. It's a real head-scratcher. I'm actually more interested in some of the other parts the Padres might be shopping around this winter...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by A_K » October 18th, 2012, 4:46 pm

If we play Machado at 3B for the next two years, he'll never play SS again and we will have effectively reduced the value of the best positional commodity that's come through the system in three decades. It would be a massive failure and it'd be hard not to attribute it to the short-term decision to bring him up for the playoff run.

I was fine with bringing him up to play third this year. But leaving him there long-term is one of two things: a) a strategic disaster, or b) an admission that they never believed he could play SS in the first place.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by rudyrooster » October 19th, 2012, 12:52 am

Cal Jr. says that Machados time at 3b will benefit him (as it did Cal) when he eventually makes the move to SS. That's good enough for me...
rudyrooster
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 8:17 am

rudyrooster wrote:I'm leary of trading for Headley. I think the Padres are gonna ask way too much in return

The PADRES don't control this situation, we do. WE have the young pitching they need. Not many other tams have a surplus there. WE might be willing to make a reasonable trade for him because we have a need. Few other teams with the same need have the pitching to trade except, perhaps, the As; and they usually won't pay a premium.

If the Padres get ridiculous or the As get crazy the answer is simple: we walk away.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by A_K » October 19th, 2012, 10:24 am

rudyrooster wrote:Cal Jr. says that Machados time at 3b will benefit him (as it did Cal) when he eventually makes the move to SS. That's good enough for me...

I'm sure that's true in the context of playing at 3B for two months. But if Machado plays 3B for the next two years it's a done deal. He'll never play SS again.

ofahn wrote:
The PADRES don't control this situation, we do. WE have the young pitching they need. Not many other tams have a surplus there. WE might be willing to make a reasonable trade for him because we have a need. Few other teams with the same need have the pitching to trade except, perhaps, the As; and they usually won't pay a premium.

If the Padres get ridiculous or the As get crazy the answer is simple: we walk away.

I'd argue that the Padres, as of today, have better young pitching depth than the Orioles.
A_K
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » October 19th, 2012, 11:03 am

A_K wrote:If we play Machado at 3B for the next two years, he'll never play SS again and we will have effectively reduced the value of the best positional commodity that's come through the system in three decades. It would be a massive failure and it'd be hard not to attribute it to the short-term decision to bring him up for the playoff run.

I was fine with bringing him up to play third this year. But leaving him there long-term is one of two things: a) a strategic disaster, or b) an admission that they never believed he could play SS in the first place.

It was a question mark from the get go if Machado would even stick at SS when he was drafted. But your right, him playing above average SS and becoming a fine hitter from that position was a big part of his value. At 3B he will have to hit for a significantly larger threshold of power (25 HRs Annually) and be outstanding defensively for a very long time to balance that value.

This is also why drafting and developing position players at SS, CF and 2B is tough. Most players don't stick. Can Machado move over to SS in 2+ years time? No rule saying he can't, but it won't be easy to make the transition. He will have to want it and be dedicated to it.

It's too early to get derailed here with a discussion about draft philosophy. However, I will say that apart from SP prospects a team should target a SS, CF or 2B early each year in the draft. Hopefully this past years 3rd round choice Adrian Marin really pays off and a move to SS for Machado doesn't sound like such a concern. Sadly it's way too early to tell.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #14 by ofahn » October 19th, 2012, 11:24 am

A_K wrote:I'd argue that the Padres, as of today, have better young pitching depth than the Orioles.

OK, why?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by A_K » October 19th, 2012, 12:28 pm

ofahn wrote:
OK, why?

Leubke, Richard, Cashner, Kelly, Erlin, Wieland, Bass, Sampson, Fried, Elfin > Bundy, Gausman, Chen, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Britton
A_K
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles